BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #61
armandov99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

And here I thought it was because of my upgrade to 4.2...I've had NO data service for about 3 hours now. I noticed a friend's Cingular BB wasn't working either, I thought that was kind of strange. Sounds like a big outage! Hopefully it will be back up tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #62
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Here's lookin' at you NJ...

"Me Too!"

hit and miss emails coming in to our Blackberry devices since 7pm or so EST. Reconciliation features seem most affected, email delivery to handhelds least affected.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #63
Lokatana

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

For those trying to get into the irc channel and it says it's full... ooops. we can't get an admin to remove the limit. try joining #blackberry_outage instead.

-Lokatana
Old 04-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #64
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

What I find most interesting about this is that *one* outage can take down the entire continent (or whatever parts of it); I mean, what ever happened to redundancy, rerouting and multiple backbones? How in the world can we be 100% (according to the post above) offline, is the system that non-fault tolerant?

I don't pretend to know what goes on behind the curtain with RIM, but in many other segments/places there would a whole lot of techs looking for new jobs today. Given RIM's market cap, size and public responsibility this should just not be happening.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #65
drew138
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

Has RIM offered an official update on the status of this issue?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #66
justanothertier2tech

Model: 6510
Carrier: nextel

Quote:
I don't pretend to know what goes on behind the curtain with RIM, but in many other segments/places there would a whole lot of techs looking for new jobs today. Given RIM's market cap, size and public responsibility this should just not be happening.

Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #67
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
What I find most interesting about this is that *one* outage can take down the entire continent (or whatever parts of it); I mean, what ever happened to redundancy, rerouting and multiple backbones? How in the world can we be 100% (according to the post above) offline, is the system that non-fault tolerant?

remember rim have to pay those MILLIONS dollar settlement that they lose to NTP. so they are spending money elsewhere instead of redundancy. i think rim stock is about to take a dip either tomorrow or sometimes this week.

time to short..lol.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:01 PM   #68
rYno
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I can send emails but not receive currently... I'm on TMO in arizona
Old 04-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #69
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew138 View Post
Has RIM offered an official update on the status of this issue?
To those who receive outage notifications, yes. Scroll up to justanothertier2tech's post for the content of the email being sent by RIM. They just sent out another email a minute ago with an unchanged status being reported.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:06 PM   #70
2004ep3hatch

Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post

i made that statement about the whole system. yes NBC said exactly that (100% down) and they said RIM is working on restarting their systems
Old 04-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #71
jhladun

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Default Connect via srp.ca.blackberry.net

We're down here as well, through Rogers Wireless.
PIN is failing as well.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #72
Indy_IT_Admin

Carrier: Stinkular
Default Has anyone heard about RIM being down?

Okay, just kidding. Please don't ban be yet.

Is it possible to redirect the SRP address to one of the europe addresses to get our BES working until the US servers are back up? If no I woudl be curious as to why not.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #73
Indy_IT_Admin

Default Has anyone heard about RIM being down?

Okay, just kidding. Please don't ban me yet.

Is it possible to redirect the SRP address to one of the europe addresses to get our BES working until the US servers are back up? If no I woudl be curious as to why not.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #74
jibi
BlackBerry God

The percentage comes into play with the subscribers affected not the systems down. I'm sure all of their systems are up and online and functional. The reality of fault tolerance is that there's no way to ensure 100% uptime, no matter who you are. If it can fail, it will fail, eventually (and that goes for data redundancy plans, as well).
Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 PM   #75
justanothertier2tech

Model: 6510
Carrier: nextel

just had a cust do a register now that apparently went right thru and began to load on his 7520....he was in vegas.....who knows?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #76
beep

Carrier: Cingular
Default Still nothing 9:19PM PST

We went srp not responding at 5pm, srp was up by 6pm pst. Dispatcher showed good SRP at 6PM, but no messages are going out/in. Hope they are getting a handle on this soon
Old 04-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #77
Indy_IT_Admin

Default Yup

Couldn't agree more. I've just adopted the philosophy over the last couple of years, "Why even try?". Back to reality, it is likely that someone dropped the ball here at RIM and it is difficult to plan for ID10T programs and PICNIC bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
The percentage comes into play with the subscribers affected not the systems down. I'm sure all of their systems are up and online and functional. The reality of fault tolerance is that there's no way to ensure 100% uptime, no matter who you are. If it can fail, it will fail, eventually (and that goes for data redundancy plans, as well).
Couldn't agree more. I've just adopted the philosophy over the last couple of years, "Why even try?". Back to reality, it is likely that someone dropped the ball here at RIM and it is difficult to plan for ID10T programs and PICNIC bugs.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #78
beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhladun View Post
We're down here as well, through Rogers Wireless.
PIN is failing as well.

Bad thing that PIN is down too...not working for me either. Thanks for confirming.

Brian
Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #79
Wishdemon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Oh C'mon - Im with you NJ - how many ppl can keep saying the same exact thing?

We'd think that we are all educated individuals (as having a bb and reading this forum gives a slight impression of) and that after reading that phrase "nationwide outage" "no ETA" etc. we'd realize how pointless it is to state "I have no email in bumf**k, idaho?" after the previous inordinate number of individuals have already said the same thing?

NOT FLAMING ANYONE here - just agreeing with NJ in the sense that after maybe the first 10 or so posts, and definitely after the post that explains its a nationwide outage, stating that you arent getting emails is pointless, albeit a useful tool to vent anger/frustration (I do the whole shoot a pillow with a 9mm like Robert Deniro did in Analyze That)....

What would have been better is to post once you HAVE RECEIVED emails, that way others can check their bb's and see if the issue has been resolved.

And as for the horrific incident at VA-Tech, there are no words to express how horrible of an incident that was. I think all I could say is that my prayers, as I am sure a ton of other forum members, are with the family, friends, and others of those taken on Monday....my apologies if this hijacks this thread - lets not do that since this thread is concerned with the outage.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #80
EuroKRN

Mine's working now. In SF, CA, on Cingular.
Closed Thread