BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 08:22 AM   #21
PhilMax
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g

Please Login to Remove!

I wouldn't know what goes through the mind of a "petty criminal", not being one myself.

Approaching the former employer, preferably before leaving, would probably be the best solution, except it is possible that due to poor management of IT Policies they no longer have the "default" to deploy.

Does a hosted BES (Mailstreet?) send IT Policies to the handhelds? If so, maybe sign up for a brief period of time with one of them.

Who says they can't teach an 'old dog' new tricks!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:29 AM   #22
JCT

Model: 7100V

So pay $40 to sign up, plus first month of $9.95 to get something I don't want and don't need. All I need is to reset the damn thing to how it should be. I can't help it if my old employer is not exactly helpful in this regard.

You'll also note that my email address comes from my own domain name, and is far from anonymous.....so if anyone has any doubts as to my motives to seek a blank policy, then that should be plain for all to see.

Last edited by JCT; 07-08-2005 at 05:41 AM..
Old 05-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #23
darkman424

Model: 7290
Smile

Last edited by darkman424; 09-08-2005 at 10:31 AM..
Old 05-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #24
7100simpleisbetter

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Default Security for data not hardware

I find much of the latest set of threads humorous. If you read them there are 4-5 replies that state, don't send policy.bin to anyone, this cannot be a good thing then you reach the last reply before this and you see....can you send me the policy.bin. Pretty funny.

On another note, I would suggest we all calm down for a minute and realize what the real purpose of the security in the IT Policy is...to protect the data. That is accomplished in exceptional fashion by RIM and their force of wiping the handheld in order apply the policy.bin file that may be created. The $200 device (or free these days) is the lesser of the problem as in most cases the data is what people are usually after for corporate/political espionage. It is up to someone else if they want to shut down this thread and remove it but I haven't seen any news flashes that there has been a wide outbreak of BB thefts since this was originally posted. Also, if they try to sell these things on a black market they would have to sell them to people on the specific network (i.e. T-Mobile subscribers for 7100t) and the PIN will be on their blacklist therefore preventing a potential purchaser from activiting a handheld that was stolen. Yet another reason I will not purchase a BB or any mobile device on eBay by the way.

So lets allow the carries to protect the reuse of hardware and allow the owners of these devices to reign free and use the device in whatever manner they desire.

Just one person's opinion!!

7100sib
Old 05-13-2005, 09:03 AM   #25
pbaird
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

OK - I just cancelled myblueberry.com, and I still have apps asking to use connections, and some not able to use tcp connections due to "IT policy". So, can myblueberry.com push me a new default policy (if they even will), or do I have to join the .bin file begging and wipe and reload my berry?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #26
dege13

Model: 8820
Carrier: Rogers
Default IT Policy

To clear this all up;
An 'OTA' (Over the air) IT Policy will alway replace a wired IT Policy (itpolicy.bin).

A wired IT Policy (itpolicy.bin) won't replace an 'OTA' (Over the air) IT Policy.

These things are true for at least BlackBerry Enterprise Server 3.6 and above, BlackBerry Desktop Manager 3.6 and above, and BlackBerry handheld software 3.6 and above.

Old ones may have problems that allow exploits. Never bothered to try.

However,
BlackBerry handheld software 4.0 has a 'Security Wipe' feature.
This will allow an IT Policy to be overwitten (can't really explain how it aloows it), but the policy is still there until there is a new one applied. Never tried a wired IT Policy (itpolicy.bin) over this, but I would think at least with BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.0 that won't work (or shouldn't)... again... never tested it myself.

With BlackBerry handheld software 3.6 an OTA policy can be replaced by another OTA policy.

BlackBerry handheld software 4.0 and BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0, only the server that gave the IT Policy can replace the policy.

Any questions are welcome.
If I remember to look to some, I will try to find docs to show this stuff if anyone would like.

I know for sure that on BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0, in the 'Help' files, under 'Sending IT Policy' it shows the last item about BB HH S/W 4.0 and BES 4.0.

Bye for now,
Derek
Old 05-19-2005, 10:09 PM   #27
dege13

Model: 8820
Carrier: Rogers
Default IT Policy

I forgot an item;
If you have a policy that you cannot replace, update to handheld sofware 4.0 and Security Wipe, then try to replace with one from another BES.

If all else fails call tech support from your carrier and if they can't fix it, and/or get you to RIM and 'they' can't fix it then you should most likely (depending on warranty, ect) get a replacement handheld.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #28
7100simpleisbetter

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Default Clarity

To be clearer, the instructions provided were successful for 7100t, HH v4.x, DM v4.x, Old BES v4.x. Although I believe the policy was distributed wired not OTA so what is being said about policy.bin only replacing a wired policy may very well be true. In order to do any policy replacement the "Options", "Security", "Wipe Handheld" is required. Therefore, I would note it as an exploit but a feature for those that need to replace the policy because of a departure from their original/previous BES.

7100sib
Old 05-31-2005, 07:03 PM   #29
sambora633

Default file

can anyone send the file to me at [email address]? many thanks!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #30
nj1691

Model: 7100T
Default need a policy.bin

I am another victim of bberry security policy. Appreciate if some can mail me the policy.bin file.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #31
Pharma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: cingular

Hey not to be a jerk, but I would actually appreciate it if people would stop pming me for the policy.bin file. I have sent it to countless people and frankly I do not want to anymore. Most people are 1 posters who came here for that sole purpose. I mean if you contribute to the site then I don't have a problem with it, but not if you just want the policy removed. I hear from so many people that they left their company and want the policy removed, but let's face it, for the most part companies do not let personal blackberries on their BES so I do not believe 90% of the people.
As for people being able to have control or manage their own device, well if it has your company data on it, then guess what, that data is the companies intellectual property and not yours. Coming from a Pharma background, if sensitive data got into the wrong hands, that could cost a company dearly, including people's livelyhood. The average length of time from drug development to production is 12p-15 years at a cost of 400 million dollars. At conferences where there are countless sales reps with blackberries with all kinds of data from marketing to research, do you think there are people there that do not look to snatch a blackberry or laptop for that data. Well it happened to the company I used to work at, thank god are intrusion detection picked up the hacker (found a vpn password on a post in on someone's laptop and they tried accessing files on our network, but they didn't get anything. That could have been bad, real bad. So, I can respect one's opinion, but you have to look at the big picture. The policies are put on those blackberries for a reason. If you don't want the password, then get your own blackberry that you own and you can have all the security, or lack of that you want. That is just my .02 worth, but I can assurre you that there are a lot of people that share that opinion.

Need help? ...just ask
Old 06-03-2005, 07:32 PM   #32
fightingirish00

Model: 7520

Pharma,

I just wanted to add to your last post. I work for a very large national company and I'm on the BES server. I purchased my own BB and they added me to the server so I can access my company emails. When I got it, I did not know that after they added me that I would not be able to add new software to my own BB due to the security. I don't mind all the passwords and security they added. I would just like to add additional software to my own BB. I feel that there may be a lot of others out there with the same opinion as me. Just my two cents!!
Old 06-04-2005, 05:15 AM   #33
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharma
Hey not to be a jerk, but I would actually appreciate it if people would stop pming me for the policy.bin file. .
I just sent you a PM...

Just kidding, we appreciate what you did and I for one wanted to say thanks...

Quote:
Pharma,

I just wanted to add to your last post. I work for a very large national company and I'm on the BES server. I purchased my own BB and they added me to the server so I can access my company emails. When I got it, I did not know that after they added me that I would not be able to add new software to my own BB due to the security. I don't mind all the passwords and security they added. I would just like to add additional software to my own BB. I feel that there may be a lot of others out there with the same opinion as me. Just my two cents!!
Me also, I bought my own BB and my company added it to the BES. Fortunately, my only limitations were SMS and no aps through MDS but with the latest OS I can send that traffic vie APN just fine.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:38 AM   #34
fightingirish00

Model: 7520

I would just like to be able to add berry 411 to my BB. No luck!!
Old 06-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #35
Soapm

Looks like I can't change my themes either, can someone who was send a default policy.bin be kind and share with others?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #36
Pharma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: cingular

I understand there are people out there that have purchased their own blackberries, but I just don't want to be responsible for removing a policy that should not be removed. I can't just take everyone's word that it's their own. I think a good idea when adding your own BB to a company BES is to tell them that when you do leave you want it removed. I know it can be such a pain, but as administrators become more familiar with the limitations users are facing they can adjust the policy or create multiple policies that are less restrictive.

Irish - I feel your pain an understand.

Soapm are you still on your company BES?

I think I posted it above, that if you have contributed to this forum I will help you out, but one guy just pmed me after I posted this and he has 0 posts here asking me for the file and that is the type of person I do not wish to help out. Give a little back to this and I will give whatever I can...it's a two-way street...not giving to me but this community.

Need help? ...just ask
Old 06-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #37
grimey

*delete*

Last edited by grimey; 06-29-2005 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: keep getting spammed by a-holes trying to get a policy file for a stolen BB
Old 06-12-2005, 06:47 AM   #38
Soapm

Quote:

Soapm are you still on your company BES?

Nope, our BES was 3.6 and didn't allow me to wirelessly sync my contacts. That's really what I wanted so it is basically a PIM with BIS now...
Old 06-12-2005, 07:36 PM   #39
grimey

Just a heads up, BES 4 Trial version does not appear to have the files needed.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:43 PM   #40
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimey
Just a heads up, BES 4 Trial version does not appear to have the files needed.
Where did you look? On the Installation folder or the CD?

for Microsoft Exchange

Closed Thread