Old 11-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
kabe73

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Question to people that chose Bold over Storm

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

This question is for the people that purchased the Bold after the Storm had been released.
I want a 3G BB (for tethering) and would prefer to stay away from Verizon, however their offering for the Storm seems to be unanswered by ATT.

What were the deciding factors that made you pick the Bold, when (based on their websites) it's so much more expensive?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

1) The Bold does 3G on AT&T, Storm doesn't.

2) The Bold has both GPS and WiFi, Storm doesn't.

3) The Bold does multi-tasking (talk on the phone while surfing the web), Storm doesn't.

4) Heard a lot of complaints about the calibration of the touch screen on the Storm.

5) Everything that the Storm can do, so can the Bold. (minus the touch screen)

www.coreymckinney.com

Last edited by mckinneycm; 11-26-2008 at 11:32 AM..
Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Toan04

Model: BOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabe73 View Post
Hello,

This question is for the people that purchased the Bold after the Storm had been released.
I want a 3G BB (for tethering) and would prefer to stay away from Verizon, however their offering for the Storm seems to be unanswered by ATT.

What were the deciding factors that made you pick the Bold, when (based on their websites) it's so much more expensive?

Thanks!
I'm not a big fan of touch screen phones... for me i chose the bold because of the physical keyboard.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
DJBoozy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: ifone
PIN: no more, Imessage :(
Carrier: Orange UK Business

I've had a play with the Storm, and hate it. - for all the above reasons... - mostly the touch screen, and the way it feels.. and all the reasons highlighted, are why i bought the bold

6230-7290-8700-8800-8320-9000-9700-9800-9900-iPhone 4S 64GB Black :(
Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
kabe73

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm a believer that you'll get what you pay for, I just want to make sure the additional $200 is justified since I don't think I qualify for ATT's mail in rebate...
Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011

If you've been with AT&T for more than 6 months, but you're not eligible for an upgrade, you can do an "Exceptional Upgrade". Which means you pay the upgrade price of $399 + an early upgrade cost of $75. Then you also get the mail-in rebate of $100. So it works out to being $374 when it's all said and done. Also, you can get money for your old BB from RIM's Trade-up Program.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 11-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

See my post here....basically the bold is WAY faster and day to day tasks I have grown accustomed to on my BB for years are just a royal pain in the ass on the Storm.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1177936
Old 11-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
kabe73

Thanks Eric.
I'm in a similar situation, coming from a pearl (8120) which has served me well.
My ST typing is pretty good and I do think that the delays on the key will eventually get on my nerves...
Old 11-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
hickory59
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm View Post
If you've been with AT&T for more than 6 months, but you're not eligible for an upgrade, you can do an "Exceptional Upgrade". Which means you pay the upgrade price of $399 + an early upgrade cost of $75. Then you also get the mail-in rebate of $100. So it works out to being $374 when it's all said and done. Also, you can get money for your old BB from RIM's Trade-up Program.
Yea, this is true and it's exactly what I'm going to do on Dec. 6 when I reach that six month point.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Drewdatrip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Im surprised your familiar with this policy, We have only been offering it for 2 months or something. There was some debate as to if the bold was gonna be able to be used in the Exception upgrade option.first 2 days it was a negative, but now its been cleared
Good to see another SB / Ventura person in the BBforums

Drew
Old 11-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I have both in front of me right now. In addition I have the 8220 Flip Pearl.

Tried the Storm and really didn't like. An immediate reaction. It was laggy, and I just didn't like the touch screen design. Coulnd't get used to it - although I know that others will like it. And I felt the lag was awful.

Really liked the Bold. I have unlocked it (thanks Horizon Wireless for such superb service) and am using it on T-Mobile. Even without the 3G, I like it a lot. Since I had a less the excellent experience with the iPhone 3G, I am not going to miss 3G much. The WiFi works great (without UMA).

I am sure I am going to miss UMA, but that is only until the Javelin comes out.

Which I expect to be mid Q1, 2009, and certainly not on Friday!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #12
hickory59
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I have both in front of me right now. In addition I have the 8220 Flip Pearl.

Tried the Storm and really didn't like. An immediate reaction. It was laggy, and I just didn't like the touch screen design. Coulnd't get used to it - although I know that others will like it. And I felt the lag was awful.

Really liked the Bold. I have unlocked it (thanks Horizon Wireless for such superb service) and am using it on T-Mobile. Even without the 3G, I like it a lot. Since I had a less the excellent experience with the iPhone 3G, I am not going to miss 3G much. The WiFi works great (without UMA).

I am sure I am going to miss UMA, but that is only until the Javelin comes out.

Which I expect to be mid Q1, 2009, and certainly not on Friday!
That's a great recommendation! Can't wait to get my Bold!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
iamwiz82
Knows Where the Search Button Is

The Storm is frustratingly laggy. I was getting annoyed walking people through activating it.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #14
hickory59
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwiz82 View Post
The Storm is frustratingly laggy. I was getting annoyed walking people through activating it.

I have the same sense just from hearing what people are saying, as well as looking at it myself.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #15
benjamin7062

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Default Agree

Quote:
1) The Bold does 3G on AT&T, Storm doesn't.

2) The Bold has both GPS and WiFi, Storm doesn't.

3) The Bold does multi-tasking (talk on the phone while surfing the web), Storm doesn't.

4) Heard a lot of complaints about the calibration of the touch screen on the Storm.

5) Everything that the Storm can do, so can the Bold. (minus the touch screen)
I tend to have a higher tolerance for pain over early adopters. Thus, when the early reviews come out that lean on the side of negative I don't always agree. I went to try the Storm *after* ordering one.

In my opinion it comes down to speed. I'm willing to wager a lot of people would have a higher tolerance for some of the quirks if the phone was more responsive. For instance, their predictive text (similar to iPhone) could work okay. However, the phone stalls almost every time it kicks in making it seem rough.

I could have lived without Wifi, made the keyboard work (not as bad as I thought it would be), and even switched to Verizon. But, the phone is sadly way too underpowered. You stack that with adding a touchscreen to a phone that wasn't designed to be touched. It just doesn't work well. I'm terribly shocked and dissapointed I couldn't learn to love the phone.

On the other hand I had never considered a Bold. The same day I went to play with the Storm I went to try out the Bold. All I have to say is:

Umm, wow?

The Bold sets a new expectation from RIM in their blackberry phones. It is so incredibly responsive. EVERYTHING is nicer about this phone (in my opinion). While it has a smaller screen it generally tends to be the same size as most of the screens you end up looking at on the Storm. IE, when the keyboard is out on the Storm.. you probably get more screen on a Bold.

Features aside (3G, Wifi, Etc); the biggest win is how smooth it feels to have instant response on a blackberry. The irony about the 3G phones that people don't consider is that data is usually pouring into a blackberry faster than the phone can render the data. Meaning, shoving data at the phone faster won't make the phone *seem* faster. For the first time, Blackberry has released a phone that comes really close to rendering data as fast as it can get it. The exception being their browser is still sub-par to an iPhone. =(

I've had a Blackberry since 1999'ish back when they were pagers. I've used almost every carrier and *almost* all of their models through the years. Even the giant Nextel black-and-white push-to-talk from years ago. Then the color version. You get the point... With that history I can safely say the Bold is by far their best phone they've released. Size/Weight are the only arguments personal preference might change for some folks but I'm pretty sure if you give it a week you will be happy. It's *that* good...

DISCLAIMER: My opinion is based purely on the phone. AT&T is really good here in Austin, TX. Verizon is similar but way more dropped calls. Either way, the phone is awesome but AT&T may suck in your area. I read a lot of negativity on the east and west coast about AT&T where Sprint is the terrible provider here in Austin.

Also, this is less of a dogging on the Storm than it is a happy sentiment towards the Bold. I'd wager if folks overlooked size/weight/cheesy leather backing for a week and used the Bold they'd have a hard time going back to a Curve or Pearl as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:37 PM   #16
AkiMountain

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

^^ Great post Ben!! Thanks!!

I currently have the storm and will be returning it... Considering the bold as its replacement.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:53 PM   #17
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Couldn't agree w/ Ben more....the Bold flies....I'm glad I got it before trying out the storm b/c I may have been satisfied w/ the Storm's laggy performance. But coming from the Bold it was so noticeable that I couldn't keep the Storm.

Was concerned about the size of the Bold (coming from a Pearl) before I got it. But now I view the size as one of its best features....feels so good in your hand and is very comfortable to type on.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #18
BBCanada
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: Rogers

I was waiting for the Storm to arrive here in Canada, but David Pogue's article convinced me to cancel that plan. I ordered a Bold yesterday from Rogers.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #19
JV77
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Various

For me it was all about the QWERTY keyboard!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #20
Joshiyama
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV77 View Post
For me it was all about the QWERTY keyboard!
The Storm does have a QWERTY keyboard if you turn it Landsccape. Pearl style portrait.

I have to say, I have much less incorect password errors on the Bold compared to my 8800. And less errors in e-mails and texts. Plus spell check rocks!

The Bold keyboard should be the model on which all other non touch screen KB's are measured.
Closed Thread