boxstead

Model: 9360
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Default email on a 9360

Please Login to Remove!

hi guys,

New here and new to blackberry's, so i'll get straight to it

the main reason i'm buying a blackberry is because i need the email service, as well as this i need to recieve the emails instantly.

now i've tried speaking to the o2 staff but quite frankly they're useless, so you lot seem like the best thing. i want to go on a contract with100mb of data a month, the top one below
shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pay_monthly/init/BlackBerry/Curve%209360

i just want to know will i recieve emails like sms's and be able to reply to them for free or will this go into my 100mb of data a month?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: email on a 9360

Unless you have a blackberry Data plan your not going to be able to do any email.
As for instant,, all emails are delayed somewhat unless your on a company BES service. The BIS service polls for new emails about every 15 minutes.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Email is data and it counts against a data plan. As tsac said, for email on a BB, you must have a Blackberry data plan or bolt-on.

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
boxstead

so i'm a bit confused now guys, if i go to get the plan that i mentioned in my first post where bbm is included i presume i'll be on a blackberry data plan as the bbm will only come with it if i've got the data plan.

also tsac you mentioned that the bis service polls for new emails every 15 mins but mentioned below in the "methods of recieving email on blackberry" article it says that if you're on bis then you'll often recive the emails 5sec. after they've been sent?

BIS email address
This is the free push email address included with all BlackBerry plans. Most common method for consumers/prosumers. Send the email to the free [email address] email address. This is true push email, as email will show up instantly on the BlackBerry (in just 5 seconds in many cases) the moment someone sends it from a desktop computer. No need to check email, it shows up immediately on your BlackBerry screen, SMS-style or pager-style! To access to your @blackberry.net email account, See BWC/BIS Login Instructions
Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstead View Post
also tsac you mentioned that the bis service polls for new emails every 15 mins but mentioned below in the "methods of recieving email on blackberry" article it says that if you're on bis then you'll often recive the emails 5sec. after they've been sent?

BIS email address
This is the free push email address included with all BlackBerry plans. Most common method for consumers/prosumers. Send the email to the free [email address] email address. This is true push email, as email will show up instantly on the BlackBerry (in just 5 seconds in many cases) the moment someone sends it from a desktop computer. No need to check email, it shows up immediately on your BlackBerry screen, SMS-style or pager-style! To access to your @blackberry.net email account, See BWC/BIS Login Instructions

Thats the blackberry email and does show up quick. Most people use a email service such as Yahoo, Google etc and they are not instant.
It is always a bad idea to use the blackberry address because if you change service or drop service it goes away.
plus you want to avoid spam to save data use charges

Last edited by tsac; 03-17-2012 at 08:23 PM..
Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Being on a BBM plan will not necessarily include email. You will need to check with your cell carrier to find out what services are included. Many carriers offer a social media plan that is cheaper and has limited RIM services, and typically do not include email.

Using BIS, RIM polls your email/ISP servers every 15 minutes. If mail is found, it is pushed to your device and RIM repolls every 2 to 3 minutes and pushes mail until no mail is found. At which time RIM reverts to the 15 minute schedule. Some ISPs, such as Yahoo have special arrangements for faster delivery, but I do not know which have them now as they tend to change.

The carrier supplied email address is NOT a good address to use. There is no SPAM filter at all so you can get tons of unwanted SPAM mail if the address ever gets harvested. If and when you change carriers or cancel your BIS account, that email address is gone forever. It cannot be moved to another carrier. And finally, the only way to send and receive email to that account is on the BB. There is NO webmail address, so in the event of a data outage (and they do happen) you will not be able to send or receive and you could lose any mail in the queue.

All email goes to the messages folder. It doesn't just pop up on the screen. You have to check it. You can set up a tone or vibration to notify you when mail arrives, but it doesn't just happen on the screen like magic.

I do not understand the fascination with requiring instant, near real time email access. I run two business and have accounts on several others and have never seen the need to instant access. If someone needs you that quick, use a text message or dial the phone number.

-->>Twitter

Last edited by Dubdub; 03-17-2012 at 08:29 PM..
Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
boxstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Thats the blackberry email and does show up quick. Most people use a email service such as Yahoo, Google etc and they are not instant.
It is always a bad idea to use the blackberry address because if you change service or drop service it goes away.
plus you want to avoid spam to save data use charges
its not the spam or anything like that that's the problem tsac,

basically for work i need to get emails instantly and reply to them within about a minute in order to get shifts. so with the information that you've kindly given me i can just use that blackberry email address for getting work (the emails are simple words and have no attachments and only come once a week so i presume they wouldn't take up much of my monthly data) and i can have the ability to get the emails on all the time and not go over my 100mb data limit each month?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
boxstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Being on a BBM plan will not necessarily include email. You will need to check with your cell carrier to find out what services are included. Many carriers offer a social media plan that is cheaper and has limited RIM services, and typically do not include email.

Using BIS, RIM polls your email/ISP servers every 15 minutes. If mail is found, it is pushed to your device and RIM repolls every 2 to 3 minutes and pushes mail until no mail is found. At which time RIM reverts to the 15 minute schedule. Some ISPs, such as Yahoo have special arrangements for faster delivery, but I do not know which have them now as they tend to change.

The carrier supplied email address is NOT a good address to use. There is no SPAM filter at all so you can get tons of unwanted SPAM mail if the address ever gets harvested. If and when you change carriers or cancel your BIS account, that email address is gone forever. It cannot be moved to another carrier. And finally, the only way to send and receive email to that account is on the BB. There is NO webmail address, so in the event of a data outage (and they do happen) you will not be able to send or receive and you could lose any mail in the queue.

All email goes to the messages folder. It doesn't just pop up on the screen. You have to check it. You can set up a tone or vibration to notify you when mail arrives, but it doesn't just happen on the screen like magic.

I do not understand the fascination with requiring instant, near real time email access. I run two business and have accounts on several others and have never seen the need to instant access. If someone needs you that quick, use a text message or dial the phone number.
ok thanks for the information above hopefully my above post will answer your last question, if not - it's more out of necessity that i need this instant email as the business i work for gives out a small number of shifts to a large number of people and there is a lot of competition for them, colleagues have missed out on shifts because they replied in 2 minutes and others replied quicker than that, as for the text or dial the phone, sending out a group text would end up costing a fair bit for them and like you've probably worked out dialing a number just wouldn't work
Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

But remember, when there is a BB data outage, you will have nothing at all.

-->>Twitter

Closed Thread