BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
MICP1480
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default What Is So Great About Blackberry's?

Please Login to Remove!

I have the Blackberry Curve 8330 from Verizon. I have had this for almost a year, and I have to say this about it,"What Is All The Hype About Blackberry's"?

1) The media card is for only ring tones and pictures, forget about having all the third party programs that you wish to have.
2) This lighting of the screen and keyboard was something that was probably designed over liquid lunch. I wish to have control over this. My keyboard doesn't light up unless it's completely dark. I can't see that keyboard in poor lighting.
3) I wish I would get reimbursed for every time I had to pull the battery out because my Blackberry decided to go into a coma.
4)I wish there was a better calender that had more detail and options rather than hash marks, or whatever you call them, they don't work well in the business world.
5) I have tried every trick known to man and still the internet is slower than a turtle crossing a street.

Well, other than what I said, at least the camera works well. Just letting out some frustration. I don't believe I will be getting an another blackberry any time soon, unless for some miracle they develop a phone that allows you to take control of your phone by giving you options suited for you.

Regards,

MICP1480

Last edited by MICP1480; 03-17-2009 at 11:26 PM..
Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
jpulliam1011

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default I Feel Your Pain

I have similar complaints. I just got a Bold 9000. See the thread "Why use a Blackberry.

Last edited by jpulliam1011; 03-17-2009 at 11:33 PM..
Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
The_conductor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: 313D86F5
Carrier: Sprint

I like blackberry my only beef is with the trackball getting clogged with dirt why hasn't this been fixed yet
Old 03-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
vikas_bb

Model: 8900
Carrier: Etisalat

Eactly... im using BB... coz i got this in gift and had to give my nokia e71 to my girl friend..

The day i had my hands on bb, i never had a good sleep... i dont know why there is too much hype about bb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_conductor View Post
I like blackberry my only beef is with the trackball getting clogged with dirt why hasn't this been fixed yet
Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (3G= Chuck Norris Speed)

How are you guys using the devices? Been using a BB for years and haven't the same complaints. Do you manage your memory? Do you properly close apps so that they are not running in the background?

There are reasons the memory card is only able to be used for certain things Security being the most important!

Perhaps BB is not for you
Old 03-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

BlackBerries may not be for everybody..

I think it is a great communication tool, it's very reliable and secure..

I pretty do everything on my BB nowadays.. Especially after my laptop crashed once..

RSS feeds, IM, Email, SMS, Studing, Documents.. You know name it..

It's not what makes the BlackBerry great, but what your needs are and how to suite your needs.

My Web Browser is fairly quick, the speed can depend on your Browser settings and your coverage.

The calendar could be beefed up, Can't say I do too many battery pull..

The newer BB devices have more then enough memory for whatever apps you want, plus they have a 3rd party app to load applications on your media (isn't that something a 3rd party for 3rd party apps lol)

If you want to go more indepth on why your BB goes into a "coma" does it happen randomly and what do you mean exactly by that?

Also what OS are you running on your device?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_conductor View Post
Do you keep your phone in your pocket?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICP1480 View Post
I have the Blackberry Curve 8330 from Verizon. I have had this for almost a year, and I have to say this about it,"What Is All The Hype About Blackberry's"?

1) The media card is for only ring tones and pictures, forget about having all the third party programs that you wish to have.
2) This lighting of the screen and keyboard was something that was probably designed over liquid lunch. I wish to have control over this. My keyboard doesn't light up unless it's completely dark. I can't see that keyboard in poor lighting.
3) I wish I would get reimbursed for every time I had to pull the battery out because my Blackberry decided to go into a coma.
4)I wish there was a better calender that had more detail and options rather than hash marks, or whatever you call them, they don't work well in the business world.
5) I have tried every trick known to man and still the internet is slower than a turtle crossing a street.

Well, other than what I said, at least the camera works well. Just letting out some frustration. I don't believe I will be getting an another blackberry any time soon, unless for some miracle they develop a phone that allows you to take control of your phone by giving you options suited for you.

Regards,

MICP1480
alot of those can be eaisly fixed with some setttings...
3rd party stiff will never go on the mem card unless the app itself is made for that due to security reasons...

and about the internet... if the browser works, the issues are entirely with the carrier... it has nothing to do with the deviceif you are loading mobile pages... if you want full pages, check out opera mini or bolt as alternate browsers.... i have all 3 browsers on my bold, and it like a computer in my hand
Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
BlackBerries may not be for everybody..
This really applies to everything in life. There are very few one-size-fits-all things in this world.

Quote:
Have you looked into addressing your issues? As for hype, it shouldn't even be a concern. Any time you're shopping for anything you need to consider your needs/wants and weigh the pros/cons of the options you're looking into. If you buy based on hype then prepare to be disappointed every time.

Quote:
Can't say I understand this myself but that's why it's a media card. IIRC there are 3rd party apps that can help you with storing stuff on the media card. I'm not sure if any of them allow you to run apps off the media card. However, BB apps are pretty small and you should have plenty of device memory for apps. I certainly have a ton of apps loaded.

Quote:
I'm not certain on this one but a 3rd party app may help.

Quote:
If you can provide more details we can probably help you. This isn't the norm. I rarely pull my battery.

Quote:
It doesn't work well for you. I use the calendar "in the business world" and it meets my needs just fine. However, there are a good number of people that aren't happy with the BB's calendar. Have you looked into alternatives?

I know you won't be happy with the "3rd party app" responses but consider that at least you can extend the BB's functionality with 3rd party apps.

Still, the BB might not be the right choice for you. If you're not willing to address your concerns you might be better off looking into the alternatives. I would highly recommend creating a list of must-haves and carefully assessing potential alternatives on these items. Also keep in mind the nice-to-have items. Don't shop on hype.

Last edited by takeshi; 03-18-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
jpulliam1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Wirelessly posted (3G= Chuck Norris Speed)

How are you guys using the devices? Been using a BB for years and haven't the same complaints. Do you manage your memory? Do you properly close apps so that they are not running in the background?

There are reasons the memory card is only able to be used for certain things Security being the most important!

Perhaps BB is not for you
Making tweaks because you want to play with it is one thing, Ilove that. Mandatory things like memory cleaning sould not be required by the user. They closing apps thing is something no one but long time BB users understand. When I hit the red end button the app should be closed. If you want to do something different to have it minimize in the background then how about a MINIMIZE button.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Alt+Back is the Application Switcher which with let you switch between running application, you assign it to one of the convienence keys if you will be doing that enough.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
darkdragoon
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2562425C
Carrier: SmarTone-Vodafone

Quote:

Regards,

MICP1480

Been using BB since the black and white screen era. So why do I use BB? Because it makes me look cool.... Just kidding... It's the only device that I know I will be getting my emails on time, every time... Enuff said.

Last edited by darkdragoon; 03-18-2009 at 08:52 PM..
Old 03-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
rayleoni

Model: pearl
Carrier: AT&T

I used to have a pearl and now have an iphone. I am going back to the bb world, because it is convenient, quick, and reliable.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #14
The_conductor
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 313D86F5
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRPriester View Post
Do you keep your phone in your pocket?
My old pearl i did but my new curve is kept in a holder but still you shouldn't have to wrap these things up like a child
Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I've never had problems with my trackball clogging up (and I do pocket my 8310). If you keep it in a dirty environment then why would you expect it to remain clean?

I mean, why haven't automakers fixed the problem of my car getting dirty? I really shouldn't have to wash it all the time...
Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
areynoso86

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmobile
Default X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayleoni View Post
I used to have a pearl and now have an iphone. I am going back to the bb world, because it is convenient, quick, and reliable.
SAME HERE X2
Old 03-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
bigbda1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Sounds like it's time for you to get a Bold!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #18
jpulliam1011

Wirelessly posted

Not clear on what you mean "get a bold".
Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #19
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

The best thing about Blackberries, is that Blackberry users know the difference between a contraction, a possessive, and how to spell a plural word (see the title of this post).

I guess you just have to be sophisticated enough to know spelling and grammar to appreciate what's so good about Blackberries?
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 03-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #20
alb123
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: ********
Carrier: Verizon

My BlackBerry Curve 8330 is my first and only smartphone so I can't really compare to other devices out there. I agree that the Calendar application is a little lacking, I have a few complaints about it, but I never personally thought I would find every facet of the phone perfect for my needs. I know its certainly true of the PC world, so I am not surprised the smartphone world to be similar. I disagree with the OPs comment about "pressing the red button" to close out programs. Just because someone WANTS it to work that way doesn't mean its a bad thing that it DOESN'T work that way. Battery pullls are unfortunately a fact of BlackBerry life. They don't have to be done as often as one may infer from the several posts on this site. They just happen to be the quickest solution to MANY problems and it is often the best advice to give newbies. It's really akin to rebooting your PC and I don't see how that makes a device less-worthwhile to own.

Chris

join #blackberry on EFNet today!
Closed Thread