BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
mikeymobiles

Default 7250 and jabra bt-800 question!!

Please Login to Remove!

Will it work?

If it does work...does caller id show up?

What are the downsides?

how clear,?

pro's,? con's??

Thanks!!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
rdalemercer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

There is another thread with a similar topic - but I'll try to summarize what I know.
1. It's not released yet (03/04/05?) so "actually experienced" clarity is an unknown.
2. Caller ID (number) will work.
3. Caller ID (name in your phone book) will NOT work.
4. Voice dialing in not supported by BB so....it will not work.

Cons: Cost, no voice dialing, no OBEX (BB issue) so no Caller ID names.
Pro's : Knowing the number that is calling you before you answer (or have to pull your BB out of the holster to see who is calling you)...priceless.

People have commented that the called ID is a moot point if it is on your ear. True, however, I (personally) do not wear by headset all of the time lest I look like I'm attending a Star Trek convention...so I'd rather look at the headset for the number rather than to have to pull the BB out of the holster...then hit the answer (or ignore...if in a meeting) and clip it over the ear.

My .02
Old 02-26-2005, 05:44 AM   #3
SedahDrol

Well, my BT800 will be arriving on Monday, managed to get it for only $109 + shipping.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
rdalemercer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Where?

Where are you getting it from?

Are the shipping, delivering or are you picking it up on Monday?

Will be interested in hearing your thoughts after you get it.

Which BB are you pairing it with?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #5
SedahDrol

it's being shipped to me. Oddly enough getting it from PC Mall, but their price has gone up since I ordered it a few weeks ago. Which seems to be the reoccuring theme with the BT800, the demand for it seems to be increasing the price throughout the market place. It will be interesting to see what the final price settles to once the units are actually available.

I'll be pairing it with my BB7520, I'll be sure to let you all know what it's like.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:16 PM   #6
PingGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedahDrol
it's being shipped to me. Oddly enough getting it from PC Mall, but their price has gone up since I ordered it a few weeks ago. Which seems to be the reoccuring theme with the BT800, the demand for it seems to be increasing the price throughout the market place. It will be interesting to see what the final price settles to once the units are actually available.

I'll be pairing it with my BB7520, I'll be sure to let you all know what it's like.
I'm thinking of getting the same combo, please be sure to post how it works as soon as you can.

Previous: Nextel BB7520 w/ Plantronics Discovery 640
Old 03-01-2005, 01:25 AM   #7
SedahDrol

Well....
The caller id works as expected just the phone number.
Last number redial works too well. just hold the answer button for about a second.

Pairing was really easy. You can do it with a stylus pin or do through the menu. The latter is the one I tried.

I wear glasses and it seems to fit well.

There is echo.

Unfortunately it seems as if I can't answer most calls from the headset. I'm not sure why it won't answer, there's got to be some error communicating between the phone and the headset. I've tried extending my blackberries antenna with a little bit of improvement. There is an audible tone when the call is answered though. This pretty much defeats the purpose of a hands free. I even tried re-pairing it with no success. The only solutions seems to be
1) increasing the number of rings before it goes to voicemail which means, in the case of the 7520 with nextel, turning off forwarding to voicemail for unanswered calls, this will mean you will either have to answer calls or not get voicemail for the unanswered call.

2)manually answering calls on the 7520. If you are going to answer it manually, you don't really need a caller-id display, which is one of the nicer features.

It seems that the BB7520 is not ideal for the bt800. I doubt I will return by bt800 due to the incredibly cheap price I got mine. But at this time I wouldn't recommend it to any 7520 owners, without further research into this issue. I will probably try and contact jabra tech support and see what they would suggest.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #8
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

A recent review I read also complined that the volume was low despite their ad that it automatically adjust volume for background noise. What did you find?

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 03-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #9
SedahDrol

I find volume just fine, if anything its slightly higher than I like by default, I haven't had a chance to test it in a highly noisy environment. Of course I would rather find the volume to be too low for the environment than to high, and blow my eardrums.

Ammendnum on answer issue:
I've done some reading and have found that nextel will raise your number of rings if asked to six from what I understand. I'll find out later on today later on today for sure. Which should allow your headset to pick up over 90% of the time. It seems to like picking up on the 4th or 5th ring.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
monstermike

I got mine Friday and have had all weekend to play with it so here's my 2 cents...

Pros
-Nice directed speaker. Volume level was perfect for me
-Caller ID is nice but obviously no name info comes across just the number. You can call these people back through the headset once you've got their number on it but you can't manually add numbers.
-I didn't have any issues answering it other than there's really just too many buttons on it compared to the Moto 810 and 820.

Cons
-Overally complicated for normal Joe User.
-HEAVY. Probably better suited for a bigger person with big strong ears (something seems odd about that comment...)

Overall, I like it but it's just too heavy and uncomfortable for me to wear for more than 10 minutes. I'll probably be getting the Moto 810 or 820 although they may prove to have their own weaknesses as well however they are very small and lightweight.

Have Fun
Old 03-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
SedahDrol

monstermike, what phone are you using with it?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
PingGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

Gah this is very depressing, I was really hoping the BT800 would be everything the BT250 is now but in a configuration more like the Motorola HS series.

I'll wait to hear more but it's looking like I need to start comparing the BT250 and HS8xx's again to look for what I will get.

Previous: Nextel BB7520 w/ Plantronics Discovery 640
Old 03-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #13
j_hizzo

Model: 8839
Carrier: Bell Mobility

has anyone used the motorola hs850 with the 7250 yet?
Old 03-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #14
monstermike

I'm using the 7250...

Started using the Moto 810 today and I'll have to say so far I like it better than the 800 by far.

Pros
Lightweight
Little thing that basically hugs your ear that helps keep the sound in around your ear opening. Hard to describe but it's better than the 820 IMHO.

Cons
You flip it open to turn it on and you have to confirm the bluetooth connection. I don't like carry it around open and would rather flip it open to answer a call.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:37 PM   #15
barjohn

If you go to your bluetooth setting and select options and set it as a trusted device you won't have to confirm and can just use the boom to answer. I do and it works great.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 03-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #16
monstermike

THANKS! I just changed that setting and I'm happy to report the 810 is now my favoriate!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:36 AM   #17
Doc Rock

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Can't answer from the headset

I thought I would check here and see if anyone else was having difficulty answering from the headset and it seems that I'm not the only one. Jabra support didn't have an answer for me and suggested I return it. I am using a 7100t.

So far, I find that most everything works except being able to answer from the headset. I can dial from it (using the callerid), I can dial from phone and it switches to the headset, etc. But I cannot answer from the headset. I sure hope to hear an answer soon. This is my 3rd bluetooth headset, I've been using them since they came out and was hoping to do a little upgrading to the caller-id thing.

Oh, one other thing that happens, about 30% of the time when people call and I answer them, we connect for about 1/2 second and then I hear nothing and they get a high-pitched squeal (like feedback) that continues until I switch from headset to handset. I can then swtich back and it works just fine. Interestingly enough, it happens or doesn't happen consistently with the same numbers. Anyone who has this problem, has this problem ALL the time, anyone who does not...never does.

Overall, I need this to work or I'll have to move on to another headset shortly.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:34 AM   #18
barjohn

The new software for the 7100g should fix some of those problems as I noted in another post the 4.0.0.274 software was the latest tested and certified by the Bluetooth Organization. So maybe it will fix your problems.

See this post:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4222

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 03-02-2005, 02:53 AM   #19
cherubic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_hizzo
has anyone used the motorola hs850 with the 7250 yet?
been using mine for about a week now, the size and design is nice, very light and can comfortably be worn on your ear for a good amount of time.

performance wise, i've had people say that its hard for them to hear me, it depends on how your boom is angled from your ear. sometimes you get an echo sometimes you don't its not very consistant performance.

the way i have mine configured i just leave my bb in my pocket on vibrate and when i get a call, i just answer it by opening the boom and you are ready to talk.

its not perfect, but from what disappointing things we've been hearing about the bt800 it might be the better way to go.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:36 AM   #20
SedahDrol

Doc Rock,
I've been noticing the same connection problem where it connects, yet I there's no sound, I switch to hanset then back to the headset and it works fine. I wonder if anyone is having the same issues with other phones besides RIM. It is getting annoying. I have found that the distance between the handset and headset do make a difference, for instance if the headset is in the holster around on my waistband, the connection issue doesn't seem to occur (this could be pure coincidence).

At least now I know it's not just the 7520 that's having the problem...now we need to find out if it's happening with other bluetooth phones, if thats the case then the problem more likely lies within the headsets software. If not, then it's an RIM bluetooth implementation issue.
Closed Thread