John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiegirl
I have a gmail and a yahoo account fwding email to my BB. On the yahoo account, if I get spam I can mark it as such and block that address. How can I do that from the BB? If I can delete a msg off the BB and my POP mailbox at the same time, why can't I also mark it as spam and block the sender?

Thanks!
You can't do that directly from the BB. You have to do that on your web mailbox from your pc.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #62
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
I have a gmail and a yahoo account fwding email to my BB. On the yahoo account, if I get spam I can mark it as such and block that address. How can I do that from the BB? If I can delete a msg off the BB and my POP mailbox at the same time, why can't I also mark it as spam and block the sender?

Thanks!
Now that *would* be a nice feature to have
Old 11-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #63
rudiegirl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

thanks, that's what I figured. It shouldn't be too hard a feature to add, tho. I mean if the BB can tell the POP inbox to delete something, it should be able to tell it to put the from address on a block list too. Maybe this whole email spam thing will spur them to add that feature? *crosses fingers*

I get an insane amount of spam to all of my five email addys. I also get a lot of newsletters, which are often caught by spam filters mistakenly, so I can't have too many fancy filters running or else I'll lose my newsletters. But I've found a lot of success with IP blocking - at the very least it feels like you're doing something to stop the spam besides just deleting it.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:59 PM   #64
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
thanks, that's what I figured. It shouldn't be too hard a feature to add, tho. I mean if the BB can tell the POP inbox to delete something, it should be able to tell it to put the from address on a block list too. Maybe this whole email spam thing will spur them to add that feature? *crosses fingers*

I get an insane amount of spam to all of my five email addys. I also get a lot of newsletters, which are often caught by spam filters mistakenly, so I can't have too many fancy filters running or else I'll lose my newsletters. But I've found a lot of success with IP blocking - at the very least it feels like you're doing something to stop the spam besides just deleting it.
I *think* the general problem is that servers like yahoo, gmail, and hotmail do NOT allow remote access to the server / filters. Plus, each mail server deals with spam differently.. The BB would have little to no way of knowing what your specific email server wants and that's even assuming that the BB would even be granted the access to do such...
Old 11-21-2006, 07:56 PM   #65
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

So, I set up a "From" filter for my sister in law's e-mail as she is the ONLY person with my blackberry.net addy. I did that today after receiving another spate of spam. Most of it came to the address I set up when I got my BB, but they all had CCs with addys that had a username close to mine, on cingy and T Mo. So strange.
I will report back after a couple days to let y'all know how effective this was. Phew.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #66
dsconnell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Iphon
Carrier: ATT

Another victim of spam. I talked to RIM yesterday and they said that besides filtering using the "to" field [email address] that you should also do the same for the "cc" field. I've done this and didn't get any spam today. It was amazing that the "to" field in these spam emails wasn't even close to my tmo address, but yet I was still getting spammed. He suggested the "cc" thing and, so far, it's working. Basically, if the "to" field or "cc" field
don't contain my exact [email address] address, then DON'T forward to handheld. HTH
Old 11-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #67
fzfrank
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzfrank
I'm on TMO and I just use my TMO address for forwarding. I just deleted the address, added a new one and updated my 2 e-mail accounts. It took about 2 minutes and I assume that will do the trick.

I assume senders to the old TMO address will get an "undeliverable" message, but I just tested that theory and I haven't received such a message in over 5 minutes.
Update: This morning I sent an e-mail to my old TMO address and immediately I received a "delivery status notification (failure)" message.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:30 PM   #68
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch

Been 24 hours or so since I made the filter change in my BIS settings. So far, so good. Cross those fingers, I suppose.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #69
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

Hey all...just in case you weren't aware there's a RIM article out about this issue:

Livelink - Redirection

Also, the reason that your getting email that looks like it was sent to someone else is not because RIM was hacked. It's a common thing spammers due to get past spam detectors.

They will put what could be a valid address in the to field and then and hundreds of random addrsess to the BCC field in hopes they actually hit a valid account.

This is why the first part of the address in the to field is the same as your [email address] account.

Setting up filters to only allow email that has this address in the to/cc field (or any address your forwarding to this account) will mean you don't get the spam messages.

Hope this helps
Old 11-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #70
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof
Just a caution. You can't delete your BB email account if (a) you are on an early version of BIS (less than 2.0) or (b) you have other email accounts forwarding to that address (in which case you'd have to recreate another and fix all your forwarding).
A) Correct. Of course, there is always a question why you are on early version of BIS? Upgrade and get new features.

B) If you use forwarding create blackberry direct email address which is hard to guess and give it to no one. Spammers have hard time to guess address like this:

[email address]

but they can get you really fast if you are using, even just for forwarding, address like this:

[email address]
Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 AM   #71
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERDucky
Hey all...just in case you weren't aware there's a RIM article out about this issue:

Livelink - Redirection

Also, the reason that your getting email that looks like it was sent to someone else is not because RIM was hacked. It's a common thing spammers due to get past spam detectors.

They will put what could be a valid address in the to field and then and hundreds of random addrsess to the BCC field in hopes they actually hit a valid account.

This is why the first part of the address in the to field is the same as your [email address] account.

Setting up filters to only allow email that has this address in the to/cc field (or any address your forwarding to this account) will mean you don't get the spam messages.

Hope this helps
BIS 2.0 allows to edit the filter for "To" and "CC" but does not have an option for "BCC". Will it still work if the Spammers BCC you?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:39 AM   #72
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernox
BIS 2.0 allows to edit the filter for "To" and "CC" but does not have an option for "BCC". Will it still work if the Spammers BCC you?
Yes, because you are going to set the filter to say If "your email address" is in the "to" field "forward messages to handheld." Then tell it for all other messages "do not forward to handheld."

Here's how to do it. This is from the RIM article.

"BlackBerry Internet Service 2.0 and later

Step 1 - Create a filter to prevent messages containing specific information

Click the Filters icon beside the hosted address <USER>@<SITE>.blackberry.net.
Under the When no filters apply:, select the Do not forward messages to handheld option.
If filters already exist for this account, click the Add Filter link.
If the screen displays "No filters configured. click here to add one", click the Click Here link.
Add the following filter and click Add Filter:
Filter Name - something you can easily recognize
Apply filter when - select "To" field * from the drop-down menu
Contains - enter your BlackBerry email address
Select the Forward messages to handheld option
Note: It is not recommended to use the Header only option.

Configure another filter with the following settings:
Filter Name - something you can easily recognize
Apply filter when - select "CC" field * from the drop-down menu
Contains - enter your BlackBerry email address
Select the Forward messages to handheld option"

Last edited by John Clark; 11-26-2006 at 05:43 AM..
Old 11-26-2006, 07:54 PM   #73
Lex Luthor

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

I've applied filters where the "To" and "CC" field contain my email address then forward to the handheld and I still get spam. VERY ANNOYING!!! Any word on RIM having a solution for the spam at all?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #74
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitty
I've applied filters where the "To" and "CC" field contain my email address then forward to the handheld and I still get spam. VERY ANNOYING!!! Any word on RIM having a solution for the spam at all?
Did you tell it that if no filters apply, "do not forward messages to handheld"?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #75
Berry One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitty

Yes: they recommend filters or deleting blackberry email address.

Also, you may be getting spam not sent to blackberry directly, but polled from your other email accounts. RIM will not be fixing that, it is between you and your ISP.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #76
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

If you don't use the @blackberry.net addy (I don't actually know anyone who does) just remove and away the problems go
Old 11-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #77
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One
Yes: they recommend filters or deleting blackberry email address.

Also, you may be getting spam not sent to blackberry directly, but polled from your other email accounts. RIM will not be fixing that, it is between you and your ISP.

I am only running 1 email address on my BlackBerry right now and that is my @rogers.blackberry.net account. I deleted the other accounts just to see if my spam would stop (since I wasn't sure where it was coming from) so all weekend the only mail coming to my handheld was my BIS address. Even with a filter in place I was receiving spam.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #78
Berry One

Delete your @rogers.blackberry.net email address and check if you are still getting spam.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #79
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

People have to understand that spam is NOT limited to the BB... I get a ton of spam on my city email as well... Yes the @bb have been getting it as late BUT this is a constant problem with almost any email addy you have.. Some filters are better than others.....
Old 11-27-2006, 01:29 AM   #80
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One
Delete your @rogers.blackberry.net email address and check if you are still getting spam.
Before I did the weekend test where I removed all accounts except my rogers.blackberry.net accounts I had actually had all the emails sent to my BIS address not delivered to the handheld for a few days and I received no spam during those days.

Then I set up 2 filters for my rogers.blackberry.net address and removed the other acccounts and almost immediately I started to receive spam. It's funny when I only have email from my rogers.blackberry.net email coming to the handheld and yet I get spam messages and in the to field it's not even my name or address. I see some Cingular or T-Mobile BIS address.

I HATE SPAMMERS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
People have to understand that spam is NOT limited to the BB... I get a ton of spam on my city email as well... Yes the @bb have been getting it as late BUT this is a constant problem with almost any email addy you have.. Some filters are better than others.....
I am glad that the 4 other accounts I have have been well protected by spam filters but as you posted some filters are better than none.
Closed Thread