BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
murena22

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone
Default MMS option missing

Please Login to Remove!

Apologies if I've missed a thread somewhere, but I couldn't find anyone else with this problem when I searched.

My wife and I have had our Pearls about a week now and are gradually working through the options getting to know things. The other day she sent me a MMS, which I didn't receive. About a day later I got a text to say I could view it on the Vodafone website.

The strange thing is that I've got no reference to MMS in my menus. My wife's shows it in Options, but no sign of it on mine. Nowhere can I find anything which would allow me to create a MMS.

I've probably fiddled about with things a bit more than she has, but I've racked my brains and can't think of anything I've done which would have got rid of the MMS ability. I do seem to recall seeing it on a menu early on, but that could be my mind playing tricks.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or have a clue how to resolve it?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:30 AM   #2
GMK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMO

From the address book highlight an entry, press menu it should be there as an option. It is on mine TMO USA.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
murena22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMK
From the address book highlight an entry, press menu it should be there as an option. It is on mine TMO USA.
It should.....but it doesn't. That's my point. The menu shows email, call, SMS and send to Messenger, but no sign of MMS, yet it's there on my wife's. They were delivered on same day and we're on the same network so I doubt it's a different OS (although I will check).

I'm guessing I've selected an option somewhere without realising the implications, but I can't figure out what it is.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Mandizzle
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9800
PIN: 2322E11D
Carrier: Rogers

I never even bothered to look before but now that I have I can't seem to find any signs of MMS either.

I guess i'm missing some options too...
Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by murena22
Apologies if I've missed a thread somewhere, but I couldn't find anyone else with this problem when I searched.

My wife and I have had our Pearls about a week now and are gradually working through the options getting to know things. The other day she sent me a MMS, which I didn't receive. About a day later I got a text to say I could view it on the Vodafone website.

The strange thing is that I've got no reference to MMS in my menus. My wife's shows it in Options, but no sign of it on mine. Nowhere can I find anything which would allow me to create a MMS.

I've probably fiddled about with things a bit more than she has, but I've racked my brains and can't think of anything I've done which would have got rid of the MMS ability. I do seem to recall seeing it on a menu early on, but that could be my mind playing tricks.

Since your spouse doesn't have the same issue and is in the same area as you are on the same carrier it doesn't appear to be a network issue. It could either be due to software corruption or a hardware defect which includes the SIM card.

Step 1: Turn off your device then take the battery out and put it back in. Now turn it back on then go into the same menu to see if you see a MMS option. Doing this is similar to a reset on a Treo though there's no actual pin reset button for the Pearl. Taking the battery out and putting it back in actually reboots the device which does a system check on boot.

Step 2: Call your wireless carrier data customer support from an alternate line, not from your device. Ask them to run a signal test to your device to see how it's communicating with their network and the nearest tower. Make sure your Blackberry is on prior to requesting the test. They may do what's sometimes called a "resend to switch" to update your blackberry. If so make sure to powercycle (turn off then back on) your device to receive the latest update. It's important to not frustrate your customer support representitive by trying to tell them how to troubleshoot the device. After all you can't see what they are seeing on their monitor during the test and they won't go through a half hour explaining every little detail. Trust in them to give you the right information and remember they're online helping you to resolve your issue as quickly as possible.

Step 3: Your carrier data customer support may direct you to a local repair center or have you swap the device while still under warrenty. If the latter Rogers typically has a 12 to 72 hour turn around for swaps through RIM. T-Mobile/Cingular in the USA should have something similar. If you are requested to bring the device to a local repair center make sure you bring your "proof of activation" (aka: receipt for the device when purchased) as it's a misconception by some customers that the carrier owns every authorized dealer location just because they have the name "Rogers, T-Mobile, etc" on their store window. The authorized dealer/repair center has the requirement from RIM, just as with other manufacturers to prove the customer purchased the device through your carrier authorized dealers, not from a third party such as eBay, etc.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

Make sure that you have a data plan....

It sounds like your wife's phone is setup with a BB data plan and your phone isn't.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 11-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
GMK

Go into options
There is a specific entry for MMS. Check it for multimedia reception to be on always. There are other settings in there you may want to toy with.

mckinneycm, I may be wrong but I didn't think that MMS needed a data plan. Isn't this billed the same as an SMS?
Old 11-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMK
Go into options
There is a specific entry for MMS. Check it for multimedia reception to be on always. There are other settings in there you may want to toy with.

mckinneycm, I may be wrong but I didn't think that MMS needed a data plan. Isn't this billed the same as an SMS?
Your right, however, the phone still has to be provisioned to allow it. This has to be done by the carrier.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 11-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:

I was just reading the manual. Do you have a lower case 'gprs' or 'edge', or do you have a upper case 'GPRS' or 'EDGE'? The manual says that if it is lower case you can only make and receive calls and SMS text messages. It has to be upper case in order to have MMS access.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 11-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #10
wiseprick
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: rogers

i also heve the same problem with my peral ...i dont have a data plan ...cant send pictures...
Old 11-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseprick
i also heve the same problem with my peral ...i dont have a data plan ...cant send pictures...
Do you have a lower case 'edge' or 'gprs' in the upper right corner?? If so, then no you won't be able to send or receive MMS messages.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 11-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #12
murena22

Thanks for all the advice guys. So far I've only had time to try out removing the battery, which made no difference. And the top corner is showing upper case GSM, so not sure what that means.

Been out to a film this evening and I'm off to bed now, so I'll have a look at the other suggestions tomorrow night.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #13
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys. So far I've only had time to try out removing the battery, which made no difference. And the top corner is showing upper case GSM, so not sure what that means.

Been out to a film this evening and I'm off to bed now, so I'll have a look at the other suggestions tomorrow night.
Sorry, I forgot to mention GSM. GSM means that you can only send and receive calls and SMS messages. You cannot send and receive MMS messages.

You need to get with your provider and have them figure out your provisioning. There is nothing wrong with your phone.

I'm just speculating, but I bet your wife's phone has something different in the upper right corner.

See attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Indicators.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	5928  

www.coreymckinney.com

Last edited by mckinneycm; 11-14-2006 at 06:27 PM..
Old 11-15-2006, 12:06 AM   #14
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Maybe you can't send MMS because your service provider requires you to have a BlackBerry data plan to send & receive mms. I know with my service provider you can only do mms on a BlackBerry if you have a BlackBerry data plan.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:20 AM   #15
GMK

Is a BB different than any other cell phone? I was, perhaps mistaken, that any cell phone capable, hardware wise, of sending or receiving a MMS could do so, whether or not they had anything more than a voice plan. My child bride and I both are with TMO, she has a Razr, I have a BB 8100. I have a data plan, she doesn't. I just MMS'd her a pic. She got it - no prob. So I must conclude that BB's are different in how they are handled by the carrier, if Nitty and mckinneycm are on target that a data plan is required.

I don't subscribe to txting so both the bride and I pay per message when we use it.

If the data plan requirement is true, BB users are getting shafted. There is no reason that they should have to pay $20.00 or more a month for a data plan to get MMS privileges that are available on any hardware capable phone.

I did notice that there is a "MMS Config (WAP)" service book in my phone. Does the WAP mean that MMS messages are sent via data line on BBs? I wonder if there is a service book for non data plan users without the "(WAP)"? Can you receive service books without a data plan? I dunno.

Have you confirmed this directly with your carrier, Nitty.

I have MMS so I guess I'm covered but I don't like the unique requirements that are coming up in this thread, on principle if nothing else.

This ain't right.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #16
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMK
Is a BB different than any other cell phone? I was, perhaps mistaken, that any cell phone capable, hardware wise, of sending or receiving a MMS could do so, whether or not they had anything more than a voice plan. My child bride and I both are with TMO, she has a Razr, I have a BB 8100. I have a data plan, she doesn't. I just MMS'd her a pic. She got it - no prob. So I must conclude that BB's are different in how they are handled by the carrier, if Nitty and mckinneycm are on target that a data plan is required.

I don't subscribe to txting so both the bride and I pay per message when we use it.

If the data plan requirement is true, BB users are getting shafted. There is no reason that they should have to pay $20.00 or more a month for a data plan to get MMS privileges that are available on any hardware capable phone.

I did notice that there is a "MMS Config (WAP)" service book in my phone. Does the WAP mean that MMS messages are sent via data line on BBs? I wonder if there is a service book for non data plan users without the "(WAP)"? Can you receive service books without a data plan? I dunno.

Have you confirmed this directly with your carrier, Nitty.

I have MMS so I guess I'm covered but I don't like the unique requirements that are coming up in this thread, on principle if nothing else.

This ain't right.
I agree with you in the fact that it should work. However, yes BB's are different when it comes to MMS. They use the EDGE/GPRS network to send MMS messages. So, the answer is yes, you must be provisioned for data on a BB in order to use MMS.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 11-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #17
GMK

I MMS'd this am. I checked my bill online and TMO hasn't billed me the $.25. Perhaps it takes awhile to get into the system, but it does beg the question; does TMO charge for MMS if you have the data plan? I know they do for SMS.

I seem to recall a thread on this wherein someone had made the comment that they weren't discretely billed for MMS also.

One last question: Is there a way to filter SMS like there is in Options>MMS. When looking at my TMO bill on line I had a $.10 charge for an SMS from a number I don't recognize and I would like to limit SMS & MMs to only address book entries.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #18
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMK
I MMS'd this am. I checked my bill online and TMO hasn't billed me the $.25. Perhaps it takes awhile to get into the system, but it does beg the question; does TMO charge for MMS if you have the data plan? I know they do for SMS.

I seem to recall a thread on this wherein someone had made the comment that they weren't discretely billed for MMS also.

One last question: Is there a way to filter SMS like there is in Options>MMS. When looking at my TMO bill on line I had a $.10 charge for an SMS from a number I don't recognize and I would like to limit SMS & MMs to only address book entries.
You might want to switch to a Minutes & Mail BlackBerry plan. You get unlimited text messages.

As far as the filtering, I believe that T-Mo will have to do this for you. You have to call them and tell what numbers you want blocked.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 11-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #19
GMK

The question still remains; does TMO charge for MMS if you have the data plan?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #20
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMK
The question still remains; does TMO charge for MMS if you have the data plan?
Sorry, I forgot to answer that one. No, if you have a data plan, you are not charged for MMS. It uses the EDGE and GPRS network to send the MMS messages.

SMS are sent over the GSM network, so they are not included in the BB data plan, unless you have a Minutes & Mail plan.

www.coreymckinney.com
Closed Thread