BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
supersnoop

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint
Default Bizarre Signal/Data loss issue - Sprint 8830

Please Login to Remove!

I have a very odd problem with my Sprint 8830. It seems to happen randomly, but sometimes my data and phone signal disappear - I can't make or receive calls, and I can't surf the web. The data indicator (1XEV) disappears, and the signal bars show "x". The really weird part is that my BES emails still seem to come through, even though they should only work in 1XEV and 1X mode.

I've noticed the issue more on weekends than during the week. Also, I live in Dallas, but I've been back and forth to San Francisco four weeks out of the eight I've owned the phone. I thought the issue was exclusive to Dallas, but it's just happened in San Francisco this week.

I can usually get it working again by going to "Manage Connections" and cycling the Mobile Network. Oddly, it shows a red "x" when off and a green checkmark when on, but, when I experience this issue, it shows a yellow "-".

Also, battery life is terrible when this happens; one time my batter died in less than a day. Usually it lasts 2 or 3 days at a time.

I searched and found a couple similar issues, which suggested an O/S upgrade or resending the service books. No updated O/S is available for the Sprint version, and service books don't seem to help.

I thought it might be related to roaming - maybe the phone started to pick up a rogue signal; but I'm now set to "Home Only" and "1XEV" and the problem persists.

I took the phone to a Sprint repair location, and they offered to swap it out. Since I did not purchase from a corporate-owned Sprint store, they would only order a refurbished replacement, which didn't seem like a good idea.

So, after my rambling; does anyone have the same issue? Can anyone offer suggestions to overcome the issue?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
JDWallace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I have had the same problems. I think it is a Sprint coverage problem, but I could be wrong. I am sure there are probably 1000 reasons for it. As for the battery, I have had zero problem with it running out, heck it has never been past a half charge since I have had it. Usually when I am in the middle of being on the internet is when that message comes across the screen saying there is a network problem.

As for switching it out, I wouldn't if it was me. If you switch it, you will have a different PIN number. I use my PIN number a lot, so it would be a pain in the butt to get another one. Another reason is that there have been other with this problem, so switching units might not do anything for you. I have not called or went by Sprint to ask about this, because I've been swamped with work.

I would be interested to see what anyone out here has to say about this.

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 09-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
veks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: sprint

i've notice this to but i had full bars with no 1X, 1XEV indication or a D atleast
Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
robertpetry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SprintPCS

I have had the same problem with my sprint 8830.

While browsing I lose data signal and have to go to manage network connections and disable/enable them. I get the same yellow -

Tech support had me go to options>network and "start provisioning" in the menu to reprovision the phone. Then I had to go to options>advanced>host routing table and selected "register now" in the menu.

That seems to have helped but I just did it a couple of days ago. We shall see.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
jasonsky

Carrier: sprint

Yes, I noticed it too. It happened mostly at late night especially during night time over the weekend. Sometime I get no service at all. I would have to reconnect it. I live in Bay Area California.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #6
JDWallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpetry View Post
Tech support had me go to options>network and "start provisioning" in the menu to reprovision the phone. Then I had to go to options>advanced>host routing table and selected "register now" in the menu.
I tried this, but I get a "Provisioning failed (error 1012). I still attempted the HRT registration and received it. There has to be someone else out there that might know something about this.......

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 09-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWallace View Post
I tried this, but I get a "Provisioning failed (error 1012). I still attempted the HRT registration and received it. There has to be someone else out there that might know something about this.......
Was your 8830 "roaming" at the time? Did you see the triangle?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
john79g

Quote:
Originally Posted by veks View Post
i've notice this to but i had full bars with no 1X, 1XEV indication or a D atleast
I have had the same problem. I am glad to see i was not the only one. They initially replaced my phone, but the problem came back after a little while. I noticed it happens the most when i am in an area where Sprint has a Roaming Agreement. Do a *2 and see if your PRL needs updating. If the problem continues you need to get a Network Ticket opened. I have been working this issue with Sprint for nearly 3 weeks, so be patient...
Old 09-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
Brian-UT

Quote:
I had the same issue, including the error 1012. They replaced my 8830 this past week and the new one is connecting to EVDO continuously. It was still dropping off the network occasionally, but since making some tweaks in the browser (MS Pocket IE emulation and all option boxes checked) it has been much more reliable.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
JDWallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonx View Post
Was your 8830 "roaming" at the time? Did you see the triangle?
Nope, no triangle at all. I had full bars and 1XEV.

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #11
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Nope, no triangle at all. I had full bars and 1XEV.
I asked because I was getting the same error when I selected Start Provisioning when I was in 1X with the triangle. The next day when i was in a 1XEV with no triangle, I tried it and it successfully provisioned.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #12
mmohn01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

I get that problem on occasion and I have US Cellular. I turn the radio off and wait about 15 seconds and turn it back on. It works fine after that. It only happens about once a week, but I use mine like most people use a laptop. It gets abused.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
cruzer3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I am having the same issue. I have noticed it several times. I am surfing the web and then all of a sudden I get a NO REQUEST message back. I try and try to get the page back but it does not work. I also have noticed that sometimes when I am placing calls the call does not go all the way through. It shows Calling on the screen and then sits on that screen till I hit the hang-up button. I have not contated Sprint on this issue but I think it maybe somethign to do with thier nework. I have not seen this on any other device either that I have owned.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #14
harryzuluberries

PIN: DUPONT FIFTH AVENUE LARGE ORPHEO ROLLERBALL
Carrier: the Titanic

Swapped mine out and have had not an issue since. I have to say that that was quite frustrating before swapping! But have had my current device for a few weeks now and still going strong.

7510>7520>7100i>8830>8330>9630
Old 09-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #15
bnandreu
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm having the same issue. Sometimes though it just goes to 1x (little x) and even if I turn off wireless and turn it back it won't go away. I have to do a reboot Alt + Caps + Del and when it comes back I'm back on 1XEV. When I'm at 1x my battery does drain alot quicker. Odd thing is that 3 of us received these same devices at the same time and I'm the only one having any issues.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

Not sure if this helps, I have a 8800, and the other day experienced similiar issues except that I could not make calls or establish data connection. My provider is TMo, I called and told them about the issues, and they told me something about the blackberry service having some technical difficulties towards the end of last week and yesterday. The problem has improved some, but is still occurring. It may be worth a call to your provider to see if anything "might" be up.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #17
harryzuluberries

PIN: DUPONT FIFTH AVENUE LARGE ORPHEO ROLLERBALL
Carrier: the Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnandreu View Post
I'm having the same issue. Sometimes though it just goes to 1x (little x) and even if I turn off wireless and turn it back it won't go away. I have to do a reboot Alt + Caps + Del and when it comes back I'm back on 1XEV. When I'm at 1x my battery does drain alot quicker. Odd thing is that 3 of us received these same devices at the same time and I'm the only one having any issues.
Swap it out. Me and a buddy had the same dynamic......purchased around the same time, mine sucked, his worked flawlessly. Swapped mine, now mine works flawlessly.

7510>7520>7100i>8830>8330>9630
Closed Thread