Does 3.12 not work well?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #142
bperkins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckMakem
I loaded pocketmac on my Intel iMac and it won't recognise my 7250. Any ideas?
From PM's site:
Intel Mac Duo Compatibility Status:

01/23/2006: The new Mac Intel Duo machines running OS 10.4.4 have changed the way they relate to the USB ports on the computer. This change was made after we had already vetted the software on the transitional test machines that were available to developers prior to the big release. The machines they shipped, however, have a defect in the software that manages communications with the USB, and no update is available yet. In addition, GoBetween for Entourage does not display in iSync due to another unannounced change.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #143
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat
Does 3.12 not work well?
PM 3.12 generally does what it states it should (given a few irritating quirks), but has always fallen well short of RIM's Desktop Software in terms of functionality, most notably the ability to give Mac users the capability of uploading/dowloading software to a BB, and fully backing up/restoring a BB, including e-mail. Compounding this was IAA's apparent resistance to improving its product despite its de facto corner on the BB-using Mac market, thereby making lifelong fans of its customers. (I don't recall exactly how long, but v3.12 has been out for a long time without change, and only appeared long after Apple released Tiger...)

The recent announcement of the RIM/IAA partnership, and hints about what the next version of PM might offer Mac users, accounts for recent posts in this thread. You were wayyyyyy right, by the way, that this would be a free download to all users I see now that I shouldn't have stressed so much about it...
Old 02-04-2006, 05:11 PM   #144
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bperkins
01/23/2006: The new Mac Intel Duo machines running OS 10.4.4 have changed the way they relate to the USB ports on the computer. This change was made after we had already vetted the software on the transitional test machines that were available to developers prior to the big release. The machines they shipped, however, have a defect in the software that manages communications with the USB, and no update is available yet. In addition, GoBetween for Entourage does not display in iSync due to another unannounced change.[/i]
I read this, too, but I doubt this is due to a "defect" in Apple's software, for it would mean that Apple ignored/forgot about the myriad of USB-connected peripherals out there, but I haven't read/heard of any significant USB compatibility issues with the Intel Macs. Blackberry/PM interfacing, however, has never been high on Apple's list (otherwise, we wouldn't need PM in order to sync with Apple's iApps).

More than likely, CanuckMakem, PM will issue an update in the future that will enable your Intel Mac to recognize/sync with your 7250 via PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #145
CanuckMakem
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers

The downside to being an early adoptor I guess.... I can wait.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #146
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckMakem
The downside to being an early adoptor I guess.... I can wait.
Boy, you got that right! I too often let my natural impatience get the best of me when things don't work "right away..."

What intrigues me is the future of Apple's Intel-based Macs. Already far friendlier when dealing with PC files/protocols than the reverse, I've already speculated somewhere else on this site that it's only a matter of time before someone figures out how to run Windows natively on a Mac (if possible) - thereby opening up the total BB functionality that PC users have long enjoyed. But maybe that's what Apple has in mind? Not lost on me is the fact that the release of the Intel Macs and the RIM/IAA partnership were announced at the same time... How COOL would that be?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #147
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default PM Update Later This Month...

According to PM's Website:
...we will be releasing updates starting in mid-February to accommodate this new change in the Intel Duo machines.

Can't find anything to indicate if this will merely be a minor update, just to re-enable PM use with the new Intel Macs, or if this will be the major upgrade to PM we've been waiting for...
Old 02-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #148
deliriousedge

Model: 7105t

Hi everyone, I'm a new blackberry user, and am using pocketmac to sync my 7105t to my G5 iMac. Does pocketmac sync to blackberrys updated to 4.1? Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 02-16-2006, 07:35 PM   #149
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousedge
Hi everyone, I'm a new blackberry user, and am using pocketmac to sync my 7105t to my G5 iMac. Does pocketmac sync to blackberrys updated to 4.1? Thanks for the help everyone!
I'm on 4.1 with my 8700 and PM works for me. If you haven't bought PM yet, you're lucky cuz it's now a free download at PocketMac.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:51 PM   #150
deliriousedge

Model: 7105t

Yeah, I guess I got my blackberry at the right time, I got my blackberry the day they announced the license.

Quick note, I wish PM had a status bar and a log file like the bb software. Right now, there is a lag between the contact, calendar, etc. syncs. Is this happening to anybody else?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:07 AM   #151
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousedge
Yeah, I guess I got my blackberry at the right time, I got my blackberry the day they announced the license.

Quick note, I wish PM had a status bar and a log file like the bb software. Right now, there is a lag between the contact, calendar, etc. syncs. Is this happening to anybody else?
Yeah, that happens to me during a PM sync too. It's just part of PM's somewhat clumsy interface as PM works with Apple's iSync. That's why various windows pop up for each type of sync, i.e. calendar, tasks, etc.

I'm hoping that the next real upgrade to PM will put that stuff in the background and simply show one window with each of the (presently) four syncs and a status bar for each so you can tell where you're at in the process. I've actually tried to quit PM as it paused between syncs because I wasn't paying attention, only to be chastised with "PM isn't done yet!"

Also, I agree about the log. It would be nice if next to each of the sync-type logos, it would list the date/time of the last sync. There's SO much room for enhancing PM!
Old 05-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #152
edubs

Model: 7230
Default looking for help/info

hey all, sorry to leap in w/ random questions but i'm hoping someone out there can help. I'm trying to sync my bberry (7230) calendar w. entourage via pocketmac (3.13), and the handheld won't seem to recognize calendar additions made in entourage. When I sync pocketmac is also detecting "handheld deletions" that i didn't make, so i keep having to restore appts. Any thoughts?

second, was wondering whether anyone knows if pocket mac will work with the 8700g (the t mobile version) - i'd like to upgrade but don't see this specific model listed as supported by pocketmac.

thanks again
Old 05-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #153
proussak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubs
hey all, sorry to leap in w/ random questions but i'm hoping someone out there can help. I'm trying to sync my bberry (7230) calendar w. entourage via pocketmac (3.13), and the handheld won't seem to recognize calendar additions made in entourage. When I sync pocketmac is also detecting "handheld deletions" that i didn't make, so i keep having to restore appts. Any thoughts?

second, was wondering whether anyone knows if pocket mac will work with the 8700g (the t mobile version) - i'd like to upgrade but don't see this specific model listed as supported by pocketmac.

thanks again
As you'll see in posts elsewhere, it seems to be something of a crapshoot as to whether PM will work for a particular 8700 user. All I can say is don't expect too much!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #154
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Backing up BB phone data!!

BACKING UP: I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere, but I did a search before posting this...

I just got my BB8700g from T-Mo and I sync using Pocketmac to a Powerbook G4. Now that I have completely customized my Blackberry by adding new applications, and setting up the phone to show and work the way I want...I am concerned that there is no system to backup my data and setup. I know the PM folks are working on this and the ability to install new applications using their software (I spoke with them), but I'm wondering if anyone has found a creative way now of backing up the phone's data to another place and then restoring it (i.e. flash drive, etc)

Before I bought the 8700g, I was a longtime Palm user and Mac support on Palm sucked too at the beginning if you all remember. It's important we support all the 3rd party efforts by paying for the use of their software. There are some really good apps out there, and I'm hoping someone is working on a program like Backup Buddy was for Palm.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #155
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by proussak
As you'll see in posts elsewhere, it seems to be something of a crapshoot as to whether PM will work for a particular 8700 user. All I can say is don't expect too much!
Gotta agree with that assessment of PocketMac; I use PM daily to sync my 8700 to my Mac, and encounter the usual "quirks" with PM, such as task due-dates and times that don't transfer, depending on where I originally created 'em, as well as my long-time complaint that PM can't handle the "&" symbol, instead replacing it with the "+" symbol, among other things...

Still, it's all we Mac users got right now. RIM still refuses to develop a Mac-native desktop program despite its courting of Mac users as it grows its market share.

One thing I'm planning to explore (and predicted in a post here long ago) is using an Intel-based Mac to boot into Windoze specifically to sync/backup my BB using RIM's desktop software.

Seem to be short the $$$$ right now, however, but it's only a matter of time.

Bottom line: PocketMac is a necessity for Mac-based BB users, but only because of the lack of options. Now that PM is free, don't hesitate to use it.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #156
clyde_turkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800r
Carrier: Robbers Wireless
Angry I want to know....

what happened to the promised bluetooth sync and better support all around.
Seems like PM development has pretty much died since tiger was released. One measly update for Intel support and one for Tiger is all that they have done in over a year. Considering I had to actually pay for my copy, I'm a little pissed at the lack of progress.....
Old 06-13-2006, 08:20 AM   #157
theloneliestgoat

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
One measly update for Intel support and one for Tiger is all that they have done in over a year. Considering I had to actually pay for my copy, I'm a little pissed at the lack of progress.....
I'm with you. Not that it was a big chunk of change or anything, but the whole experience with this company has been subpar. Most of the people posting on here saying "works great for me, no issues" haven't spent enough time with it to get deep into the bugs.

And when you try to resolve these little bugs with PM's "tech support" you find out how poor this product really is. It takes them days to respond to anything, and when they do their basic cycle is to point you to syncClean and advanced prefs, and if your problem can't be resolved there they promise a "future update coming VERY SOON" that will address your problem and many others.

But at the end of the day there are no other solutions that work any better for BIS and the PM software is at least functional for most stuff.

Personaly, I love my BB but and fed up with PocketMac. Now that Sprint/Nextel are allowing bounces from one plan to another, I'm looking at moving to a Treo. Sure, I've read about the problems with the Treo, but Palm Desktop works great on a Mac, has worked great for years. I'm willing try swapping the pain of dealing with no native BB desktop client for dealing with the pain of a buggy Treo.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #158
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneliestgoat
I'm willing try swapping the pain of dealing with no native BB desktop client for dealing with the pain of a buggy Treo.
How sad.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #159
theloneliestgoat

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
How sad.
I know. Maybe the old saying "The devil you know..." applies here. We'll see.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:01 AM   #160
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Six months...

Half a year has passed and PM has been updated only once, and that was only to work with Intel Macs.

All of the excitement I felt with the partnership of RIM/PM - including features I've long wanted, such as an app loader, a Mac-native desktop program, etc. - is just about gone.

Sooooo, we Mac users must continue to seek alternatives. Thus, please weigh in on any of the following questions:
1. Has anyone heard a peep outta PM about a real upgrade in the works? (I haven't.)
2. Do any of you have an Intel Mac using Boot Camp to boot into XP and, thus, use RIM's Windows software to maintain your BB? (I'm seriously thinking of buying an Intel Mac, and this BB functionality is a major decision-maker for me...)
3. We covered this long ago in this thread, but please post about other third-party software you use to sync your BB/Mac. Have these programs evolved? Do they offer more functionality than PM?

Thanks!
Closed Thread