BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
TRafati

Default Recieving emails and recieving phone calls, different?

Please Login to Remove!

Is it possible to recieve phone calls and not emails and/or vice-versa due to reception/traffic?

One of my associates was somewhere and complained about not recieving any emails the entire time he was up there, but could recieve calls. He started recieving emails once he left. I Just want to make sure that emails and phones are going through different networks and that it's possible that he can't recieve one or the other at certain locations before I explain it to him.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
javed
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130
Carrier: Vodafone UK

BlackBerry devices are GSM/GPRS enabled and use the same part of the network to work. The sims are provisioned so that when the device is turned on it makes a connection to the GSM network (voice) and then GPRS.

Sometimes GPRS can be lost due to a coverage issue, however you may still be able to make voice calls are you are still connected to GSM.

GSM has a stronger signal strength than GPRS. Most mobile operators have more network connections for GSM that GPRS.

I do not believe you can simply switch between the ability to turn off GPRS and just use voice or vice versa, however the mobile operator may be able to put some sort of bar, but you will have to constantly contact them to turn this on or off.

Hope this helps

:o)
Old 04-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

It is definitely possible, especially if the Blackberry reads GSM or gprs instead of GPRS. Something that might help and is handy as an initial troubleshooting step is to turn off wireless and then turn it back on. I've found that this helps in some cases.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
TRafati

Thank You
Closed Thread