Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
sroetter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default Water damage indicator problem

Please Login to Remove!

I have had an 8700c since last November. This weekend I was cutting the grass and I clipped the phone on the inside of the elastic waistband of my shorts while I cut the grass. When I removed the phone, it was damp from sweat (not wet). I was switching to another phone for the weekend, and I noticed that the previously white square under the battery cover was now bright red (indicating exposure to water). The battery indicator had also changed to red. The phone works fine. If I ever have a problem with the phone, I am sure I will be denied warranty service due to the red square. Is there anything I can do?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Once red always red. Sweat and too much of it will harm a phone just as bad as a good dunking. Be glad it works and maybe leave it in a safe place while mowing! Blackberrys are tough!
Old 07-17-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Blackberrys are tough!
Very true. I did the same thing with my RAZR - (mowed the lawn, got it wet from sweat) and the RAZR didn't work at all. Lucky for me, the water indicator spot stayed white and they sent me a new phone for free.

You're fortunate the device still works.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
ScottPV
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Once red always red. Sweat and too much of it will harm a phone just as bad as a good dunking. Be glad it works and maybe leave it in a safe place while mowing! Blackberrys are tough!
Is the water indicator the white square in the battery compartment of my 7130e. My battery has red +s but seems to hold a charge ok.

Scott
Old 10-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
toddz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Something similar happened to me at the pub. I set my phone down on the table that had some (actually very little) condensation from bottles on it and a few drops got under the cover. I opened up the battery compartment and wiped them off. However now the white sticker is 50/50 red and white. In my opinion it is a very poor location to put the indicator. Under the battery or on the inside (hidden) of the case would have been better locations. However, I am sure RIM did this on purpose so that even the smallest drop of water will void the warranty and boost their sales. Because what else are you going to do, switch?

If you feel you have been cheated out of a good white sticker, you could always be underhanded. It is just a sticker.

toddz
Old 10-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Greg8700G
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700G

Ummm those should just be red stickers.... When I was a sprint employee ppl would bring them in all the time well one day i experiment and it was just a sticker.......you should be able to take the sticker off and then if u tend to have a problem just go buy a new battery from ebay or something and then send it in under warranty
Old 10-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
BES admin

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPV
Is the water indicator the white square in the battery compartment of my 7130e. My battery has red +s but seems to hold a charge ok.

Scott
The red Plus symbols bleed when they get wet. If they have not bled, yer all good.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
BES admin

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg8700G
Ummm those should just be red stickers.... When I was a sprint employee ppl would bring them in all the time well one day i experiment and it was just a sticker.......you should be able to take the sticker off and then if u tend to have a problem just go buy a new battery from ebay or something and then send it in under warranty
There are stickers on the battery, inside the battery compartment and inside the device (2 of them).

If the device gets wet, you will need to replace all 4 moisture indicators in hope of getting a new device.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
Greg8700G
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700G

Tel them you go pushed in a pool...Worked once for me as well. Device was no where near theprice if the BB but it was kinda close...

WOW....Addicition! I LOVE MY BLACKBERRY 8700G!
Pin: 23D638E7
Old 10-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
SprintGuyUGA
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: n/a

In response to the OP:

Hopefully you subscribe to your service providers "Insurance" program so that if/when you BB fails you can have it serviced/replaced.

If you are caught w/o "Insurance", then you maybe SOL.

Back up your contacts and phone info so if/when it fails you will not be at a total loss.

Hope your BB last forever though!
Closed Thread