Old 07-10-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
Mixx

Model: 8700
Default Corporate email via Outlook Web Access

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I`ve read this
Quote:
If your company runs Outlook Web Access, your IT department doesn't need to know that you're tapping into their e-mail with a mobile device.
about the BB in in article of PC Magazin. Wonder, what that means. Do they mean a browser access or is there a way to dowload email or even get it pushed without a BES server?

Can somebody help out, please?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Wishdemon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I use Outlook Web Access. It essentially acts like any other email address, (ex: [email address]). You do not get the instantaneous email that BES offers; instead you get the polling that the BIS plan offers. Now, if you can your IT dept that has BES to let you in on it, i would definitely suggest doing that....so that you can get instantaneous push email, your contacts, calendar, folders, etc.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
Mixx

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishdemon
I use Outlook Web Access. It essentially acts like any other email address, (ex: [email address]). You do not get the instantaneous email that BES offers; instead you get the polling that the BIS plan offers. Now, if you can your IT dept that has BES to let you in on it, i would definitely suggest doing that....so that you can get instantaneous push email, your contacts, calendar, folders, etc.
Thanks a million, that would be good enough. But how do I configure it? All I know is how to access Outlook via Webmail (which is a http address).
Old 07-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
Wishdemon

Well, I am not sure if its the same across the board, although I know its the same as any other BIS account....I used my domain and username along with the password....try different things until it accepts it. I first only put my username and password and it didnt work and then I thought to put my domain/username and it worked.

It should be essentially what you use to log in in outlook web access.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: S AND NEEDLES
Carrier: VZW

This is how I access my corporate mail through the BIS. I had the tricky domain/username deal, but overcame it with little challenge. I see only a few minute lag between corporate mail and my BB.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
hotsauce26
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: Cingular

I put my entire email address and it accepted it. But I have not received any emails thus far...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
hotsauce26
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: Cingular

never mind here they come...
Old 07-15-2006, 02:52 AM   #8
ScottE22
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

I learned a neat little trick from re-reading Mark's FAQ... If you go into BIS and configure a new account but put in a bogus name and password, it will take you to an "Advanced" configuration screen. I couldn't get Outlook Web Access working until I could manually configure the domain, etc.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: none

Wirelessly posted (My sword: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

While accessing outlook via owa, can u delete mail on the server..??? I'm non bes, I can delete yahoo mail (nonpremium) from the server from my bb, but for some reason I can't delete my other paid pop3 (non yahoo) mail from the server..?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:34 AM   #10
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Yahoo is the only POP account that removes it from your web access (i bleieve - the rest will just delete off of the POP server)

OWA will delete off the server when you delete it on your handheld. Same w/ IMAP accounts and Domino (if it's using mail connector)
Old 07-17-2006, 03:56 AM   #11
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (My sword: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Thx.. Now ill add my owa
Old 07-18-2006, 04:20 AM   #12
jtely

Model: 7105T
Exclamation ADMIN HELP! Server 2003 OWA

I personally bought my Blackberry through Tmo, the same company my corp uses. They have a BES but do not authorize access for BB's that are not company owned for security reasons. I have a BB 7105T and have succeeded in setting up my email acount via BIS, but about a minute or two later I recieve an email that says "This email account is no longer accessible by your BlackBerry handheld. This issue is likely cause by a recent change to the password used to access this account" I normally access my email through the our microsoft exchange server 2003 OWA and I know that my password is not changing. So as it stands I need to access my email through my BB browser which is super slow and tedious. I have checked out my options when I'm logged into my online outlook and I have no forwarding options or anything. The download mail connector doesn't work either. I would really appreciate anyones insight that has gone through this or knows a loophole I havent found!
Jt
Old 07-18-2006, 06:01 AM   #13
kasperapd

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I had the same problem. I went back into BIS and double checked all my settings. It ends up that I had the URL incorrect. I had it as http and it needed to be https.

I generally just use the http when logging on from a standard computer, and then apparently the site automatically redirects me to the https site.

Once I made that change, everything started working. Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

I'm still amazed at the lengths people will go to to break the corporate security policies.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:55 PM   #15
jtely

Model: 7105T

Thanks Kasperapd, adding the "s" fixed the problem and I have gotten emails all day. To your point CanuckBB, I followed up with our Help Desk today to ensure I wasn't going to be jeopardizing my position just to recieve my emails on my phone. Their answer was that we do not have a policy regarding how you access your company email, they just ask you utilize the exchange servers premium sercurity features when accessing through a shared pc, but I understand your point on security policies. They are in place to protect the companies interests and as an employee who wants to keep their position, I wouldn't recommend waivering. Thanks again- Jt
Old 07-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #16
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

question for the tmobile guys that use bis and owa.. When you are adding the server info, there is a field 'account name', do you use your user name, or email add. I've tried both to no avail.. Its dark in here, can someone shed some light??
Old 07-21-2006, 01:07 AM   #17
FightingDevil

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I've finally setup my OWA to work with my TMO 8700. When I get into the office tomorrow, I'll post the details of what's in which field for my OWA setup. Can't do it right now, sorry! I'm at the Philadelphia Orchestra and am getting the 'look' from my better half! Hope you don't mind waiting until then...sorry!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:12 AM   #18
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (the deal maker: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Cool deal!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:23 AM   #19
ScottE22
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingDevil
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

...I'm at the Philadelphia Orchestra and am getting the 'look' from my better half! ...
I think anyone who's used a 'berry for any length of time knows that look...

Old 07-21-2006, 03:28 AM   #20
Wishdemon

Try your addy without the @.....whatever....so if your addy was [email address] youd put just username. You can also try the username you use to log into your work computer, also try first letter first name and entire last name.
Closed Thread