Old 05-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
EmptyInTheHead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default New email un-pauses media player - 8830

Please Login to Remove!

On my 8830 if I leave the media player paused and then go on to other applications, it will un-pause the media player whenever I receive a new email. This can be quite embarrassing if I'm in a meeting and I un-holster my BB because I receive an email and it starts blaring some song. If I leave it out of the holster it appears that it un-pauses as soon as I click on the new message, or sometimes if I just roll over it! Has anyone else experienced this or know a workaround? (...and no I'm not accidentally hitting the mute button).
Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
EmptyInTheHead

Sorry to bump my own thread but I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. Can someone please give this a try and post back your results?

Simply get a list of songs playing in media player then pause it (must be more than one song in playlist). Exit media play without closing (like by going back to the home page). Send yourself an email. When you open the new email, the next song in media player will un-pause start playing.

I'd like some confirmation that others are having this problem before I take it to VZW & RIM. I'm also curious if 8800 and Pearl users have this problem or if it's just the 8830?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Teledatageek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyInTheHead View Post
Sorry to bump my own thread but I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. Can someone please give this a try and post back your results?

Simply get a list of songs playing in media player then pause it (must be more than one song in playlist). Exit media play without closing (like by going back to the home page). Send yourself an email. When you open the new email, the next song in media player will un-pause start playing.

I'd like some confirmation that others are having this problem before I take it to VZW & RIM. I'm also curious if 8800 and Pearl users have this problem or if it's just the 8830?
I set it up as you described and it did not start playing. I was curious as the media player started a couple of times on me while in the holster. I thought I had exited the media player as you described but maybe I had left it at the main screen and then it was bumped in my Seido holster... hasn't happened again.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
2 Samuel 22

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom

I cannot re-create the described problem either. I've tried on two different8830s on v4.2.266 (Platform 3.0.045)

Do you have any non-standard apps installed?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
EmptyInTheHead

Thanks for testing this for me. At least now I know that it's just me. I can do some more testing to see the exact cause of this odd problem.

I have a couple of non-standard apps installed, JiveTalk, Gmail, & Google Maps. That's about it. Now that the device software has been posted I may try to completely wipe this thing and start over.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
EmptyInTheHead

It turns out that recreate this problem you have to have your profile set just right. If your profile is set to vibrate for message both in and out of holster then you should be able to recreate the problem. I have tested this on three 8830's now and it behaves the same on all of them. 2 of these were freshly activated with nothing changed.

I also tried wiping my 8830 and wiping my BES backup data and starting from scratch. At first it appeared that it was fixed because the default profile is set to do nothing when out of holster. As soon as I received a message while in holster and then quickly removed the BB, it un-paused the media player again. That's when I started playing around with profiles and discovered that you have to have it set to vibrate or vibrate+tone for this to happen.
Closed Thread