BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 09-29-2006, 01:51 AM   #21
simarjeet.sahni

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Default im thinking about getting the e61

Please Login to Remove!

I happen to carry two blackberrys a 8700 and a 7100, I have canceled my data plan on the 7100 a while back, and am just using it for my us number. While i cant fathom getting rid of the 8700 for email, i can see myself getting the e61 to replace the 7100. Hopefully it is a suitable replacement for just plain browsing and phone compared to the 7100. And wifi based browsing and voip seem very sexy to me.

Last edited by simarjeet.sahni; 09-29-2006 at 01:54 AM..
Old 09-29-2006, 01:59 AM   #22
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, they are sexy. But the Symbian OS is just soooo slow that I gave up on the E61....
Old 09-29-2006, 02:23 AM   #23
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Did somebody say 8700g?

No contest... 8700g all the way. Nokia who?

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 10-18-2006, 10:10 AM   #24
bully
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Q20
Carrier: Telekom Romania
Default Hard decision...

PRO E61 : better screen , browse on net is better experience , phone function quality , miniSD slot , better battery lifetime ( important to me ) and the BEST is TV Live ( streaming and downloading ) offered on my mobile provider Orange , WLAN connect to hotspot...
PRO BB 8700g : fast on email push , stable OS .
Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #25
Halford1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermaster
my comments............

Bought the Nokia E61....
1st Day - Loved it, uploaded MP3's, Videos , Setup BB, profiles etc........ but never ended up using it much that day...

2nd Day - Started getting irrated with not having shortcuts for reply, formward , sms shortcuts & the slow speed.....Wated to pull my hair off by night.

3rd Day - Called my dealer & got rid of the phone.

Back to my BB8 8700.

I'm thinking of trying the Sony Ericsson M600i or waiting for the SonyEricsson P990i.
Any thoughts on the M600i prrformance????
What are you doing? It is like having a wife and constantly look for another woman. BB is best so far. It served me well. As long as it serve me well, I do not need to look for another pager/phone.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #26
Halford1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialekt
Now..YES i'm considering going back to the blackberry 8700g.. sad aint it? But it's due to hardware reasons..speakerphone capabilities and etc. I think i just may give up on all phones. To be honest all RIM needs to do is jump on the slim factor, full querty, Q style, multimedia, external memory bandwagon and we shall all be happy.

Hope your 8700 will take you back. It is almost considered adultery to abandon BB for somehting inferior...
Old 10-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #27
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Yes, they are sexy. But the Symbian OS is just soooo slow that I gave up on the E61....
i have agree with NJ the e62 is way to slow yes the screen is awsome and the internet is nice, but performance wise and the abilty to do its job perfect nothing beats the 8700c, g or what ever letter comes after. dont get me wrong i own the 9500,9300 and the E61 all good phones but when you compare it to the blackberry no match. people need to remember the blackberry started off as a business tool and slow became more of a main stream for alot of people and it did not lose it business view and it start more of a business phone and that why till today its beating alot or all phone out there when it comes down to email and internet and sms. if your looking for a toy get sidekick or the 9500 if you want to show off lol
Old 10-18-2006, 04:12 PM   #28
Arkay

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I gave up on an E61 as well, really gave it a chance...three actually, even with the updated firmware.

It's a sexy device and has some features I like over my 8700, especially that screen, but honestly, it just doesn't cut it as a replacement for the BB and had some serious bugs even with the newer firmware.

I have, however, ordered a new unlocked Treo 750v and have found the BB Connect for it so am looking forward to trying it. The fact that it is quad band made it a easy choice to try on the Cingular network.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #29
ajg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: M600i
Carrier: T-Mobile

I test this stuff all the time. I am also, for this reason I feel, pretty impartial about this most of the time. Of all the mobile OSes, the only two worth using are BB OS and S60. BB's OS is definitely faster but certainly not as powerful. I know I'll get a lot of heat for saying that, but it is really true. Now, that isn't to say the less powerful OS is inferior... not at all. Just simply not as powerful. The email system on the BB is really nice. S60's email has a few functions that will set it appart. For example, if I have a Word doc, and image to send via an email, I can compose and email with those attached. Texting and MMS is more powerful on S60 as well... actually, multimedia in general. BB's will give you a lot of nifty shortcuts and so making it a bit more efficient. Certain thing, however, are more powerful on S60 like the Call Log and connectivity (WiFi, Bluetooth OBEX, etc.) So it really is a call you have to make regarding what *you* want and need.

I have a Nokia N70 after a long time with a Blackberry. I'll say this, there are certain things that make me miss my BB. If I switched back to a BB, I know I'd be crying to go back to my N70 in a few days. They are both really easy to use, stable and wonderful to use. Everyone needs something a littl different so go with what your gut tells you. Just don't use Palm OS or Windows Mobile... they just aren't up to par.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #30
allankawakami@yahoo.com

Model: 9700
PIN: 215DA2B1
Carrier: AT&T
Smile Nokia E62

Hi! Like you I am always looking for new toys to excite me. I am a loyal BB user and a 6 months back bought an unlocked E62 (USA Model E61). I used this module with cingular using BB connect. I liked so many features on this phone to mention, but the bottom line is for me, not being able to use my enterprise BB to synch my calendar and contacts. that is not a limitation of the unit, but my company's restriction with enterprise BB. Althought the unit has many nice features some of its basic function are hard to find and navigate. The E62 has a Wi-Fi feature that is what the E61 lacks which is awesome. I was so ued to the speed of the internet on the BB and the E61's internet cannot compare. Overall the unit was great and fun!!! I recently switched to using the BB Pearl (unlocked) using Cingular and I've got to tell you, you might want to go to the pearl instead of the E62? either way you will be happy,, but the pearl is awesome!

Quote:
The moment I get all excited and settle on a device I accidentally stumble across this device called the Nokia E61. I've been vastlyl looking for a pda phone that does NOT have windows on it. My blackberry 8700G rocks. But the E61 does look like it actually could be better. My concerns are obviously how fast I can do things on the e61 vs the 8700g. The trackwheel is just damn fast on the blackberry, and extremely easy to navigate/highlight etc. The keyboard is cramped. Everything else about it rocks..but obviously there is no expandibility. With the zen theme installed on the blackberry my ringers are really loud ( some with audible distortion/speaker stress). How loud are mp3 ringers on the nokia e61? Can you load mp3 ringers via miniSD card? Which keyboard do I look for? I've heard talks of the euro keyboard, spanish keyboard, and asian keyboard..

All in all I have a place where I can buy this phone locally...I'm interested in checking out out...Any 8700 series converts on the E61 now and loving it?

Pros and cons..? Looking to buy or not buy today. Sad because I got my 2 cases coming in for my 8700g
Old 02-15-2007, 04:31 AM   #31
billybobthorton

Model: perl
Default better late than never

I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions of the e61 for those that are considering it. Yes there are shortcuts, tons of them. The only problem is that they are not documented. You can reply by just pressing the joystick in twice. There are several push email solutions to choose from as well as some free ones. I have $5.99 per month unlimited data plan with free integrated push email. There's an optional program on the nokia site to download for this functionality. (mail for exchange)

The e61 is fast, until you load a bunch of third party programs on it. Then the lag can be up to 3 seconds. Email on my phone though does not lag at all.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #32
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
so what makes this device so slow ?.i'm honestly scared to shell out the dough as of now. I was gonna buy this thing this morning its like 2:00 am ..wanted to grab it overnight. But now i'm rethinking. You think shortcuts will be addressed in a firmware upgrade? I got a lot of friends that keep telling me to "hang in there" on the blackberry side because the upcoming stuff is supposed to make my head spin. I'm willing to give another company a chance if it meets my needs. hmm..this is interesting. I still haven't opened my shipping boxes for these cases..Actually I think I'm going to do that right now. I MUST HAVE A PEEK! (fortte and piel frama)
The E61 is a vastly superior device to any BB. In fact its on a completely different level. Folk who like the BB better do so only if Email is their only concern and also they are a bit biased.

I use BB connect on the E61 and it is seamless, just as good as any bb device. In addition you get:
1. Wifi
2. 3G UMTS
3. Thinner and more robustly made
4. Symbian OS is a different league from bb
5. 16m colour display is much crisper then bb
6. Bags of software available. Nothing available for BB (almost)
7. BB menu system is archaic, I hated it (I ran a bb for a bit)
8. VOIP stack built into E61. I use truphone, its amazing
9. nice golf game you get free with e61
10. multi-tasking much more robust then bb

Its true that the v1 E61 firmware was a bit beta. But the device is now on v3 (which you can upgrade automatically over the internet).

If you just want email and feel the need to support canadian manufacturing, then buy a BB. otherwise there is no point!

I would also point out that Windows Mobile 5 (shock! horror!) has a good bb connect system. And of course its obvious that WM5 AKU3 blows BB os back to the paleolithic (it was already stoneage).
Old 03-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #33
alphasports
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers (CAN) / A1 (AUT) / Swisscom (SUI) / T-Mobile (USA)

I ran BB's for a couple of years, up to and including the Pearl, before going for an E61 a few months ago. The E61 was destroyed yesterday and I have happily replaced it with another 8700.

The E61 absolutely demolishes the BB feature set, including the new 8800 series. The problem with it is the Symbian OS: it is very sluggish compared to the BB, which is normal given its overpowering features, but this doesn't make me feel any better using it. It is slow, pure and simple. The WiFi is good, and the browser is excellent, but the OS tends to be a bit buggy even on v3. What put me over the edge is a very peculiar quirk of bad design: the On-Off switch is located in the top right corner of the face, very close to where your earlobe rests when you're on the phone. The result is the tendency for the phone to shut off in the middle of a call. Due to Murphy's Law this means that only the important calls will suffer from this problem, as was the case yesterday, resulting in the violent demise of the phone!

The E61 also is cursed by a spongy, low-contrast keyboard that is often difficult to read under certain lighting conditions. Drove me nuts.

They are coming out with an upgraded model, the E61i, which includes a camera and an improved OS, but reports suggest it offers no better performance. I saw pre-release pics of the wifi-enabled BB8300 yesterday, and will probably wait on it.

As everyone's said a million times on these forums, it all depends what your needs are. I love the gadgetry of these new superphones but when it's simply not ready for primetime I prefer the simplicity of the BB.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #34
thefonedoc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 Ireland

I share the same view as everybody else has stated basically
Loved the look of E61 and all the features
Got one and used it and really stuck with it for a few months, but ultimately I went back to my 8700.

My reason????........... I need a device which primarily handles emails well and the E61 didnt do it. It was sluggish. Very difficult to copy, paste, forward, etc etc All links opened in wap browser and most would not run there, so had to copy them manually and exit mail and open browser and paste the address and start a new connection each time!!!

Also, the other thing I would like to add is that Blackberry Connect is just NOWHERE near Blackberry on ANY device. Have just spent the last few weeks using BB Connect on a Treo 750V and a HTC Hermes/Tytn and AGAIN, I am back with the 8700. Cannot do quick searches for text in an email, search by sender, search by subject etc
Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #35
cellindo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: option - status
Carrier: XL & Indosat

once again. don't compare Blackberry handset vs Blackberry Connect handset.
is very2 different.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 AM   #36
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c

comparing is what its all about as we need to find out which is better for our needs . IT IS A VERY TOUGH decision. :( I've had extensive experience with all major devices including the E61 and the recent E61i (which is a fairly big improvement over the e61). I have a thread running elsewhere so it is kinda tiring to repeat myself but if anyone wants to revive this thread I'd be more than welcome to keep it going because I want to hear from the blackberry side of users vs the symbian lovers. Good to hear fanboys on both ends.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #37
jpiamth

Model: 8100
Carrier: M1

Can you let me know your link? I'm trying to see if it's worth jumping from Pearl to E61i.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #38
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c

"Talking Why I Love My E61i E61i Video Samples & Screenshots included"
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Why I Love My E61i E61i Video Samples & Screenshots included

is a reason to check it out..

"Traded E61i for a Blackberry 8800: Regrets? Should I come back?"
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Traded E61i for a Blackberry 8800: Regrets? Should I come back?

I have used ALL devices extensively. Well I won't say all but pretty much most of the popular PPC/Smartphone/Symbian/Blackberry devices. It's hard to say what will work best for you but read both of those carefully..watch the videos and just think before you make any impulsive decisions.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #39
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

The BB is much easier to use.That make a difference everyday.