Old 06-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
webzilla
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: 31415926
Carrier: TMob
Default Tethering 8320 with Mac 10.5

Please Login to Remove!

After wasting several hours on the phone with T-Mobile BlackBerry and modem support, I became convinced Mac tethering is just not going to work.

But this was many months ago, perhaps there have been new developments?

My Mac is MacBook Pro running now OS 10.5.3. My BlackBerry's an 8320 on, as I said, T-Mobile.

Last edited by webzilla; 06-11-2008 at 08:36 PM..
Old 06-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
sequethin

PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

I would absolutely love to learn about this as I have the same setup!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
tntaylor

Model: 8100
Carrier: n/a
Angry

Ditto here. I've been searching high and low for info on tethering my Mac and 8320. I keep running into a wall when instructions for tethering start talking about going to the Devices subpanel. When I follow System Preferences--Bluetooth--Devices tab, I just don't have any tabs on the Bluetooth window.

frustration.

t!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
idealist
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 240F8BEC
Carrier: TMO

If you are trying to tether your 8320 to your Mac to use as a modem you will probably have to wait for the new 4.5 8320 OS. The BT stack in the current OS does not allow you to stay connected to the internet unless you are running Boot Camp or Parrelles with Windows OS and running your Desktop Manager.

I have tried this hundred's of times and with various blackberry models and this problem seems to be isolated to the 8320. It works great with the 8100, 8700 & 8800 but no luck with the 8320 yet.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
CatherineLW

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Default Tethering the 8820 with Mac OS X Leopard.

You say this works perfectly with 8800? I can't get it to. I have an 8820 that I'm trying to use with Mac OS X Leopard.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
Knocka
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

I do not believe there is any way to reliably tether the 83xx to a Mac except by running Windows on the Mac with Bootcamp, Parallels or VM Ware Fusion. The problem, however, is that my understanding is that if the internet connection is established on the "Windows" side (using VM Ware Fusion or Parallels), the "Mac" side cannot see it. The reverse is NOT true. Internet connections on the Mac side are shared on the Windows side. The socket, as I understand it, is one way only. Thus, while it is possible to tether using Windows on the Mac, you cannot then use that internet connection on the Mac side. I would love to be corrected on this because the one thing that stops me from getting an Air to replace my 3 year old Sony Vaio is this restriction. Knocka
Old 07-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
CatherineLW

Well, I got it to work. It's nice and slow, but...

First, I got updated modem scripts for Leopard from fibble.org (it's the second post or so). Then, I went to the forums at fibble and found the correct login information for my cell provider (I used Cingular even though I'm with AT&T, which works fine--apparently, they haven't updated it). The problem was that many of the sites I'd been going to said I should enter either *99# or *99***#1 as the phone number. The folks at Fibble said wap.cingular was what I should enter (when using WAP in my username, at least). Once I made that change, I was able to do it. Follow the directions at the fibble links above and see if you can get it to work. I hope it works for you, too!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
CatherineLW

Sorry--no links in that post, despite my reference to them. Apparently I have to post 10 times before I can insert links. If there's a point to that, I can't find it... Navigating Fibble was pretty easy, though.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
CatherineLW

Just so you know... I tried the above configuration with ISP in place of WAP in both relevant fields (phone number & username) and that works too. I've seen at least one post on this subject that claims that ISP is faster. I haven't tested that myself, but FYI
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
webzilla

PIN: 31415926
Carrier: TMob

Hey, got it working, my t-mobile 8320 currently running 4.5.0.42 she be reliably tethered (so far) to my macbook pro running 10.5.3. Speedtest showed 122 kbps down, about what I'd expected, and -- ugh -- 17 kbps up.

If anyone wants to try, send me a private msg with your email address and I will reply with forwards of how-to emails from tech support (with a link to get the script).

Last edited by webzilla; 07-09-2008 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #11
faerie

Model: 8330
Carrier: us cellular

is this viable for any blackberry .. what i mean .. i am on us cellular and wonder if i can do this with my blackberry, contingent on finding it may work (like waht webzilla has done).

i guess i need to do more research to see if my blackberry has been crippled by my cell phone service provider.
Closed Thread