BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Impact of North American Daylight Saving Time changes in 2007 on BlackBerry device us

Please Login to Remove!

BlackBerry

The standard dates for North American Daylight Saving Time (DST) change in March 2007. Previously, DST began on the first Sunday in April and ended on the last Sunday in October. As of March 2007, DST begins on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November. Visit http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...:h6enr.txt.pdf to read Sec.110 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 for more information.

When the DST dates change in March 2007, the BlackBerry device will not update the clock for the affected time zones. As a result, the BlackBerry device might not display correct time zone information.

Single instance and recurring appointments, and the reminders for those appointments, might appear 1 hour late on the BlackBerry device if the appointments start in one of the following windows in any year:

between the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in April; for example, 11 March 2007 to 1 April 2007
between the last Sunday in October and the first Sunday in November; for example, 28 October 2007 to 4 November 2007
You might experience the following calendar events when the DST dates change in March 2007:

If the calendar on the BlackBerry device synchronizes with the email application on your computer, your appointment start times might appear incorrectly on the BlackBerry device.
If you create a recurring appointment that starts in the specified windows, all instances of the appointment might appear incorrectly in the calendar on the BlackBerry device.
If you accept a request to a meeting that is scheduled to start in the specified windows, the appointment might appear incorrectly in the calendar on the BlackBerry device.
If you schedule a meeting to start in the specified windows, the appointment might appear incorrectly in attendees' calendars.
As a result of the new DST dates in North America, several new time zones are being introduced globally in 2007. The introduction of these new time zones might cause further inconsistencies in the calendar on the BlackBerry device, because these new time zones do not yet exist in the BlackBerry Device Software or in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Resolution
Users can change the time on the BlackBerry device manually at the start and end of the new and old DST dates. Changing the time alone is sufficient for users who do not use their calendars actively and synchronize it with a PC. To update the DST information for the BlackBerry Device Software and BlackBerry Enterprise Server, you must apply patches to all versions of the software. These patches will be available in late January 2007. Please use the links below for more information.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
dcrell

Model: 7290

What if you set the Date/Time Source to "Network" instead of the default "Blackberry"? Would the Blackberry then pick up the time change from the cell network and be correct?

RIM is insane if they think updating OS on handhelds is a option. I've got over a 1000 road warriors most of whom are out of the office 99.9% of the time. Not to mention the man hours to perform this on all these devices. And they've yet to put out the "fixed" OS for the 7200 series.

I's like to know if anyone knows the difference between setting the source Date/Time from the default "Blackberry" to "Network" does. And will this solve the issue of the DST date changes?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
snowskier79

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.

Great post x14, thanks!
Old 01-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrell
RIM is insane if they think updating OS on handhelds is a option. I've got over a 1000 road warriors most of whom are out of the office 99.9% of the time. Not to mention the man hours to perform this on all these devices.

as per this: Livelink - Redirection
Quote:
BlackBerry devices that are running BlackBerry Device Software Version 4.0.0, 4.0.2, and 4.1.0 (earlier than the versions specified above) require a new .cod file to update the DST values in the BlackBerry Device Software. This .cod file will be available for download at BlackBerry.
So you can just push that down via the BES, done and done.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
x14

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||
as per this: Livelink - Redirection

So you can just push that down via the BES, done and done.
This only works with BES 4.1.3 (not available yet) and BlackBerry Device Software Version 4.2.0 (not available yet).
Old 01-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14
This only works with BES 4.1.3 (not available yet) and BlackBerry Device Software Version 4.2.0 (not available yet).
Not what I'm talking about. You should be able to push the .cod file from any 4.0+ BES. and this is for any 4.0+ Handheld software to update it.

Edit: yeah I am assuming that you can push it down wirelessly. If there is no way to do that then yes it will be a pain.

Last edited by |||||||; 01-05-2007 at 05:13 PM..
Old 01-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
MarkF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT

I'm hearing there will be a newer version of the cdo.dll file installed on the Exchange servers. That newer version will have to be installed on the BES.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Stu_Bee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

To me it seems that RIM is running late on this. They need to release the files as soon as a possible..the closer the problematic DST dates get, the more user entries for those future calendar dates will be entered.
From what I gather from RIM's Current documentation:
=========
SERVER
=========
- Administrators need to upgrade their BES servers to a version later than 4.0.5
- Apply OS patches to BES server for new DST (such as windows2003 DST patch)
- Domino: Install a hotfix from RIM for BlackBerry Enterprise Server Version 4.1 SP1 and 4.1 SP2. Not Yet Released! They don't mention 4.0.6....so I'm not sure what's required there.
- Exchange. Um..check the pdf here:
Livelink - Redirection
=========
Users
=========
- All BlackBerry users must apply a Microsoft Windows® patch to update the time zone registry keys on their computers.
- BlackBerry devices that are running BlackBerry Device Software Version 4.0.0, 4.0.2, and 4.1.0 (earlier than the versions specified above) require a new .cod file to update the DST values in the BlackBerry Device Software. This .cod file will be available for download at BlackBerry. NOT YET AVAILABLE
Old 01-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #9
compudude
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon

Yes, RIM sure is taking their time on this. MS is not doing much better either.

In the case of Exchange 2000, MS states they will not be provide a public patch, although they have a patch ready. Only to be handed out to shops that opted for Exchange 2000 extended support contracts back when. So RIM is testing the Exchange 2003 System Manager, along with its DST patch, on BES 4.1.2 running against Exchange 2000. I guess the big issue is CDO, as it stores its own timezone table separate from the OS' (registery-based) table.

I've been asking RIM for more info, but they just tell to keep checking their site. As for MS, my attempts to get them to own up to the fact that the DST 2007 changes were law back in August 2005, when Exchnage 2000 was still in mainline support, is getting me no where fast.

At lease RIM seems to be trying to get Exchange 2000 shops a work-around.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Site has been updated go nuts:

BlackBerry
Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #11
Stu_Bee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||
Site has been updated go nuts:
BlackBerry
You mean the part where they say:
"RIM plans to deliver the patches and updates by early February"
Old 01-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #12
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Bee
You mean the part where they say:
"RIM plans to deliver the patches and updates by early February"
And the part where it explains how there will be the ability to push the update from the BES to all 4.0 and new handhelds.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #13
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

if you have MDS running, I suppose. we don't...sucks to be me.
BES 4.1
Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #14
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

...and the part where it says we can visit the website to download the patch, yet no download exists. And yeah, RIM is the ONLY vendor we have thus far that has not delivered a patch yet (excluding legacy operating systems and applications). To say that this is rather disappointing is an understatement.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #15
edonin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I'm not thrilled at the some of provider device OS solution implementations for the DST tables. On RIM's Impact To Devices page, Cingular and a few others are only showing OS updates for the 8700. I hope that they have plans to include OS upgrades with the requisite DST tables for the other devices, like the 7100, which really aren't that old. Otherwise this process is going to be a whole lot less picnic-like than I'd hope for.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #16
x14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonin
I'm not thrilled at the some of provider device OS solution implementations for the DST tables. On RIM's Impact To Devices page, Cingular and a few others are only showing OS updates for the 8700. I hope that they have plans to include OS upgrades with the requisite DST tables for the other devices, like the 7100, which really aren't that old. Otherwise this process is going to be a whole lot less picnic-like than I'd hope for.
Then don't every buy Verizon BlackBerry. We have BB with Cingular, Verizon, Nextel and some other carriers. Verizon is the worst in keeping up with OS revision. If it's not the latest and greatest model you ain't getting any updates.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #17
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonin
A 400-800KB COD patch is really that bad? Pre-4.0 versions of the OS should be considered as unsupported (Microsoft doesn't support Windows Server 2000 and prior, for example) and won't receive patches - update the device if you can. I honestly wouldn't be too concerned with the OS updates and look more at the smaller patches as fixes.

Otherwise, RIM does have a manual solution available, although it's not necessarily a good solution (but it works).
Old 01-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #18
Natrone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Found out that Microsoft's internal documents state they will release the CDO patch for Exchange 2003 SP2 for this problem on January 16th. I would assume that RIM will have something available sometime after that.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #19
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydi
if you have MDS running, I suppose. we don't...sucks to be me.
You don't need MDS running you can push it wirelessly if you are on BES 4.x
Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #20
porod
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Looks like Microsoft's Exchange 2003 patch is available.

Update for daylight saving time changes in 2007 for Exchange 2003

Last edited by porod; 01-17-2007 at 09:01 AM..
Closed Thread