BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Will you/Have you moved away from your BlackBerry?
Absolutely Not! BlackBerry Forever. 150 29.53%
I am considering it, moving to the Android Platform 112 22.05%
I am considering it, moving to the iPhone Platform 83 16.34%
I am considering it, moving to the Windows 7 Platform 21 4.13%
I have. I moved on to the Android Platform, Goodbye BlackBerry! 32 6.30%
I have. I moved on to the iPhone Platform, Goodbye BlackBerry! 24 4.72%
I have. I moved on to the Windows 7 Platform, Goodbye BlackBerry! 1 0.20%
I won't consider a move yet, I have faith RIM will come out with a competing device. 84 16.54%
I have no desire to use my mobile phone as a multimedia/app station. BlackBerry is best for me. 42 8.27%
My BlackBerry was issued to me, I have no choice in the matter. 18 3.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #81
Dirtywater24

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Will you move away from BlackBerry?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm with AT&T and was ready to make the switch to a Droid 2 (because of the physical keyboard). My main gripe with my Curve 8300 had been the terrible internet browser. When I went online to upgrade, I noticed an offer for a reconditioned Torch 9800 for free, so I'm sticking with BB for now. I'll compare it with my wife's iPhone and see how it plays out.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #82
jeffcg8tr

Model: 8700c
Carrier: T-Mobile

I moved to a G2 with T-Mobile for a week and moved right back. The Android was awesome but it was lacking fundamentals. Most importantly it lacked BBM. So I am back... But I am looking for RIM to step it up. The android was close and could easily surpass RIM with the right moves.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #83
MSAUSSIE

Model: 9700

Waiting for the IPHONE to x to Verizon and then I off. Of course, work will keep the BB.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #84
nathanl

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

i will be honest i may end up moving to iphone once Verizon starts selling them i own the Ipad already and love it. i hope the playbook turns me back i have been bb for 5 years i hate to jump ship now.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #85
pastorz

Model: 7290

Anytime I have thought about ditching my BB for another phone, something happens to convince me that BB is the best out there right now. It's reliable, great battery life, durable and still respected as a tool and not just a toy. I love my BB!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #86
picaroon

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus

Love the platform. Just got an iPad recently and love it for what it does, but what it does is pretty limited.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #87
connex91

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I tried moving to Android (gave up on iPhone a while ago) and as fun as it is, no other phone handles messaging and copy/paste like a blackberry! I Upgraded from my beloved 9700 to a 9800 and I feel like I have the best of both worlds: large touch screen, better camera, wicked media features AND a full keyboard + bbm. Why would anyone switch? ;)
Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #88
Eldertrout

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
There is lots of talk, but very little actual data to back it up. I am curious how many of you are considering moving away from your BlackBerry and moving on to another device that can do more for you in whatever category.
I have moved on due to the problems I experienced with the operating software issues that weren't being resolved by RIM nor Verizon. I only moved out of desperation. I had fought the "digitized audio BUZZ" problems. I attempted several contacts with RIM and was ignored. It was only after I threatened to drop my service before they gave me another phone with similar features...the Motorola Droid. Had RIM replied to my emails I would probably still have my Storm 2, but they didn't, so I don't.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #89
Nworkp

Model: 9530
Carrier: Mts

I'm developing apps for bb platform, but more then year use iOS devices as primary. May Blackberry pad will fix situation.

Last edited by Nworkp; 12-14-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Old 12-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #90
mwyarm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

It is under consideration. I am a loyal fan of a device, use it until it breaks, versus flipping devices everytime something new is delivered. To that point I used my 7130e which was an awesome device for email and phone for over 7+, maybe even longer, years. I just threw it away a month ago as the scroll on the side is skipping and I cannot scroll easily. What I liked about the device was that it was SURETYPE, open faced (no flip), and raised keys with space in between each key. I could pick up the phone and with just the feel of the raised keys I could press a speed dial or type with one hand if needed. In many cases I could feel my way around to press the speed key to dial something without looking.

Personal preference but I have large fingers and I have not been able to use any BB's with the small full keyboards. They are too close together and my finger probably stretches across two keys. For work, given we require a blackberry, and obvioulsy the 7130 is old, I use the Storm 2 so I can leverage the large SURETYPE keyboard in portrait mode.

Given RIM apparently does not view the Storm products as strategic and they are not investing in timely upgrades and given the tiny keyboards that have come out over the years, I am looking for other options. If RIM came out with a SURETYPE keyboard with raised keys and spaces between keys I would not be looking.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #91
Fabiank

Carrier: Simple Mobile

blackberry may has issues and what not, but you have to remember its life things change and gets better. Look we have Blackberry 6
Old 12-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #92
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810

I currently have a Nokia N900 and a LG Quantum running WP7. I wanted to use the native email client on the device and get push/SSL email with calendar/contact sync without paying for hosted exchange and BES. The N900 only takes 1 exchange account so I get all that for Hotmail. WP7 lets you have multiple EAS accounts so I have everything for Hotmail and Gmail. Too bad for me my primary account is Yahoo – but I believe Yahoo will be coming soon. There are problems with both devices though – there are always problems.

Each phone I hold in my hand does something well – too bad there isn’t “one” that does everything well. BB is the closest to “problem free” for me (and this thread is about preference really)… I swap out the SIM and take it for the day depending on my needs – it’s a very good visual in full sun and I can pound out text messages/IM's on that keyboard better than any slider out there. When Yahoo delivers EAS I may try AstraSync through the BB.

Sandy
Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #93
unixops

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

I bought a iPhone for my wife, she loves it! But to meself, I would stay on BlackBerry!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #94
brownkc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT

I'm strongly considering a move to the iPhone for my next device. I'm a 3rd gen BB user and have been happy with my BB smartphones but I think there is less reason to stick around these days. The hardware is falling behind the competition and the future of the software is a big question mark. Will they iron out OS 6 or is it just a stepping stone to QNX? Will we be lab rats for the next couple of years as they iron out issues?

I recently purchased an iPad. I was looking at buying an ereader but liked the idea of a multitool for an upcoming 3 week Europe trip (The playbook may be out by then but will still be too new for good app support). I realized b&w epaper doesn't work so well with travel guides and my goal was to replace a couple of books and several (3-5) guidebooks with one device. An iPad will give me wifi access to the internet, email access, storage for pics, color guide books (even some new interactive guide apps), access to all ereader mediums (iBooks, Kindle, Nook and Googlebooks), a calendar that syncs to my work calendar, a synced contact list, and music/video/games to entertain me during the down times. After getting it and syncing it with my work's Exchange server, I have found there is little difference from my 9700 on the BES. The only thing I use that was lost was the notes function from Outlook (not a big deal because I always thought it was a pretty crappy solution for storing information), remote wipe (I think there may be a way to do this on the iPad) and automatic backups of the device (I just have to manually connect the iPad to my computer). Now, I am thinking it would be nice to have a phone that would sync with the iPad. Obviously, an iPhone would be better at this than a BB or Droid phone.

I considered the Torch a real let down. One of my points of pride with the 9700 when it came out was its clarity of text(ppi). I often teased my iPhone toting friends that it had the same resolution that there iPhones with a 50% larger screen had. I pointed out that RIM did this because this device was made for the purpose of keeping in contact and clearer text provided just that. Obviously, that wasn't RIM's goal seeing as how the Torch has the same resolution as the old iPhones. Aso, I have gotten tired of fighting with permissions every time I want to use an app. I have spoken with the IT person that manages our BES and he said they run it stock without additional restrictions yet it seems every time I add a new app, I find it won't run because "Allow" is not an option (Googlemaps for about 6 months and currently the Kindle app are examples). I want one device to handle my life. I don't think BB is the right device anymore.

Finally, I received this message about 20 minutes ago:

"Just as a reminder, if you have stopped using a Blackberry as your smart phone please contact the Help Desk so that we can remove your account from the server.

We are seeing 5-8 accounts become inactive each month and our use of this server is now just 52 people. We are monitoring its usage as it does take resources to manage. Don’t be concerned. We have no plans to eliminate the service at this time. However, most of our customers have moved to iPhones or Android based devices that eliminate the need for this additional service."

It looks like my IT department has helped me to make up my mind.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #95
john.grisum

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers, telus, & bell

I use my BB for work and my Iphone for play! They have their own niches.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #96
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810

Just note on the voting... it was hard, just because you are running several different devices doesn't necessarily mean "good bye Blackberry."
Old 12-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #97
DJ Double-Shot

Model: 8530
Carrier: US Cellular
Thumbs up Re: Will you move away from BlackBerry?

My first BB was an 8130 Pearl. I loved the phone, but hated the sticky trackball. That particular model had some other minor issues, but I tolerated them considering I paid only $35 for the phone. It was used and came with an 8 GB SD card.

This past April I was eligible for a phone upgrade and I chose the BB 8530 Curve II. Wow what a difference between it and the Pearl! I have a 16 GB SD card in it and almost 1400 MP3s. I am appreciative of the multimedia functions in the BB devices. I am a mobile DJ and have had to depend on my Curve II to bail me out of a few binds while performing, either by tethering or having a song on my phone that was not already on my computer's hard drive.

When my carrier added 3G to it's network I just about fainted. The new speed is awesome. C'mon 4G!

Will I ever switch to something else? Not likely anytime soon. I have faith that RIM will improve when the time is right for me.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #98
kichigai

Model: 8900

I'm going to move away.

I've never owned smartphones with the same OS twice in a row. From WinMo 5/6 (T-Mobile Dash) to Symbian S60v3 (Nokia N73) to BlackBerry OS 4/5 (BlackBerry 8900). I own an iPod Touch (1st Generation, so I've seen all versions of iOS up until 4), so I know about what owning an iPhone would be like (and I've been on AT&T long enough to know I'm not ready to pay their higher carriage rates and receive about the same level service and worse customer service), so I might as well get an Android phone and experience the full gamut of phone OSes.

I've also been quite unimpressed with BlackBerry OS as a platform, and the applications developed for it. The only app I've come to really like is SocialScope. Everything else has frustrated me, because I can't do simple things I could do on my N73, like cropping photos (I haven't found a single app that not only claims to do this, but functions correctly). Performance is lackluster (at least on the 8900), memory management is unpredictable, applications are rarely innovative, apps don't seem to have the same level of attention and finesse applied to them as competing platforms get, and it's irritating that so many "apps" are just links to web pages.

I'm not writing off BlackBerry forever, but I want to try an Android phone, so maybe when BlackBerry OS 7 rolls around, I'll consider it again, but for now, I'm going to continue my adventure through various mobile platforms.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #99
rogerR57

Model: 8820
Carrier: Movistar
Red face Re: Will you move away from BlackBerry?

I don't have a BB yet, but my son. Seing what he is able to do, I certainly want to have one. But at this moment it is not affordable to me.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #100
pip22

Model: 8520
PIN: Guess
Carrier: O2-UK

The BB I currently have is my first smartphone & I love what you can do with it - most of the competition have only touch-screen handsets which I cannot get used to at all & don't like them even though it means you get a bigger screen. A keypad-equipped BB is the best for me & just the right size. Have no plans to change to another brand - it would be pointless when a BB meets all my requirements.