Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

mzini:

APN: wap.cingular
Username for APN: [email address]
Password for APn: CINGULAR1

I didn't make any other changes other than the TCP settings and everything has worked fine.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #22
gabeosx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

I do not get charged per kilobyte and I'm a Cingular customer. You need to keep calling. Do not let them sign you up for data connect or medianet. It is simply something that needs to be added to your account. My BlackBerry couldn't use the APN out of the box and I called 3 different lines (611, then BlackBerry support, and finally my company's dedicated support line). I finally got a rep who knew how to set up my account.

The thing is that the rep on the BlackBerry support line told me I need a data connect plan and I said "fine, put a pay per usage plan on my account." He claimed that one did not exist in the system. To me, that is a sign that it is a problem with the provisioning.

If I were you, I would email this address: [email address] it is the office of the CEO. I think its definitely worth escilating it to this level... every other day there is a thread on some wireless forum about how Cingular screwed up their BlackBerry billing. I'm sure BlackBerry is a very important product for Cingular and the higher ups should know how the CS reps are screwing them out of money from people cancelling their BB service.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:29 AM   #23
nwmud

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT

mzini,

I know you have heard this before. Talking to the Blackberry support at Cingular and having them add wap as per other threads around here is all it takes. I got it the first time armed with data from the forums. They said that the system would not add it on top of the Blackberry plan. But when I insisted they put it on and it took it. No more tunnel errors from then on.

It does bug me that the reps give everyone different answers when they call. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop when they charge me for $600 worth of data connection.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:35 AM   #24
bigboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlevine
mzini:

Password for APn: CINGULAR1

I didn't make any other changes other than the TCP settings and everything has worked fine.
is it "WAP@CINGULAR.COM" or "WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" ?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:12 AM   #25
mws222
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

ordered mine today, hopefully i won't have any problems adding it when i call to get the bb unlimited added when i receive the phone
Old 12-12-2005, 04:03 AM   #26
XDS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Any help with HSDA.CINGULAR.COM High Speed Data Acceleration.

Hrmm...

Regards,
~
Old 12-12-2005, 05:09 AM   #27
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Yeah, I am going to keep on trying. So far, every rep I have talked to has told me that I need to pay for a medianet plan... guess I haven't got that lucky CS rep yet! It's too bad these reps dont have direct lines so that once we get the name and number of a rep who knows what they are doing we can post it here hahahaha

And regarding the APN, I thought it was @CINGULARGPRS not @CINGULAR?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:07 AM   #28
XDS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Wait A minute did I miss something , isn't all cingular's high speed capable phones supposed to use the CINGONE.HSDA or something like that.

Regards,
~
Old 12-12-2005, 06:14 AM   #29
XDS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Someone needs to blast the forum and get everyone informed about some of the nice little WAP Acceleration proxies like OnSpeed.com .

Regards,
~
Old 12-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #30
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Again, this is EXACTLY how mine is set up and it works without fail:

Password for APN: CINGULAR1
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #31
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

FWIW, my TCP settings were blank. No problems using the browsers, pocketday or bblocal. I was able to connect my laptop and use the bb as a modem. However, all the speed tests were low. When connected as a modem I was getting only 65kbps. Using the dslreports page on the bb I was getting 12kbps.

I changed the settings as noted by jonlevine and now, on the bb, I'm getting 38-41kbps from dslreports. I haven't checked the laptop yet, nor have I checked to see if I'm being billed for data. Slower than I expected but much better than gprs.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #32
indysully
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I got my 8700c on Friday and converted to Orange from a 7290 on Blue. I spoke with the data help desk over the weekend because my SMS was not working and he validated that the wap.cingular was included in the cost of my BB data package. I will see when the bill comes on 12/15 and post more information.
Treo 600 > 7290 > 8700c > 8100c
PIN: 23E8F771
Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 PM   #33
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysully
I got my 8700c on Friday and converted to Orange from a 7290 on Blue. I spoke with the data help desk over the weekend because my SMS was not working and he validated that the wap.cingular was included in the cost of my BB data package. I will see when the bill comes on 12/15 and post more information.
This was my case too. On the first day that i got the 8700 one rep told me that media net can not be added while the main one said it is included. Any way, I have sice communicated directly with BB support personel who went over my account carefully and made sure that all was good. One thing that they found was a provision for pay per use and that has since been removed and all has been working on the wap side. I will know more once I get my first full month on the BB plan and hopefully it will be correct but at least I am comfortable knowing that a couple of people are stnding by to correct it if something is out of the norm.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:06 PM   #34
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

My last bill had charges, I called and they removed them all and made "some changes", I will see this month, but I sure don't want to have to call every month to get the charges removed and run the risk of someday have to pay the fees. On said thing is the data useage on the website doesn't give you detailed info. The charge items show up different than the free data. It would be nice if Cingular put the detail on the website so you could see the charges before the end of the month and that $1000 bill ;)
Old 12-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #35
Airpoppoff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I've talked to 3 different cingular data reps, and none of them even had a clue as what to it is that i'm talking about.

This is annoying the crap out of me.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:00 PM   #36
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon

Dumb question warning! When you are entering in the password, how can you confirm that the letters are going in in upper case, since they appear as asterisks?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:36 PM   #37
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcpher
Dumb question warning! When you are entering in the password, how can you confirm that the letters are going in in upper case, since they appear as asterisks?
Press the "alt" key the the "cap" key and you'll see a large up arrow in the top right corner. That puts you in upper case mode.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:03 AM   #38
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
FWIW, my TCP settings were blank. No problems using the browsers, pocketday or bblocal. I was able to connect my laptop and use the bb as a modem. However, all the speed tests were low. When connected as a modem I was getting only 65kbps. Using the dslreports page on the bb I was getting 12kbps.

I changed the settings as noted by jonlevine and now, on the bb, I'm getting 38-41kbps from dslreports. I haven't checked the laptop yet, nor have I checked to see if I'm being billed for data. Slower than I expected but much better than gprs.

Regards-Michael G.

I get about the same speeds from DSLReports when I tether and go there from my laptop.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:42 AM   #39
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally got my WAP to work, and I didn't even call Cingular! All I did was use [email address] instead of [email address], which is what I've always tried and thought it was. As soon as I switched it, everything works now.

I'm using Ramble IM. Sweet program

Jonlevine - you were right! I am so happy to finally have this solved! I just hope I don't get data charges... but from what I'm reading on those boards it doesn't seem like I will. If I do, I will call and complain.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:22 AM   #40
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

No luck here with any of the settings. I tried calling cingular, but they are closed already. I'll call tomorrow to see if I can get them to add wap.cingular to my APN settings.
Closed Thread