Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #41
GoHawks63
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I have had my Torch now for close to two weeks after coming off of a Bold 9000 which I loved.

If you're a diehard BB user, the Torch does require an adjustment period, and technically I'm still in it as it's still under two weeks, but I REALLY (emphasis on the really) like the Torch. I didn't say LOVE because it's still early, along with a couple of minor issues.

I'll talk about specifics in a bit, but here are some general thoughts. I do love how there are multiple ways to navigate throughout the menus and features. Click here, tap there, use the touchpad to scroll one time, swipe with your finger another time. Depending on where your finger(s) are at any given time you can choose a different method to provide your inputs. It's subtle, but after using it this short time, I think it would be disappointing for me to ever have to go back and be constrainted by a trackball/pad alone to navigate. It still feels a little clunky to have to slide out the keypad to type, as I hate touch screen keyboards, but I'm getting used to it. My hate for the touch screen keyboards is not specific to the Torch, but a dislike in general of them. I have a iTouch, and my wife is on her second iPhone and for the life of me I don't know how iPhone users could ever consider that a serious emailing device. I use my phone a lot and it's always with me. Always. I'm not a huge app user, but the few I use seem to work quicker (despite the processor issue) than my old 9000. There are a few apps that I had that are not available yet for the Torch, but I hardly consider that an issue yet. It's a new phone. I'm sure versions will be made available in due time. The web surfing experience is leaps ahead of prior BB experiences. Finally BB has caught up to the rest of the world.

Here are some random thoughts on specific areas where I've seen people complain:

Touch screen - I already made my point about touch screen keyboards, so taking that aside I think the touch screen on the Torch is pretty comparable to those on the iPhone/iTouch. Not overly sensitive and you don't have to press hard for it to read the inputs. I do wish that the screen would automatically lock when it dims (as in the iPhone) instead of me always having to purposely press the lock key at the top of the device. I usually use the holster when in the office, but when away from the office it usually goes in my pocket. I haven't butt dialed anyone yet, but it seems to be only a matter of time when that'll happen.

Screen resolution - Again, this is a Blackberry so I use it primarily for email and few multimedia apps. I would classify my game play as little to non-existent, so I can't really speak to that, but given the processor issue and the screen resolution, it's probably safe to say that it doesn't compare to other devices. I'll let others speak to that. I do minor/moderate web surfing and and the graphics and web pages are comparable to those of my Bold. No surprise since RIM didn't invest a lot here.

Processor/Speed - In my time I had two instances where the phone seemed to lock up and I had to do a battery pull to revive the device, and both instances happened on the same day. Aside from that I can only recall once or twice where it seemed as if the device "lagged". Generally the phone responds instantly when loading and using applications.

Keyboard - This is where I felt I took a step down from my Bold 9000. The keyboard on that device had to be the best that RIM ever put on a BB. The keyboard on the Torch may be comparable to other BBs (Tour, 9700) so it may be a lateral move for most, but for me it was a move down. The keys are smaller and while I don't think I have big thumbs, I'm still mistyping more so than before by overlapping a key when I type. Having said all that, it works and I think I'm getting better at it.

Call quality - Nothing unique to speak about either way. Comparable to my old phone. I guess that's a good thing.

Speaker quality - The 9000 has an awesome speaker and there were several times I used it as a speaker phone when conducting a meeting. The speaker in the Torch does sound more tinny. This isn't a dealbreaker for me, but I could understand the complaints.

Bluetooth & WiFi - No issues to speak of. Everything works flawlessly.

In summary, the Torch isn't groundbreaking like the iPhone was when it came out, but it's a progression. It's a step forwad, although many people feel that RIM was so far behind that the step forward wasn't enough. I'm not sure I agree as there isn't a device yet on the market that is all things to all people. Some are better at email and business use. Some are better with apps, some are better with mutlimedia.

In my opinion, the Torch is more more evolutionary then revolutionary.

Last edited by GoHawks63; 09-19-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #42
jcp007
Thumbs Must Hurt

After over a month with my Torch, I have never regretted giving up my 9700 which now has a home with my MIL. The touchscreen, trackpad, and physical/virtual keyboards make messaging and web-browsing more enjoyable. The OS 6 offers more customization and functional performance possible. The tabbed browsing, pinch to zoom, and tap as well as swipe to scroll is awesome. I agree that it is evolutionary but innovation should take off with more to come from acquisitions like Torch Mobile, Cellmania and DocToGo as well as a continuing partnership with AT&T.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #43
nathan62969
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ATT

After two days with my new Torch, humbs up here too, after moving from a 9000.

Room for improvement:

The lock key on top is too sensitive.

The phone itself is a little bit on the heavy and delicate side, but understandable. Really hoping to find the right kind of -- rubberized or other -- case to take care of that .... am searching, want something slimmer than the otterbox.

Would have preferred a manual keyboard a little bit closer (bigger) in size to the 9000 (which would make the whole phone wider, but that is ok imo), but may just need some adjustment time. Also, the manual keyboard is sort of in a basin rather protruding -- hopefully just some readjustment on my part to come back up to speed if not excel?

Would have much preferred -- if possible? -- more punctuation marks being included on the initial virtual keyboard, rather than having to change to a secondary keyboard for that.

Would like that global icon key next to the space bar on the virtual keyboard -- serving in the first instance as a change language function, and secondarily (when the first is turned off) as a return function -- going away somehow. Heck, make it a comma!

The slider a little bit catchier to slide upon touch.

Would have been a little bit nicer if some of the stock bb apps had a facelift or two.

Sort of a little annoying that the "manage connections" function is too easily accessible by touching the top of the screen -- have inadvertently changed some of the connections without meaning to. Hopefully readjustment will solve that. (Anyone know if that can be disabled somehow -- can't seem to find such an option?)

Not sure, coming from a 9000, if I would have preferred a universal usb port or this micro...

Would have preferred Amazon/ATT sending me a USB cable AND a separate charger, rather than a plug that needs the USB cable to charge the phone.

Having said all that, those all are pretty much minor -- hopefully all will get lost in readjustment ahead while otherwise...

I REALLY LIKE, among other things:

Of course, the touchscreen in addition to the manual keyboard option. And better screen resolution.

Being able to turn the phone on its side to get a larger virtual keyboard.

Otherwise, being able to transition from the manual/virtual keyboard depending on function.

The larger megapixel camera/videocam.

Wow, this webkit browser kicks ass in several ways -- fast, tabs, touchscreen zoom, etc! Same overall with the 6.0 OS, so far!....

Universal Search -- WOW!

Being able to sift left/right from various collections (all, favorites, downloads, etc) of apps -- really nice!

Nicer media player. Trackpad. Picture gallery. Social Feeds.

Grippier, easier back cover.

Stock IM apps.

Again, coming from a 9000 -- ALL THE EXTRA application and device memory space!

...anyways, thanks RIM!

Last edited by nathan62969; 09-25-2010 at 12:13 AM..
Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #44
nathan62969

...."humbs up"....

I meant "thumbs up"
Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #45
flightattorney
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Re: Anybody else love the Torch?

I had reservations, but I went with the 9800 instead of jumping to the Droid world, and I am happy I stayed. I thought my 9000 experience was very good; the 9800, when the OS matures, will be better. I have trouble with the screen keyboard and even the slide out keyboard, though, due to my fat fingers. Honestly, the only thing I miss abut the Bold is the great keyboard.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #46
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightattorney View Post
I had reservations, but I went with the 9800 instead of jumping to the Droid world, and I am happy I stayed. I thought my 9000 experience was very good; the 9800, when the OS matures, will be better. I have trouble with the screen keyboard and even the slide out keyboard, though, due to my fat fingers. Honestly, the only thing I miss abut the Bold is the great keyboard.
surely this critism would apply to every BB except the 9000 ?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 AM   #47
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone

The 9800 is excellent. By far the best BB. Like the 9780/9700 with a large touch screen thrown in if you want to use it which hardly changes the dimensions of the device.

Its a win-win situation

I had an iphone 4 and got bored and got a HTC Desire. I then had an HTC HD7. I actually like WP7 better then both Android and iOS, but the question is why am I using a torch now ?

Basically the most important thing to me are phone calls, email, messaging, facebook and occasional browsing. Now the Torch is using a webkit browser it is just a far better package for these things then the other phones.
Not just for battery life but also usability, configurability and mostly reliability.

The great thing about the Torch is that IMHO BB have got the hardware for the Torch right.
You could argue for higher resolution screen or faster CPU but ultimately they are incremental rather then fundamental.

It does seem that RIM has learnt from the storms and worked out how to keep the reliable BB experience whilst adding another layer, which I think does not get in the way of the BB experience, perhaps just for a few niggles.
Now that the hardware is right, RIM can really continue to fix and enhance through firmware updates alone.

At the end of the day, the torch is easier to use for me then the other blackberries.
The fact that you get click on the screen on virtually anything you want is so much quicker and more intuative then non-touch.
All the other blackberrys seem like stoneage to me now.

On the iphone/Android/HTC HD7, all excellent but the email is just not as reliable, particularly as BB can claw email in areas of intermittant signal by downloading pieces. Wiith Apple/WP7/Android all new emails have to come at once, otherwise the whole thing fails. So at my work reception is very dodgy but the 9800 has no difficultly in getting my email asap. With the iphone I had to go for a walk outside to get my email!!

Finally, I can't understand many of the reviews saying it is complicated. There are many more options then iOS/WP7 (Android ??) but for someone like me this is a positive advantage. Perhaps reviewers are not as clever as they used to be !!!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #48
rnail

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete777 View Post
Not so sure about that. There are countless BB9000 users on this and other boards (myself included) who have been asking and waiting for RIM to come out with a device with the form factor of a 9000 yet with the memory, track pad, etc. of a Torch or even a 9700.

Seriously, if RIM came out with something like that it would fly out of the stores (obviously it would be targeted more for the business user). We're not looking for sliders or fancy stuff like that. Just a well built device with a usable keyboard and enough memory to run all the applications we need to run to be productive.

But with the new 9780 on the horizon (with a 9700 form factor no less) It still doesn't look like RIM is listening to us.
I have stated this exact thing many times. Give me a 9000 form factor device with the larger keyboard, possibly a slightly taller device to accomodate a 3 in screen, operating system 6.0, the larger memory, and a faster processor - I would snatch it up in a second. The 9000 has been hugely successful and the update would be the same. Most hardcore blackberry users want a simple one-handed device, but don't want to be jealous of some of the newer droid or I-phone brousing/screen size features.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #49
fc6968

The Torch is my 4th blackberry. Ive always been partial to touch screens,so when the Storm II came out I had to have it,the clicky screen was a big let down to me. But , The Torch is exactly what I wanted .
Old 12-04-2010, 02:44 AM   #50
qwikster5

Model: 8900

It's a HEAVY SLIDER. You actually like it?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #51
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

The Torch is a very good phone with a very bad rep.

But here's my overall ...

CONS
1 - It is way to easy to accidently engage the top lock button. It's in the same place where it exists on the 9700 but Rim has built it differently for whatever reason.

2 - The micro USB port is awkwardly placed at the near bottom left of the device. While charging or syncing at home, this is not really a big deal however, when charging in the car, it's hard to lay the device down in a good place where I feel comfortable enough that it wont fly around with the movement of my vehicle.

3 - The Torch, being a touch screen device, is cursed with fingerprint city. I'm constantly rubbing this thing down.

4 - The speaker volume is a bit of a compromise from my Bold 9700. It's still pretty good - just not as good.

PROS -
1 - With the already superior keyboard and trackpad combination, RIM has added the touchscreen as an addition to the method of input and it responds very well to the touch. I did experience some getting used to the on-screen key board but I found that, even in portrait mode, if I position both my hands a certain way (to hold the balance of weight at the top), input is much faster and more accurate. It's still not as success as the keypad, but with the Torch, the option is there.

2 - I think Rim's business plan with the 9800 was to make sure everything is available at the user's fingertips (quite literally). Well, they have succeeded. The universal search is an awesome convenience. Who needs menu after menu when you can simply type what want and it's right there. I want to play Brick Breaker? Then I simply type in b-r-i-c ... and before I can finish typing the whole word, there is the icon for that app (along with other possible options that the Torch suggests that I might have been searching for, including possible songs with those letters in the title, other apps or files with similar keywords in their titles, or even internet searches. I don't have to (if I don't want to) go to scroll through icons and folders and categories, YEAH.

3 - But it doesn't stop there. With the new Wi-Fi Sync feature, I can access and song on my computer and download it onto my device wirelessly. It's so great to have this function. Specifically, the desktop manager syncs my comupter's music with my 9800 - ALL OF THEM. The songs on my computer stays there but are listed on my device but they are gray'd out because they do not exist on my media card. Should I want to download a particular song on my device to listen to it, I simply press download ... TA DA. I can even hide all those gray's out songs by choosing "hide home music" from the menu option and only the songs that are on my device will be displayed.

4 - Hands down, the webkit browser experience is a much appreciated and long awaited improvement from all other Blackberry operating systems. I've heard that competing devices have browser and screen resolutions that are superior to the Torch's. That may be true but make no mistake. The 9800 screen is more than suitable for most of what I do every day (as I suspect the same is true with the average cell phone user). Even it's not better, it's certainly not a con and it's much better than previous Blackberries.

5 - I noticed by accident that when I look up a contact in my address book, at the bottom of their card, there is a rather long log of the most recent communication activity with that person whether it was a phone call, text message, or even BBM. That's a pretty nifty feature to be able to see that log and be able to recall those communications. FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 - The homepage design with all the alerts accessible at the top center of the screen is just a joy. I almost never go into the separate email/text/social media folders anymore. Everything is again at my fingertips and at a glance when I press that icon. The Torch even provides all the up and coming calendar events.

All those pluses and you should couple those with the small conveniences like the new social feed feature, the enhancements with better options to enter contact information, the sleek design, and the fact that it's still a Blackberry (which means that it's push email and security capabilities are the greatest out there and, unlike a notable competitor, there still something to be said about the removable battery and expandable storage).

You asked the question who loves their Torch, and I would have to say, I'm a HUGE fan. Despite what you may have read, this baby is a well oiled machine. Yes, it has some quirks but what device doesn't?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #52
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by brill View Post
I've taken a different approach. For the instances I need "great resolution" and a workable browser and other nifty apps, I have gone to an iPad which I carry in my work satchel. I have relegated my Blackberry to phone calls and emails only-- For that, resolution is not a concern to me.
Same here except that my high resolution, great apps, toy is not an iPad. It's an iPod touch, which in carry in my pocket. It only has wifi, but I'm not tied to a monthly ATT fee. I can always fall back on the Torch when not in range.

The Torch is my email workhorse. Nothing comes close to RIM in that regard.

Last edited by guinda35; 12-10-2010 at 07:31 PM..
Old 12-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #53
Dirtywater24

Model: 8310

I just ordered a new Torch, I was about to switch to Android for the browser. Hopefully the OS 6 Browser works for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #54
oss117

I love my torch, pics are awesome, yes, sometimes, it;s a bit slow to respond, but it's a great device ! Perfect gadget !
Old 12-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #55
DPSkiman

I wasn't originally thrilled with the Torch, when moving from the Bold 2, but it's growing on me. I like the finger-pinch zoom capability that the touch screen enables, which gives me a valid excuse to leave the iPhone "sim-less" and use it as an iPod. I have some 40+ smartphones, and the Torch is still my primary device. It's all about what YOU like in a phone, hence so many flavors. Droids are ok, but still a bit premature in my humble opinion.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #56
jbdavi2

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thline View Post
I have to say, this thread has convinced me to hold off on getting the torch. I've been on my 1st Gen Bold and I really don't think I could go from this to a lower resolution screen, smaller keyboard and a crappier speaker. I also read on Crackberry that daily battery pulls were required. I went through that $#it when I got my Bold and thankfully that has been taken care of.

It looks like a great new release for RIM but I think I will pass for now and see what they come up with in the 2nd Gen. Who knows, maybe I'll actually make it to the end of my 3 year Rogers contract!
Hello, I am not sure where that "daily battery pull" came from I haven't had to pull the battery for just about anything. Maybe during the upgrade when it froze up, but besides that I don't even turn it off. I am very satisfied with the Torch as it was such a short learning curve from the Curve.

I even went from a no contract needed (paid every month ) with my curve to a two year with AT&T and there is No buyers remorse.

Jones
Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #57
alphasports

Carrier: Rogers (CAN) / A1 (AUT) / Swisscom (SUI) / T-Mobile (USA)

I'm on the latest OS (.337) and need to pull the battery at least every couple of days due to partial screen freezeups (lower sliding menu will partially disappear, leaving half of it still visible and active and the rest invisible) etc etc.

I still "like" the phone as a foil for my iphone, but it's not a home run device by any stretch. That said, it IS a big step in the right direction for RIM though.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #58
xayoz

Model: 8830
Carrier: SaskTel Mobility

love my torch...does everything i want it to...my only issue with it is that sirius has not got a torch version of their app yet...but I'm sure they will eventually
Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #59
tgaskill

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

How does the slider compare to the Palm Pre, or any of the Android sliders?
Old 12-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #60
AndyLee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Torch is great cuz I am able to connect with my friends that I haven't seen for 27 years.
After updating the OS to .377, it ran much smoother. Love it!!!
Closed Thread