Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
kensing65
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default Bold speaker volume low

Please Login to Remove!

I bought my Bold a couple of months ago and out of the box, the speakerphone worked pretty good. My OS is on version .266. I don't use the speakerphone alot but just recently I've noticed that the speakerphone volume is really low even on the highest setting. I've changed the Default Call Volume under the Phone Options to 100% but that hasn't helped it.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is there a fix for it?

Thanks...
Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
GatorDL55

PIN: N/A
Default Bold speaker volume low

I have the same problem with my Bold. I was searching Google today to see if I could find a solution. My speakerphone volume has definitely decreased over the past few months.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
kensing65
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have two co-workers who also have the BOLD and there is a significant difference in theirs vs mine. I called ATT and they are replacing the phone.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
ka7gzr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Mine had this issue of low volume including ringtones and speakerphone. I could increase the volume by squeezing the unit between the speaker on the back and the display (be careful not to damage the display!). I disassembled the unit and cleaned the two contacts on the speaker and the board and slightly bent out the two contacts to exert more pressure on the board. The speaker volume is now back to normal.
Poor design...
Jim
Old 07-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
kensing65
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7gzr View Post
Mine had this issue of low volume including ringtones and speakerphone. I could increase the volume by squeezing the unit between the speaker on the back and the display (be careful not to damage the display!). I disassembled the unit and cleaned the two contacts on the speaker and the board and slightly bent out the two contacts to exert more pressure on the board. The speaker volume is now back to normal.
Poor design...
Jim
Do you take the back off the phone quite a bit? I'm wondering if doing this frequently would have anything to do having to clean this like you did. I'm getting a replacement since the volume is almost nothing now even on loud profile. I was doing a battery pull often and removing the back.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
ka7gzr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensing65 View Post
Do you take the back off the phone quite a bit? I'm wondering if doing this frequently would have anything to do having to clean this like you did. I'm getting a replacement since the volume is almost nothing now even on loud profile. I was doing a battery pull often and removing the back.
I haven't taken my back off much (twice). I don't believe it's a dirt issue. I believe the contacts are losing pressure to the board over time- the impedance of the speaker effectively changes which results in the lower volume.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #7
gibbo1960

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
I haven't taken my back off much (twice). I don't believe it's a dirt issue. I believe the contacts are losing pressure to the board over time- the impedance of the speaker effectively changes which results in the lower volume.
How easy is it to take apart the bold. I have the same volume "squeeze " problem. I'm worried about the waranty. I sent my bold for repair, it was away for a month and came back with a note saying, "no repair required" (mr repair man, you're a numpty! ).
Old 07-02-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
ka7gzr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo1960 View Post
How easy is it to take apart the bold. I have the same volume "squeeze " problem. I'm worried about the waranty. I sent my bold for repair, it was away for a month and came back with a note saying, "no repair required" (mr repair man, you're a numpty! ).
Don't take the BB apart if you are within the warranty- make your carrier repair it! Getting to the speaker contacts will invalidate the warranty!
Old 07-02-2009, 04:50 AM   #9
mwooding

Model: 7100t
Carrier: vodaphone
Smile Bold Volume Issues

We had the same problem with multiple Bold's, I found a hit on a different forum which solved the problem by taking off the back cover, using my fingernail pushing down on the white plastic behind the flash, I then carefully folder 2 strips of paper and put them on either side of the flash and a rectangle in the middle of the battery. The cover now fits properly and the sound is back to full volume. My post count is too low to add a link to the forum post. I'll try and put it in a second post here else search on bold volume on supportforums.blackberry.com
Old 07-02-2009, 04:51 AM   #10
mwooding

Model: 7100t
Carrier: vodaphone

Herewith link to post for resolving Bold volume issue: Re: Blackberry Bold and Loudspeaker sound level problem - BlackBerry 9000 Series Smartphone - BlackBerry Bold - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
Old 07-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #11
gibbo1960

Carrier: Orange
Default Thanks

Quote:
Don't take the BB apart if you are within the warranty- make your carrier repair it! Getting to the speaker contacts will invalidate the warranty!
Many Thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
TEEH

Carrier: DIGITEL

Could you take a picture of the "fix" dit it work Ok.

Regards
Old 07-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
iGeek_FTW

Carrier: Mobily

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwooding View Post
We had the same problem with multiple Bold's, I found a hit on a different forum which solved the problem by taking off the back cover, using my fingernail pushing down on the white plastic behind the flash, I then carefully folder 2 strips of paper and put them on either side of the flash and a rectangle in the middle of the battery. The cover now fits properly and the sound is back to full volume. My post count is too low to add a link to the forum post. I'll try and put it in a second post here else search on bold volume on supportforums.blackberry.com
i did it! and it works perfectly as it was
Old 08-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #14
calkenneth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwooding View Post

Thanks for the suggestion about pushing down on the white plastic beneath the flash unit. That solved the problem I had with low volume too. Fantastic solution!

What is the paper for?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
TEEH

Angry Sound low and very bad

Again, I do not know waht to do with my loved Bold, sound comes and go sometimes perfect and sometimes bad without no reason, I have tried the compress method, the insert methos and still nothing seems to work, why sometimes the souynd is great and sometimes does not ? really do not know what to try next, why the guys from RIM do not tell us what the problem could be.

Anyone had sucess working in this problem ?

Regards,

Thor Hedderich,

Frustrated wiht my Bold sound.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
TEEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGeek_FTW View Post
i did it! and it works perfectly as it was
Please let me know exactly how you did it, I am frustrated with this matter on my Bold.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
TEEH

Default It worked

Hi just to let you know that I placed a small rectangle cardboard piece over the battery just below the flash and it seems to have eliminated the sound problem.
Will look how to perfect it, maybe gluing something in the back cover.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:14 AM   #18
poolmanouvre

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Loudspeaker problem!

Help!!

Hi, I have a 2 month old blackberry 8900. The loudspeaker does not work at all which means there is no ring tone, no alarm, and no message notification.

I have redloaded the O.S and changed profiles andd nothing has changed. I have also tried pulling the battery..I would rather fix the phone than wait for a replacement but I am beginning to think that the only solution is to replace the phone..

Can anyone help or if you have had this prob how did you fix it..

If I figure it out I will post how...

Thanks! Poolmanouvre
Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #19
kensing65
Thumbs Must Hurt

there have been earlier posts regarding opening up the back and pressing parts of the phone to get the speaker to work or to put paper over areas but I for one only had my phone for a short time and replaced it under warranty while I still could. My new Bold has not had the same trouble so far.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #20
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Optus

I don't know if this is the real solution, but just in case it is, I've cross posted to several forums.

I've had several Bolds with this problem at work now. Today someone came to me with the speaker not working at all. Taking the back off and pressing as described worked, but it would go off again as soon as I let go.

Then I noticed that all the screws were loose! Almost every screw holding the phone into its case was so loose that they were almost falling out. The screw with the warranty seal looks tight, and one screw was missing completely. I don't have the correct security bit for these screws, but a tiny flat bladed jeweller's screwdriver got them done up. The speaker now works perfectly.

This might be what is happening to them all - the screws are working loose, then we're just pressing it back in, and of course it eventually pops out again. Could everyone who has had this problem please check if the screws are coming loose?

If this is what's happening to all of them, then why? Bad design, or were they just not done up properly in the first place? It could also be that in this case the user had undone them, but I doubt it.

I'd be interested to see whether the problem recurs after people tighten them. If it does then it's a design problem, and a tiny drop of Loctite or something will keep them in.

I notice that the screws in my own Bold are still tight, and I've never had the problem.
Closed Thread