Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
estragon

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question problem activating e-mail - unlocked BB

Please Login to Remove!

I bought a reconditioned unlocked BB 8330 for my wife, and we immediately left town, so can't exchange it. Here's the problem:

When I run the e-mail set-up wizard, it gives me only two options: "I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server" and "I want to skip email setup." There appears to be no way to set up a regular Gmail account. When I select the enterprise server option, the next screen says: "Has your Blackberry Enterprise Server administrator provided you with an Enterprise Activation password?" Enter yes, and the next screen allows you to enter an email address and password - but a regular Gmail account and password are not accepted. And that's where the setup ends.

So... is this a dud phone that's been only partially unlocked - i.e. the phone but not the email function? Can I do anything to fix it? Find someone to reinstall the firmware? Help!

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

The 8330 is a CDMA device. It cannot be "unlocked". And it will not work on a GSM network such as AT&T.

Also, the lack of the Personal Email option is indicative of the BLACKBERRY Data Plan not being properly set up with the carrier.

Also, there's no such thing as a BlackBerry that's only "partially unlocked" so that's not the issue.

So, verify the model number of the device.

If it's actually an 8330 and you are actually on AT&T, then you need to get a different device.

If it's something other than an 8330, call AT&T and have them set up the proper data plan to get the email setup option.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
estragon

I was wrong - it's an 8320. In any case, it has T-Mobile graphics at start-up, and it works on a GSM network in Canada.

I initially thought the problem was a lack of data plan, which is why I didn't deal with it at home. But we did get AT&T's pay-as-you-go data plan, and nothing changed. I guess we'll go back to the AT&T store and double-check.

Meantime, anyone else have ideas?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Andi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

It must be a Blackberry Data Plan pay-as-you-go plan may have data but not necessarily Blackberry data
Old 10-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
estragon

Sorry, Andi, what does that mean? I'm an iPhone guy - BlackBerries are completely new to me. Dude at the AT&T store didn't mention anything about BB pay-as-you-go, and neither did our provider in Canada.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

There was a missing "," in that sentence.
It must be a Blackberry data plan , pay as you go plan may have data, but not blackberry data.

you need a Blackberry data plan from at&t

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

And AT&T does not currently support BlackBerry Data on pay as you go ... to my knowledge.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
estragon

Thanks for the help. In the end, AT&T told me that the Blackberry data plan was not available as pay-as-you-go. And then it took more than an hour at the store, and talking to no fewer than five AT&T employees - two at the store and three at two different call centres - to get a $20 refund. In the end, the store manager took a $20 bill out of the till and handed it to me.
Closed Thread