Old 02-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #21
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
EDGE average speed is 50-125 kbps, generally, the max is about 300 kbps since most towers are modified. The absolute max is 384 kbps, AFAIK.

You are correct on EVDO, max Rev 0 is 1.2 mbps and Rev A is about 2.4 mbps, I think.
i have gotten over 400 kbps on EDGE tethering. 200-400 is the average speeds (according to the network information i have). Granted over 400 is downhill, with the wind at your back. rev0 maxes at about 1.5, revA is just about 2.4 like you said.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

[QUOTE=CybaCowboy;837575]Wirelessly posted (RIM BlackBerry 8300 Curve: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/122)

You should move to Australia - our main service provider

Ok but who pays the air fare. And what about those Kangaroos, do they have BB's also. .

Last edited by tsac; 02-16-2008 at 03:09 PM..
Old 02-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #23
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
i have gotten over 400 kbps on EDGE tethering. 200-400 is the average speeds (according to the network information i have). Granted over 400 is downhill, with the wind at your back. rev0 maxes at about 1.5, revA is just about 2.4 like you said.
I really question the 400 reading. Everything I have read and heard says absolute max is 384. Close to 400, but not quite. I don't think many of the speed tests are not very reliable for cells either, especially if a proxy server is involved.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #24
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
I really question the 400 reading. Everything I have read and heard says absolute max is 384. Close to 400, but not quite. I don't think many of the speed tests are not very reliable for cells either, especially if a proxy server is involved.
this was a tethered speed test at speakeasy.net. Theoretical max is over 473kbps from all the numbers i have seen from AT&T. Not sure if this was just an error on the speedtest side or not.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #25
CybaCowboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 21445DCA
Carrier: Telstra Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
Good point (sarcasm noted!). Unless you tether, I'm not sure there are a lot of advantages. My email comes instantly, texts close to instant, my battery life is great, and the web pages I visit download within seconds. I'm not saying there aren't some specific, individualized tasks that could benefit from 3g, just that most people think it can provide more than it can.
Web browsing will be notcibly faster on 3G/3.5G/UMTS/WCDMA/WCDMA with HSDPA, but you won't notice much difference with anything else unless you're "tethered" to a computer - interestingly, e-mail may actually be (slightly) slower though, due to technical reasons (they say the fact that it's gotta re-assemble the data packets at your end could slow things down)!

Another big use for 3G/3.5G/UMTS/WCDMA/WCDMA with HSDPA over here is video-calling (like in the movies), digital music (like the iTunes Music Store, on your phone) and other multimedia (eg. mobile TV, etc...), though as you pointed out, you will take quite a big hit on usage times by making the switch to the newer technologies.

Quote:
384KB/s is the maximum not 400KB/s, though keep in mind that this is the "theoretical" maximum speed supported by EDGE... It's unlikely you'll ever get these speeds in practice though.

I didn't read through it, but Wikipedia seems to have quite a good little article on EDGE...
Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[QUOTE=tsac;837946]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
Wirelessly posted (RIM BlackBerry 8300 Curve: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/122)

You should move to Australia - our main service provider
Quote:

And what about those Kangaroos, do they have BB's also. .
Absolutely!

Didn't you ever watch "Behind the scenes with Skippy?" You would've seen Skippy on his BlackBerry during the breaks!

lol
Old 02-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #26
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Maybe that's my problem, i've been facing the PC into the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
tsac][/B]Ok but who pays the air fare. And what about those Kangaroos, do they have BB's also. .
I'm sure every good Kangaroo has at least one in their pouch...
Old 02-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #27
southwestcomm

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

tether, smether....the device and processor won't be able to handle that speed.

The only way to take advantage of these future speeds is with a modem or card. BB's and other phones won't experience the benefits. Battery life will suffer as well.

Quote:
Good point (sarcasm noted!). Unless you tether, I'm not sure there are a lot of advantages. My email comes instantly, texts close to instant, my battery life is great, and the web pages I visit download within seconds. I'm not saying there aren't some specific, individualized tasks that could benefit from 3g, just that most people think it can provide more than it can.

Last edited by southwestcomm; 02-16-2008 at 08:09 PM..
Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #28
tgeekb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2448FC02

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm View Post

The only way to take advantage of these future speeds is with a modem or card. BB's and other phones won't experience the benefits. Battery life will suffer as well.
Battery life and processors will improve. Whether they will improve enough to handle the future technology is yet to be seen.

That is why Blackberry is what it is, and it does it well.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #29
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Battery life and processors will improve. Whether they will improve enough to handle the future technology is yet to be seen.

That is why Blackberry is what it is, and it does it well.
500mhz processor running 98se can get a speed test of over 15mbps on a good connection with no issues. processor isnt necessarily the bottleneck. *fast* PDAs have processors in the 600mhz and higher range. its when you start loading graphics and video that the processor gets crushed

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-16-2008 at 09:14 PM..
Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 AM   #30
CybaCowboy

PIN: 21445DCA
Carrier: Telstra Australia

Wirelessly posted (RIM BlackBerry 8300 Curve: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/122)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm

Quote:
Whilst this is mostly true, there ARE exceptions...

Most of the newer Microsoft Windows Mobile devices from HTC and Palm can benefit from the faster speeds, though they usually struggle to achieve anything faster than about 1.5MB/s - it's the exact same problem you would have if you were asking the Internet via a high-speed Wi-Fi connection.

Certain other handsets (particularly those from Samsung) also support the faster 3.5G/UMTS/WCDMA with HSDPA data speeds, though as I understand it, they also struggle to achieve anything higher than about 1.5MB/s (apparently they are a small improvement though)...
Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 AM   #31
SpeedFreak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
That's why I noted TMO is my carrier. I've never used EVDO so can't vouch for it.

I will also say when teathering on EDGE my computer runs slower than dial up. If EVDO is similar then it's really a non issue, it works ok on the device but nothing to argue about.
Verzion EVDO is 3G. I spent some type evaluating the iPhone from AT&T and the BB from Verizon. The iPhone is a much better multimedia/surfing device then the BB but the EDGE network speed doesn't measure up and the iPhone is still too buggy. If they work out the kinks and release a more solid iPhone I'm sorry to say I will be tempted to switch.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #32
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
500mhz processor running 98se can get a speed test of over 15mbps on a good connection with no issues. processor isnt necessarily the bottleneck. *fast* PDAs have processors in the 600mhz and higher range. its when you start loading graphics and video that the processor gets crushed
15 mbps huh? I think you mean 1.5 mbps?
Old 02-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #33
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak View Post
Verzion EVDO is 3G. I spent some type evaluating the iPhone from AT&T and the BB from Verizon. The iPhone is a much better multimedia/surfing device then the BB but the EDGE network speed doesn't measure up and the iPhone is still too buggy. If they work out the kinks and release a more solid iPhone I'm sorry to say I will be tempted to switch.
A guy at the job has a new model iPhone and says all the bugs are fixed. I like the touch screen except when it comes to typing. I like the screen orients itself to how you view it. You are right, it is tempting.

How does the iPhone get email and does it sync contacts, calander etc...?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #34
BBbuddy

Model: 9520
Carrier: T-Mobile & ePlus

Ok, don't laugh guys... Until now I only have the possibility to compare gprs and edge.

In germany only T-mobile offers nationwide edge -vodafone in region where they don't give you 3g. In past under Vodafone i didn't see a great acceleration with edge, ok it was a bit but not worth mentioning.

The next step is 3G and with the the idea of RIM to keep every data as small as possible in the mobile-net what advantage 3G and the coming stuff give you on a blackberry?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #35
maxsquared
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile UK

Quote:

You should move to Australia - our main service provider (Telstra) currently offers 3.5G/UMTS/WCDMA with HSDPA data speeds on their "NextG" network up to 14.4MB/s, with plans to increase this to 21MB/s by the end of the year!

To put this into perspective for you, 14.4MB/s is the same speed as what ADSL 2 can theoretically reach here, and 21MB/s is slightly faster than what cable is in most areas (Sydney & Melbourne can reach slightly faster cable speeds)...

Now all we need is a BlackBerry device that can reach these speeds, or at least something faster than EDGE!
Wait a minute, are you sure it's MB and not Mb? If it's MB, that's like 8 times faster than ADSL2+
Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #36
cruzer3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT
Default EDGE vs 3G

The IPhone is only 2G the 3G model is not out yet. All the CDMA phones are EVDO and running at 3G speed. There is development for the next generations of 3G for CDMA which would be EVDO Rev B and also Ultra Mobile Boradband (UMB) before jumping to Long Term Evolution (LTE) which is 4G.

The GSM and UMTS carriers are behind in the speed game but when moving to 4G they do not have to change as much in the network as the CDMA carriers will have to do.

There is EVDO Rev 0 and EVDO Rev A out on the Sprint and Verizon networks.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:40 AM   #37
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Edge vs evdo surfing downloading I notice a difference evdo is faster. As for speeds a bb is flash rom or w/e it can easily take any speed evdo atm seems faster but when you compare 3 seconds vs 5 does it really matter? Only thing that would get affected is downloads / uploads etc surfing might be faster so instead of going to 50 websites an hour you can only do 40-45.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:14 AM   #38
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

There have been data tests on 4.5 or 5g networks that reach several GB/sec data transfers on mobile devices. granted, these technologies are still quite some time away from being able to be used in a cellular arena, but still nice to think about.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:52 AM   #39
crossbones
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2525A4A3
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

one thing I'd like to poinit out, and im nit picking but it can clear some things up for some people, but the term "3g" just means third generation. It refers to UMTS, HSDPA, EVDO etc.

They are all currently crap bacause there is all this technology and apart from tethering as a modem, no real applicatin for the technology.

On our network, people want more features, but then complain the phone is too big. You can't win. I do wish my 8310 was 3g though as I do use the browsing on it quite often, and my 8707 is much faster.

EDGE is crap btw, none of the UK networks have bothered with it because the speed difference is so little its not worth the investment.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:19 AM   #40
BBbuddy

Model: 9520
Carrier: T-Mobile & ePlus

@ crossbones

So the 8707 gives you really a speed-up. I think about to purchase one, but not sure if it's worthwhile. Like you mentioned it, there's no other UMTS-BB.
What about the battery-life and is it possible to turn UMTS of?
Closed Thread