BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Ashling

Model: 8700
Default 8800 GPS Maps UK

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone successfully got the maps (BBMaps or Google Maps) to work for UK/Ireland coverage?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
saldous
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

We are just about to buy an 8800 for a new employee in our UK office. Does it not come with UK maps then?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
zentient
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Available, but possibly not pre-installed

I can't answer the original question yet (still waiting for my 8800), but elsewhere in these forums (or the pinstack ones here) I've seen it mentioned that some 8800's don't come with BB maps pre-installed and you have to do it yourself. GPS is built-in, though.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
goresci

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone UK

havn't got it working, can't get pick up any satilites for GPS, love the device, but this hasn't helped, lots of indications that wi-fi was enabled on it to which would have been nice, however another way for vodafone to make some money by denying wi-fi, (they probably havn't) but it could have easily been included.
GroupWise
Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
jaysee

Carrier: O2
Default How to get BBmaps to work on the 8800 (Vodafone & O2)

Yes, BBmaps and google maps both work in the UK. It was a real pain in the butt to set up. I'm on o2 and my colleague is on vodafone and we both had the same problem. The following instructions should help you out.

Try this:

1. Add carrier WAP settings. Go to ‘Options > Advanced Options > TCP’

For Vodafone:
APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk
Username: wap
Pwd: wap

For o2:
APN: wap.o2.co.uk (Pay Monthly)
Username: o2wap (Pay Monthly)
Password: password

Now go outside and start your GPS. It should lock into the satellites and your maps will appear. If they don't, go to step 2.

2. Re-install device software and edit LBS.alx file. Do this if the above (1) does not work. See the post by stinsonddog at the top of the GPS section for instructions.

Device software for O2 8800 is available on one of the threads. Unfort I can't post it because I need to make 10 or more posts. This link is impossible to find on their website and not where it should be with the other devices.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
saldous
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks jaysee, so was it worth the effort to get working the UK maps? How good is the navigation?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
jaysee

Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldous
Thanks jaysee, so was it worth the effort to get working the UK maps? How good is the navigation?
No probs. I'm just hoping to save others from the pain I went through to get it working. It's actually a pretty cool feature but I haven't really tested it out properly to be fair. I'm waiting for the Garmin or tom-tom like app in order to make it a proper in-car navigation tool.

Let me know if you have a problems setting it up and I'll try to see what I can do to help. Customer support for both O2 and Vodafone are useless, but understandably so to some degree since this product is very new and quite complicated.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:08 AM   #8
goresci

Carrier: Vodafone UK

nice one sorted, not a big fan of the maps, but the sat nav works a treat.
GroupWise
Old 03-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
beattie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goresci
nice one sorted, not a big fan of the maps, but the sat nav works a treat.
How did you get it working? - I've just got an 8800 on vodafone and have tried various things on the forums but still can't get any maps, help!

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-25-2007, 04:20 AM   #10
zentient

Smile BBM & GMM both working on 8800 in UK

FWIW, both the Blackberry "Maps" (BBM) application and Google Mobile Maps (GMM) are now working on my 8800. Although it doesn't help those of you with issues, both worked almost seamlessly and without effort, almost:

(1) BBM was pre-installed on my 8800 when it came out of the box from T-Mobile UK. I did have to click "Start GPS" in BBM for the GPS location indicators in the BB (system) Options>Advanced Options>GPS settings to pick up my location (by clicking "Refresh GPS"). Otherwise it works very well. Infrequently, it might be a challenge for driving if your GPRS download speeds suffers a dip, but mostly it is imminently useable! :D

(2) GMM downloaded OTA from their site (select the USA/etc. version, it's just fine). When first starting it, the "Terms and Conditions" wouldn't load and the program quit. The error was something like "Network Unavailable". However, Google's instruction >here< fixed that beautifully! It now works as well as it should (although no GPS ability is built in GMM for BB yet.) Another: :D

Last edited by zentient; 03-25-2007 at 04:48 AM..
Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile UK
Default UK maps for 8800

To Sentient, you said BBM was pre-installed by T-Mobile UK. I'm with TM-Uk and I didn't know they did the 8800. I bought one unlocked (ex-O2) and I've got it working fine with my TM-UK set up - except maps and GPS of course!.

The GPS bit works - the GPS can see 7 satellites and knows my lat/long. But when it tracks my position on screen, the screen is blank (diagonal lines which apparently means downloading). I downloaded BB Maps from their website and it seemed to work but still the same blank screen.

It's as if I am missing UK maps. Any clues?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #12
beattie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierian
The GPS bit works - the GPS can see 7 satellites and knows my lat/long. But when it tracks my position on screen, the screen is blank (diagonal lines which apparently means downloading). I downloaded BB Maps from their website and it seemed to work but still the same blank screen.

It's as if I am missing UK maps. Any clues?
My symptoms exactly but I'm with Voda UK, I suspect the people that have got it sorted have no reason to look at this thread again! Hopefully someone in the know will help!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #13
neilsky

Default And me.

I have followed all of the instructions - Re-install device software and edit LBS.alx file. Downloaded BBM and successfully installed it.

I can find the satellites and reseting my GPS finds my location long/latitude but the map will not appear - just those black lines.

I'm with T-Mobile UK and they are no help as of yet. They have escalated the problem to Blackberry and I'm waiting for an answer.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #14
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default 8800 Maps for UK

What is Blackberry Maps supposed to actually DO?? I downloaded it from the BB website onto my BB 8700 (which of course has no GPS). It behaves just like BB Maps on the 8800 - no maps at all, regardless of the address I put in. I even made a dummy address book entry with a genuine USA address. When I select that entry and "view workplace map" I just get the usual blank screen.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #15
zentient

Default 8800 and BBM still working in UK

I'm not sure I can help, but I can confirm my BBM was and is still fully working. I'm no expert, but here are the things I can think of that you might check (including the obvious ones you've probably all tried, but better thorough than not):
xxx8226; In the BBM menu, you've clicked "Start GPS"
xxx8226; In Options> Advanced Options> GPS> [menu], you've clicked "Refresh GPS"
xxx8226; In Options> Advanced Options> TCP> you've entered the APN settings appropriate to your carrier (see elsewhere in this forum for settings); eg. for T-Mobile UK it's APN: general.t-mobile.uk | username for APN: user | password for APN: mms
xxx8226; You've resent your service books and reregistered on the network (via menu under HRT in Options)

Other thoughts on why it might not work (just brainstorming here):
xxx8226; It may be that depending on your data plan, this type of data or access is blocked?
xxx8226; I'm a T-Mobile business user, perhaps it's limited to business users?
xxx8226; Maybe your GPRS download speed for the map data is too slow or out of range and it times out? Note that I get regions with regular lines in areas where the map data is still being downloaded; these are eventually replaced by map images.
xxx8226; FWIW, the app is listed as "Blackberry Maps" version 1.1.2.7 under Options> Advanced Options> Applications

I can't think of anything else to check at the moment; Good luck.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #16
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default UK Maps on 8800 / T-mobile PROBLEM SOLVED

I suspect my experience is what Zentient is describing. I called t-mobile tech support who were very helpful (ie willing AND knowledgeable). They gave the same APN information as Zentient (general.t-mobile.uk) but said I probably would not need a user name and p/w.

In fact I never did anything with the APN. What fixed it was they sent a new service book entry to my BB - "IPPP for BIS-B[IPPP]" Mapping immediately started working.

I now have BB Maps working (which is free) and also Wayfinder (99 euros or dollars, can't remember which). Wayfinder looks much better (3D directions for example) and it has a 5 day free trial.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #17
neilsky

Default Nice One Spierian

Just got T-Mobile tech support to download that service book entry and now it works a treat - cheers Mate!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #18
mas999

Model: 9800
Carrier: 3
Default 8800 BB Maps on Vodafone

Hi

I'm on Vodafone UK with an 8800 and the latest software download from theBlackberry web site and got the BB mapsworking by changing the APN to internet, that did the trick

I am in Northern Ireland

MARK
Old 03-31-2007, 03:40 AM   #19
beattie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas999
Hi

I'm on Vodafone UK with an 8800 and the latest software download from theBlackberry web site and got the BB mapsworking by changing the APN to internet, that did the trick

I am in Northern Ireland

MARK
I've downloaded the latest updates + changed the APN as per another thread to wap.vodafone.co.uk and User/Password both to wap, is that what you've used?

Maybe I should keep on trying then!
Old 04-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
mas999

Model: 9800
Carrier: 3
Default maps

Hi

change the APN field to : internet

and leave the other 2 fields blank

hopefully that should work for you

Mark