BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
phxlibra

Model: 8100
Default Have new 8100 without data plan. Can I use bluetooth to access internet?

Please Login to Remove!

Just got my new blackberry with data plan as I really don't need access to email service. I just wanted the black berry for its features, pda functionality, messaging.
Now I just wanted to know if I can use bluetooth or teether it to the laptop to access the internet without paying for it.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
nigletsyz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

you just stated you don't have a data plan. so how do you expect to have access to data?
Bluetooth is just a wireless signal between your phone and your computer (or some other bluetooth-enabled device) Using bluetooth to "access" the internet is just a way of having your phone/Blackberry act as a wireless modem for your computer. Your phone will need a data plan to be of any use as a wireless modem. So the answer is no.

Last edited by nigletsyz; 10-27-2006 at 12:31 PM..
Old 10-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
rlibson
Thumbs Must Hurt

short answer....no
Old 10-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxlibra
Just got my new blackberry with data plan as I really don't need access to email service. I just wanted the black berry for its features, pda functionality, messaging.
Now I just wanted to know if I can use bluetooth or teether it to the laptop to access the internet without paying for it.
I am not aware of any application on the Pearl that lets you access the Net via BlueTooth.

The Pearl is NOT like other PDA's that have Windows Mobile installed, for example. As you know, PDA's with Windows Mobile or Pocket PC have an Internet Explorer icon that you press to access the Net. But, to connect on the PDA you need BlueTooth or a USB connection to tether into your desktop's or notebook's online or network connection. The PDA does not have online access itself.

The Pearl also does NOT have wifi capability, so you cannot access the Net in this manner either. [no wifi was probably a move by RIM and T-Mo to stimulate sales of data plans].

So Net access without a data plan is out of the picture for you.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I don't understand why people do this.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #6
somebody7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile

Id be curious to know (with the 8800) if you would be able to tether thru bluetooth and use wifi instead of the data to access the internet.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
ivada
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody7
Id be curious to know (with the 8800) if you would be able to tether thru bluetooth and use wifi instead of the data to access the internet.
I'm pretty sure it can be done - I did this years ago with a e740 PDA and a laptop. However, if WiFi is available why would you want to tether and slow down the access speed using Bluetooth and not access the WiFi directly (assuming the laptop has a WiFi antenna)??
Old 10-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Quote:

I don't think that's possible with the Pearl.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
I don't understand why people do this.
I don't question it anymore, last time I did, some people got a little butthurt.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
somebody7

Carrier: Tmobile

I think Im going retarded. I didnt see what I typed until you asked that question. I make no sense whatsoever. ---retract please =)
Old 10-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
ivada
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody7
I think Im going retarded. I didnt see what I typed until you asked that question. I make no sense whatsoever. ---retract please =)
Don't worry about it ...
I tried it a looong time ago just as an experiment! Well what can I say, I'm a geek!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrcncp
I don't question it anymore, last time I did, some people got a little butthurt.
That happens sometimes...

I had to take a several month break from posting here because I was very angry with the posts I was seeing from new members who didn't search and what not. I'm doing much better at ignoring it now.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #13
phxlibra

The reason I ask this is because if you have verizon and not the internet plan, you can still tether your phone to the laptop and access the internet without incurring any charges. It may not be legal but people do it all the time. I just wondered if it was possible with the pearl.

To those who thought my question was stupid and I did not use the search feature. I would say that you have too much time to get pissed and then read the thread and then respond. why respond if you don't like the post, just move on..bud...
Old 10-28-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
srotman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
The reason I ask this is because if you have verizon and not the internet plan, you can still tether your phone to the laptop and access the internet without incurring any charges. It may not be legal but people do it all the time. I just wondered if it was possible with the pearl.

To those who thought my question was stupid and I did not use the search feature. I would say that you have too much time to get pissed and then read the thread and then respond. why respond if you don't like the post, just move on..bud...
i really dont think youre grasping a certain concept here. tethering your BB to your laptop only creates a connection between the two so you can share resources in both directions. so, in the case that you're speaking of, you want to surf the net via your laptop, BUT use the cellular network your BB is connected to. therefore, your BB... wait for it.... wait for it.... HAS TO USE DATA! now, this DOESNT mean you have to have a data plan, as many carriers will let you surf without them BUT you will be charged a "pay as you go" rate for your data usage which is considerably more expensive.

so, when you say CAN you surf without a data plan? i say yes! BUT can you surf over your BB for free? no! with OR without a data plan, your BB "HAS TO USE DATA!" where do you think the webpages, etc. come from when you surf!?

and you said how people tether on verizon. "it may not be legal..."??? of course its legal! please dont think verizon doesnt know the user isnt using the data. their network has to provide the data to the BB in order for it to make its way to either the screen on your BB or through BT to your laptop.

anywho. im done my rambling. i just think that had to be said. so internet via the BB, either on it or through a tethered device (i.e. laptop), has to get data from somewhere. so it obviously comes from the mobile carrier. and they charge however they want. because either way, they see the same type of data activity on their end.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #15
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
I suppose if you had unlimited minutes you could work it out somehow. ?? since there is no data plan, you can have a true dialup connection. set up the pearl to dial in to your ISP. nights and weekends?
Old 10-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #16
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
That happens sometimes...

I had to take a several month break from posting here because I was very angry with the posts I was seeing from new members who didn't search and what not. I'm doing much better at ignoring it now.
I just don't understand why it is so hard to do a simple search.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #17
baltee

Model: All
PIN: ..
Carrier: Rogers
Default Tethered Browsing

Contrary to what others are replying here, the answer is yes, you can surf the net with a tethered blackberry, if you have access to a Blackberry Enterprise Server, be it the Express, SBE or Full Version. This is done via usb or Bluetooth connection to the desktop router, with it's connection back to the BES. Surfing broadband speeds on the blackberry via this method is quite a kick and works extremely well!! (Not to mention the cost savings for those with minimum data plans). I set this up somewhat regularly for clients to use, so it is well tested and can amount to good cost savings.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #18
phxlibra

Of course I know that data is being used and it is data that is exchanged over the airwaves. I was just wondering if there was a way to surf free like people do on the verizon network without paying for it and without having a internet plan or data plan so to speak.
Enough said. Hopefully end of this thread.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:26 PM   #19
baltee

Model: All
PIN: ..
Carrier: Rogers

?? Yes, the process I mentioned in my previous post, can be done without having a data plan. Cheers.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:04 AM   #20
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Don't get an attitude tiger.

We're responding to your post to inform you that there is a search feature that should be used before creating new topics. You've only made three posts in this community, so it is painfully obvious that you don't know how forums work.