Old 09-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #81
thought
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
From an earlier post, post #69:RIMM has traded WITH the Nasdaq, it is not under performing nor out performing.

From post #83:
Statistically, RIMM, and many other market leading technology stocks, greatly outperform the nasdaq during market up moves and under perform the market on down moves. Percentages are really not relevant here as most time the nasdaq moves one percent, RIMM, GOOG, SNDK and others move 2, 3, and sometimes four times that... So again, RIMM has not done something that it has not done previously during a market up move.

That's all...
With all due respect...you contradict yourself...
As seen in your quotes above, you clearly first asserted that RIMM did not outperform the market. Now, having been proven incorrect, you state that RIMM did outperform the NASDAQ, but both moved up, so it's no big deal.

That's a big change in what you wrote. If you are managing a hedge fund, I surely would want you to know the difference.

Why is it so hard to believe that rumors can move the value of a stock? Information is what moves markets.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #82
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought
With all due respect...you contradict yourself...
As seen in your quotes above, you clearly first asserted that RIMM did not outperform the market. Now, having been proven incorrect, you state that RIMM did outperform the NASDAQ, but both moved up, so it's no big deal.

That's a big change in what you wrote. If you are managing a hedge fund, I surely would want you to know the difference.

Why is it so hard to believe that rumors can move the value of a stock? Information is what moves markets.

WOW!! A major market stock outperforming it's respective market is now commonplace. Because it is now commonplace, it is no longer considered to be outperforming. I am not going to get into schooling you on the beta of a security. Fact is the beta of RIMM is almost 3, which means it is EXPECTED, and NORMAL for it to move 3x that of the nasdaq when it moves up or down.

I think I have proven my point. The fact the a chart posted previously show RIMM moving up nearly 30% in a period of time and the Nasdaq moving about 10% in said period SHOUTS in agreement with my point.

Have a nice day.....
Old 09-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #83
BBAdmin

Model: .
Carrier: .

I think the bigger picture here is whether or not leaking information to the public domain has a positive or negative impact on the companys share price. Has the share price risen at the time when BG leaked information on recent devices - YES. Do I believe the rise in share prices is due to leaks from BG - NO, not at all.

Traditionally the suits on Wall Street like to know what's going on with companies. When they are taken by surprise due to a leak (even if that leak spells positives for the company involved) it will generally result in the stock exchange not taking well to it and causes a little unrest.

Clearly this is something to which different people will have a different opinion based on their experience in the markets - I don't mind saying I have very little experience so most of what I write on this topic is assumption.

On the other side of things, being a techie I love to hear about what's coming next, and like the rest of us I get excited by the assumed specs (no matter how wide of the mark they are) and the grainy early pictures of a beta device! At the same time I get frustrated when I compare what I used to see at a RIM hosted event a year ago to what they are willing to show at RIM events now. Serious leaks have led to them becoming very paranoid, and in fact at the last RIM event I went to last month they only went as far as giving us specifications, no pictures or beta devices to hand around as would normally have been the case - so there are clearly advantages and disadvantages in all areas to leaking information.

Old 09-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #84
thought
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
WOW!! A major market stock outperforming it's respective market is now commonplace. Because it is now commonplace, it is no longer considered to be outperforming. I am not going to get into schooling you on the beta of a security. Fact is the beta of RIMM is almost 3, which means it is EXPECTED, and NORMAL for it to move 3x that of the nasdaq when it moves up or down.

I think I have proven my point. The fact the a chart posted previously show RIMM moving up nearly 30% in a period of time and the Nasdaq moving about 10% in said period SHOUTS in agreement with my point.

Have a nice day.....
I would guess then, that you believe that there are no individual factors that can move a stock, outside of it shadowing in various mulitples the moves of the general market.

Aside from that, your position puts you at odds with what was written in the Wall Street Journal, CBS MarketWatch, and The Globe and Mail, among other publications.

I agree with BB Admin: I believe the rumors had significant impact, but were not the only factor. However, for you to dismiss the impact of the rumors at all, seems rather unreasonable.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:43 PM   #85
KlarUlz

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirish2001
I saw that and I don't believe it for a second. It makes no sense whatsoever. The source was a T-Mobile retail employee who I'm sure is very confused.

T-Mobile has dug their feet in and promised to *always* have a full and partial keyboard BlackBerry as long as RIM keeps making them. The 8700 will be going out in Dec/Jan... when the 8800 comes out to replace it ;)
Old 09-17-2006, 08:31 PM   #86
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

TheyT-Mobile is releasing the HTC Excalibur in a month or so. That's qwerty.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:10 AM   #87
BBAdmin

Model: .
Carrier: .

Quote:
The 8700 will be going out in Dec/Jan... when the 8800 comes out to replace it
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding where the 8800 will sit in the BlackBerry range. It will run alondside the 8700, not replace it. RIM intend to keep making the 8700 for another year yet - think about it, when compared to the life span of other models the 8700 has not been out that long.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #88
tmojay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: T

pictures are up on engadget
Old 09-23-2006, 11:14 PM   #89
thought
Thumbs Must Hurt

Check out this other thread on blackberryforums for the full scoop:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rumo...es-inside.html
Old 09-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #90
The Truth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postalrecon
Amen to that, canon is the best
Halleluja!

I was thinking the same thing. Plus the pearl's camera is horrible.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:33 AM   #91
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
GSM/GPRS/EDGE - Quad-Band
I have a SERIOUS problem with this.

Rogers is to debut UMTS & HSDPA on BOTH 850+1900Mhz bands nationwide in Canada ... well mostly all major cities & capitals across. Cingular SHOULD've had it LONG by now. Less ppl per capita & less existing clients under contractual agreement (consumer or corps/business') and after 2+yrs of UMTS development is sad. Cingular still should have theirs by end of January 2007. It would be incredible, maybe not crucial, for RIMM to step up the game and lay done the ramparts to ship with HSDPA. Then again cost may be a factor to limit it.

> Hey if its 802.11b/g (hopefully "n" draft :D ) this would be incredible.

> MOST notably .... will the WiFi support SIP/PBX based VoIP? This would EFFECTIVELY replace the 7270!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:51 AM   #92
rjharary
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South

[QUOTE=Jagga] Cingular SHOULD've had it LONG by now. Less ppl per capita & less existing clients under contractual agreement (consumer or corps/business') and after 2+yrs of UMTS development is sad. QUOTE]

You couldn't have said it better.

How does HSDPA on Cingular compare with EVDO?
(Think moto q vs. samsung i607)
Old 10-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #93
Rubicant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I dunno where BG gets his info...but think about it..how many times has he been right about this?
7100, 8700, 8100, now the 8800?
I dont know who his sources are, but they're highly placed and can skirt around NDAs...which means they're either RIM insiders in PR..or RIM designers.

BG has DEFINITELY got the hook up somewhere. note the fact that these device pics are unbranded...likely RIM designers/pr

That said...I doubt he'll be faced with the wrath of RIM..as if he were, this forum would have gotten a C&D letter, been forced to take down the pics and asked not to mention anything about BBs in development.

Remember folks..we have members who work for RIM. Everyone that I've spoken to on the marketing team that does the events is familiar with this site.

That said..Keep up the good work BG! When is RIM going to integrate AIs into thier blackberry units and start something like the UMN from Xenosaga? (The new UNP Blackberry, capable of intergalactic calling...All from Vector Industries and Blackberry.)

Blackberry: Canadian for flashlight. (Its a joke...I often find myself using my BB as a flashlight.)
Old 10-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #94
sroetter
Thumbs Must Hurt

I remember last year when the 8700 came out, BG was asked by RIM to remove some photos and information. I believe he alluded to lawyers and such. RIM apparently has some influence over him, or he would not have removed that information. Given that, I assume that his "leakage" is either approved by RIM, fed by RIM, or the results were so positive that RIM decided to let him run with it. I cannot imagine they let him run with it without some boundaries though.

That said, his information has always been rock solid and I look for his posts.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #95
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroetter
I remember last year when the 8700 came out, BG was asked by RIM to remove some photos and information. I believe he alluded to lawyers and such. RIM apparently has some influence over him, or he would not have removed that information. Given that, I assume that his "leakage" is either approved by RIM, fed by RIM, or the results were so positive that RIM decided to let him run with it. I cannot imagine they let him run with it without some boundaries though.

That said, his information has always been rock solid and I look for his posts.
Completely incorrect. That was Corey. I have never been asked by anyone at RIM to remove any pictures, or information. The information I provide is hard-earned. RIM is not happy about it, but in the end what can they do? I am a journalist, I don't break any NDA's or make other people brake NDA's.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #96
sroetter
Thumbs Must Hurt

My mistake. I was sure it was you, but it wouldn't be the first thing I was wrong about.........today. LOL
Old 10-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #97
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

BG, it doesn't matter who your sources are, keep up the great work! I love reading your stuff.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #98
bbmember
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Genius
Completely incorrect. That was Corey. I have never been asked by anyone at RIM to remove any pictures, or information. The information I provide is hard-earned. RIM is not happy about it, but in the end what can they do? I am a journalist, I don't break any NDA's or make other people brake NDA's.
Obviously you are not posting these images with any malicious intent, and maybe doing it just for having fun or feeling cool or for some financial benefit. But I don't think you are doing any company a favor by posting pictures of their products before they are officially announced.

Since you are soo popular here, I might get flamed for saying this, but the point I wanted to make is not to pick a fight with you, but rather get my point of view across to you on this topic.

Last edited by bbmember; 10-05-2006 at 12:35 PM..
Old 10-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #99
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

That's your opinon and I appreciate you being civil about it. I don't completely disagree with you that i'm not doing anyone any "favors" but they have to realize that we live in a completely new era where people are literally going crazy for information on new products and technology. I am simply providing what I can to the public. Would you like to know whats in the pipeline for a company or rather wait for the "official" release date? If a company makes solid products, then all leaks will do is hype up the product until release date increasing sales. How would you know about the Pearl if it wasn't leaked? You would wait until September 6th, have had no user reviews and opinions, and would have been a pioneer. I would think most people would like to know that information before they went out and spent $400 on something. That's my feeling atleast. You make a crappy product, no amount of hype, or marketing is going to make that product sell.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 10-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #100
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

FWIW, I, for one, am a fan, BG. Keep up the good work.
Closed Thread