Old 03-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #41
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimpson
.... In Q4,Rogers will be picking up an hsdpa blackberry unit the (9XXX series)....
nsimpson: how do u know this for sure? u working for rim or roger? and how do u know the model will be 9XXX series? and would this be a full qwerty keyboard? and would u have a pix of it by any chance?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #42
netwiz01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 32B21BE5
Carrier: Sprint, Power up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance
Well, the web browsing experience is great IMHO, but then again, I've learned how to use the Internet Browser's settings and options to maximum effect, so that I get the best browsing experience possible.

But there are 2 much more important benefits that will come from having an HSDPA/UMTS-equipped :
  1. The ability to use your 3G as a tethered modem for a laptop or PC, to get true broadband speed wirelessly!
  2. The ability to use voice and data SIMULTANEOUSLY! One of the biggest problems with EDGE and EV-DO s is that data use blocks incoming phone calls. So, if you're tethering the to your computer and doing a large download, someone trying to call you will go straight to voice mail. This could be a problem if you're needing to receive an important call. But with HSDPA/UMTS, this limitation is finally supposed to go away.
It's because of those 2 reasons that I can't wait to get my hands on a GSM 3G ! Too bad RIM still hasn't released one for Cingular/at&t. The ability to buy the rumored 3G 8710 might have caused me to choose Cingular/at&t as my new carrier, rather than T-Mobile. But Cingular/at&t and RIM have dragged their feet for far too long in regards to bringing such a to the States.

I have sprint 8703e and when I am using the phone as a modem calls come through. My data surfing or d/l stops until the call is completed. Once the call is completed the phone switches back over to modem functionality.
No user action required.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:38 PM   #43
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandbb
Huh never happened to me.

I tether with an 8700c all the time. Connection is paused until i end my call.

But tethering, along with the possibilities of using my slingbox on the bb are the main reasons I would like a 3g bb asap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpugh
Same with my Verizon 8703e... it stops my data, and takes the call.

But the ability to do both simultaneously would be incredible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Same with my Cingular 8700c & 7130c... it stops my data, and takes the call.

However the problem I have when it picks up the call, is it shuts off the ignition system so my car dies and I'm forced to pull over to take the call.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
If on an EV-DO system at the time, isn't your data session resumed once you end your call?
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwiz01
I have sprint 8703e and when I am using the phone as a modem calls come through. My data surfing or d/l stops until the call is completed. Once the call is completed the phone switches back over to modem functionality.
No user action required.
Apparently, most of you failed to fully grasp the point I was trying to make, probably because I didn't explain it well enough.

So, I'll attempt to clarify. First off, there are times that I do NOT want a phone call to interrupt my data session! For example, if I'm using the as a tethered modem and I'm downloading a large file I need for my computer, I do NOT want that download interrupted by someone calling me! I want them to go directly to voicemail, so I can continue downloading! But then again, I suppose my opinion is colored by the fact that one of my friends uses his Nextel phone as a tethered modem, and at one time was able to set up a special ringing profile for when he was using it as a modem. This profile would send all calls to voicemail automatically, preventing them from ringing through, so that his data session would not be interrupted. There are times I wish that I could do that with my BlackBerry!

Secondly, there are times when I'm using the phone, but would like to be able to still use data to surf the net at the same time! For example, if I call T-Mo customer service and I'm on hold, I'd like to be able to surf the net from my BlackBerry, as a way to pass the time while I'm on hold.

I don't know what's holding RIM up with the release of the HSDPA/UMTS BlackBerries Stateside, but someone needs to light a fire under their arses, so we can get them sooner, rather than later!

If T-Mo doesn't have a 3G available at their corporate stores the very SECOND the network goes live in the Washington DC/Baltimore market, I'm going to become quite surly!

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 03-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #44
evilc

Model: 8700
Carrier: Vodafone

OK, I am a little confused here...
Isn't the 8707 what y'all are talking about? It's been out for like 6 months here in the UK...
Old 03-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #45
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

90 days and no it is not the 8707 seies
Old 03-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #46
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc
nsimpson: how do u know this for sure? u working for rim or roger? and how do u know the model will be 9XXX series? and would this be a full qwerty keyboard? and would u have a pix of it by any chance?
work for rogers. As far as the full specs who knows. We were told its going to be a full QWERTY but as far as that who knows whats going on. I think it would be a great idea for them to put in video conf. /video calls in their new blackberries. Imagine doing your conf. callls on a blackberry? that would be amazing. I mean the extra browsing speeds are going to be great but a frontal camera would be extra great!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #47
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

^ Aren't you under a corporate NDA?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #48
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

He he give me a 900 rims gott step ther game up with apple entering the fold an competing with palm.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #49
Dude
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T
Default Howto: Send all calls directy to voicemail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance
Apparently, most of you failed to fully grasp the point I was trying to make, probably because I didn't explain it well enough.

So, I'll attempt to clarify. First off, there are times that I do NOT want a phone call to interrupt my data session! For example, if I'm using the as a tethered modem and I'm downloading a large file I need for my computer, I do NOT want that download interrupted by someone calling me! I want them to go directly to voicemail, so I can continue downloading! But then again, I suppose my opinion is colored by the fact that one of my friends uses his Nextel phone as a tethered modem, and at one time was able to set up a special ringing profile for when he was using it as a modem. This profile would send all calls to voicemail automatically, preventing them from ringing through, so that his data session would not be interrupted. There are times I wish that I could do that with my BlackBerry!
1. Create a new profile, name it what you want.
2. Go into the Phone options of this new profile.
3. Set Do Not Disturb to Yes.
4. Enjoy uninterrupted data connections.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #50
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
^ Aren't you under a corporate NDA?
Nope becuase we operate a dealership. We get the info from Rim and Rogers both inorder to order accordingly. As well we get perks like new information when you have are a silver certified dealership. Hence why i leaked most of the Rogers info to BlackBerryCool
Old 03-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #51
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimpson
Nope becuase we operate a dealership. We get the info from Rim and Rogers both inorder to order accordingly. As well we get perks like new information when you have are a silver certified dealership. Hence why i leaked most of the Rogers info to BlackBerryCool
Only asked since you stated above that you "work for Rogers".
Old 03-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #52
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Depens on what happens after evryones done with the merger.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #53
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
1. Create a new profile, name it what you want.
2. Go into the Phone options of this new profile.
3. Set Do Not Disturb to Yes.
4. Enjoy uninterrupted data connections.
Cool! I set that up tonight!

I don't know why I never noticed that setting before.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 AM   #54
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Only asked since you stated above that you "work for Rogers".
yeah i have no problem in tell you all whats down the pipe. Its right now not to specific other than Q4 hspda blackberry. We possibily might be releasing it out sooner if dont meet out HTC release dates.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #55
wangta01
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilc
OK, I am a little confused here...
Isn't the 8707 what y'all are talking about? It's been out for like 6 months here in the UK...
Just to clarify things - no, this would be a new unit (hence the 9XXX series reference) that would be similar to the 8707 units, but have more functionality in that it would also offer multi-band UMTS frequencies. The 8707 unit does have quad band GSM service, but only does one UMTS service (I think), 2100. This new unit would add to that, having the same quad band GSM service, but also multi band UMTS in addition to the 2100 frequency (1700 or whatever).

My dream phone - UMTS enabled 8300 (papa bear) model that rocks the camera, GPS and multi-band UMTS. I'd buy in a second!

One thing I'm not clear on - is the 8703e UMTS capable? And isn't UMTS referred to as WCDMA? Verizon uses CDMA - hence the confusion....thanks people.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #56
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: at&t

i heard 3g blackberry won't be out anytime soon if they dont fix the battery issue associated 3g connection (ie 3g connection uses alot of power)
Old 03-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #57
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01

snip

One thing I'm not clear on - is the 8703e UMTS capable? And isn't UMTS referred to as WCDMA? Verizon uses CDMA - hence the confusion....thanks people.
WCDMA is a 3g development of GSM, CDMA has always had greater bandwidth and other advantages over GSM but was used over a much more limited area. As GSM carriers try to compete in the highspeed data arena they are adopting technologies that are developments of CDMA.

The CDMA used by verizon/sprint/alltel and the WCDMA used by cingular et al are not compatible.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #58
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default 3G suretype?

thats what the rumour has it.

Last edited by nsimpson; 03-22-2007 at 01:53 PM..
Old 04-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #59
mobile_pheen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: N/A
PIN: 2a3b4c
Carrier: Left Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
He he give me a 900 rims gott step ther game up with apple entering the fold an competing with palm.
no1 needs to compete with apple

apple is launching yesteryears techonology today - 2.5g/edge?
meanwhile every other vendor is launching HSDPA/UMTS on their PDA's and smatphones
Old 04-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #60
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Apple isnt stupid, they absolutely dominate the mp3 player market now because they offer a complete easy to use solution thats is attractive and well marketed. Every complaint I see about the iphone (not enough features, too expensive, focuses too much on design over practicality) was levied at the original iPod when it came out. Yet here we are today. People dont care about features, they want things that are easy, work together and look nice. Apple knows this very well.

Apples competitors need to learn this and step their efforts up to the next level. If they dont, check back in 5 years and apple will dominate another market.

As for the topic of the thread, hopefully the 91xx series isnt going to be the only HSDPA BB. AFAIK the 91xx will be suretype. Suretype works, but QWERTY is the way a BB should be!
Closed Thread