Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Milkman
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default Couple of questions for a born again Blackberry user

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I made the jump and since leaving the Blackberry (at the 7520), I am finally back at the 9630... Love the phone. The screen is absolutely amazing. I have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can help me with...
  • With my Treo I was able to "Force" the phone to roam or not to roam. Is there a way to do that with the Blackberry?
  • I know this is going to sound weird, but bear with me. I already have my push e-mail setup, and am very happy with it. I have about 8 other e-mail addresses that I want to check only occasionally and don't want them pushed to my Blackberry (unless I request them). Is there any way to do this?
  • Is there any way that I could get my messages to not show up in the MESSAGES folder AND the actual e-mail folder??? I don't like the fact that everything shows up in that one folder (in addition to the other folder).
I think that is it for now. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Not sure
Nope
Nope.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
bidaci
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
Well, I made the jump and since leaving the Blackberry (at the 7520), I am finally back at the 9630... Love the phone. The screen is absolutely amazing. I have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can help me with...
  • Is there any way that I could get my messages to not show up in the MESSAGES folder AND the actual e-mail folder??? I don't like the fact that everything shows up in that one folder (in addition to the other folder).
I think that is it for now. Thanks!
If you don't want to use the single message folder you can always hide it and just use the separate email folders.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You can force the 9630 to use GSM instead of CDMA, but you cannot force it off Sprint. That is disabled by Sprint. It's under Options > Mobile Network.

Like Midnightdraven said, there is no way to stop email from coming at certain times. It's an all-or-nothing thing as the BlackBerry is designed so mail always shows up. With the Treo you could set a schedule, or manually poll your different accounts. BlackBerry has no such scheduling feature. It's always on. You can log into your BIS page and set individual accounts to not forward mail to the handheld, but then to start it again you have to log back in and change the setting manually. Not a convenient solution. Plus, any mail that came in while you had it set not to forward to handheld will not be forwarded when you turn it back on.

Bidaci has the only practical solution for not getting all your messages in the messages folder. You can hide it and leave the individual mail folders as visible. Just be sure to use a separate folder for SMS/MMS messages before you hide the main Messages folder. Open the Messages folder, use Menu to access Options > General Options and go to "SMS and Email inboxes". Set this to "Separate" before hiding the general Messages folder or you won't see your SMS/MMS messages.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
I know this is going to sound weird, but bear with me. I already have my push e-mail setup, and am very happy with it. I have about 8 other e-mail addresses that I want to check only occasionally and don't want them pushed to my Blackberry (unless I request them). Is there any way to do this?
You could use a third party mail application like LogicMail and only start it when you want to check your mail. But also not a perfect solution.

On the BIS you can configure filters to forward only the header. IIRC on the device you can choose to download the whole message at a later time.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Milkman

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks guys.... LogicMail is exactly what I am looking for. It is pretty simple, but for the purposes that I would use it, it is perfect.
Closed Thread