BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
dgoode01

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Office Documents on a Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

I am considering purchasing a blackberry. But Before I do, I need to know if there is a way to sync office documents to the blackberry without emailing them to yourself.

I have searched the various forums, but everything I have found said this can't be done. But I have seen a third party application eOffice Professional, which comes with a program called eFile. The description said it has the capability to do this.

Can someone help me with this? Can this be done? If so, how and with what application.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
RIM lacky
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Telus

No, you can't sync anything but PIM data (Address Book, Calendar, Memo Pad and Tasks). The only way to get those doc's on the BlackBerry would be to email them to yourself, OR if you had an 8100, you could transfer them using the Media Manager.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
daves
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T, former Vzw

I use mobipocket to sync PDF files... the reader is free.. not sure it would sync ms office docs though and I think you'd need to launch them from the email queue.. but it does work for PDF files fyi.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
dgoode01

So if I purchased an 8100, I could sync them automatically or would it be a manual sync every time?

I currently have a Treo 700w, and use activesync. But I can't stand the instability of the Treo with WM5. The thing I like about the Treo is the ability to carry around all of the necessary documents with me.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
RIM lacky

Carrier: Telus

It would not be an automagic thing, you would need to do it manually every time.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
Milkman
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoode01
But I can't stand the instability of the Treo with WM5.
Understandable. Why don't you get a 700p then?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:37 AM   #7
mischief007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Nope
Carrier: Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIM lacky
No, you can't sync anything but PIM data (Address Book, Calendar, Memo Pad and Tasks). The only way to get those doc's on the BlackBerry would be to email them to yourself, OR if you had an 8100, you could transfer them using the Media Manager.
Documents don't seem to open up on the 8100 if they are transferred via Media Manager. Only one I've been able to open is text documents.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #8
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIM lacky
if you had an 8100, you could transfer them using the Media Manager.
This doesn't work. Media Manager is for Ringtones, Video and Pictures only, for now (Ringtones and Pictures only for the 8700).
Old 09-14-2006, 08:58 AM   #9
0siris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: US Cellular

The way I look at questions like this is that, out of the box, the Blackberry isn't designed as a PDA. It's a data-messaging device.

Doesn't mean you can't make it into a "full" PDA, but it's not one when RIM ships it.

It's a very rough way to think of it, I admit. But the customers I've discussed it with find that very understandable.

Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792
Old 09-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

That and the fact that RIM is still an infant in the applications development world, in my opinion, as is the development community as a whole. It's going to be a fairly delicate balance for them to have, if they are ever to offer an office productivity application or any other type of application that would nearly duplicate something already on the market. They've been really pushing hard to get more and more developers, so understandably, if they offered such an application to their users out of demand (for free), they could very well destroy their relationship with a developer.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #11
dgoode01

I understand them not wanting to destroy relationships with their developers. So with that being said is there a 3rd party app that will do this (i.e. eOffice or something else).
Old 09-15-2006, 02:45 AM   #12
Silentknight

Model: 7250
Carrier: Earthlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoode01
I am considering purchasing a blackberry. But Before I do, I need to know if there is a way to sync office documents to the blackberry without emailing them to yourself.

I have searched the various forums, but everything I have found said this can't be done. But I have seen a third party application eOffice Professional, which comes with a program called eFile. The description said it has the capability to do this.

Can someone help me with this? Can this be done? If so, how and with what application.

Thanks.
The answer to your question, if I understand it, is - yes.

1. Do a forum search for "eOffice" or "Dynoplex". The resulting threads will give you more information.

2. Go to the software developer's website (www.dynoplex.com). There is more information available there. You can even download a demo.
Good luck.
Closed Thread