Old 12-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #21
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb1966
Hey, I UNDERSTAND that my BB doesn't support SMS, but the point is that OTHER PEOPLE (NO THE BB OWNER) can't remember what a BB does and does not. They figure, hey it is a cell phone, it can probably receive a message. I think you have totally missed the point here.
I've not missed the point, I understand perfectly what you're saying. However, if your friends can't remember that they need to sign what they send then it's their problem, not yours. I have a couple of folks that for whatever reason insist on using the nextel site to send a message to my phone. It only took a couple of times for them to get the message that unless they sign it, they won't get a reply. The first time I can understand them not knowing ... maybe they forget and it happens a second time .. after that, shame on them!
Old 12-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #22
kmb1966
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
No i think you are the one that is missing the point I agree with jwaters, in the first place reserch before you buy, that way you avoid surprises and dont have to complain. In the second place you have a full email device in your hands use the mail feature, what people see on this fad of SMS is beyond me. And finally in the third place if SMS is that important to you and your friends, then either get rid of the BB and replace it with a phone that supports SMS or if that is not to your liking, and prefer to keep the BB for its other great features, then get a second phone to support SMS and walk around with two devices. Then you will truly have the best of two worlds, and by the way as a separate side bonus, you will aso get the adorable cute ringtones that others like so much as well.
Ok. Sorry I brought up this subject. Folks the point is you cannot control what others send to you. If someone starts sending you text messages one day, and you want it to stop, and you can't find out who it is, you'll know what I mean. I like my BB and I understand it darn features. I just wanted to point out that you can't find out who sends something via SMS unless they decide to sign their name. I wasn't trying to start trouble. Some people around here have a "chip" on their shoulder, and it will be proven by someone continuing to respond to this thread with a "know it all" attitude.

Last edited by kmb1966; 12-17-2005 at 10:09 AM..
Old 12-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #23
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon
Default Chips on shoulder Aside

kmb1966 no one is trying to prove anything here and certainly there are no know it alls, you are making a point and i am making a counterpoint. You always have control. In the first place if you stop responding to any SMS messages people will simply stop sending you, it is a game. In the second place I imagine that all providers are the same as Verizon, you simply call them and they block ALL SMS period, end of story. Then it does not matter if there is a name attached to it or not. Finally IF SMS are that important to you and you have need to know who they are from in the first place, switch carriers, pick one that shows the senders name and you dont have a problem.Let them then use the e-mail service, after all that is what the BB was designed for, and guess what, with every e-mail you will know who sent it. My BB is a Business tool, a great one at that, it is not a toy or a social device.

Quote:
Ok. Sorry I brought up this subject. Folks the point is you cannot control what others send to you. If someone starts sending you text messages one day, and you want it to stop, and you can't find out who it is, you'll know what I mean. I like my BB and I understand it darn features. I just wanted to point out that you can't find out who sends something via SMS unless they decide to sign their name. I wasn't trying to start trouble. Some people around here have a "chip" on their shoulder, and it will be proven by someone continuing to respond to this thread with a "know it all" attitude.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 12-17-2005 at 11:19 AM..
Old 12-17-2005, 11:40 AM   #24
kmb1966
Thumbs Must Hurt

"1ST PLACE": Your answer is invalid, you can't respond to SMS on the BB. I have never sent a SMS message to anyone. What are you talking about??
"2nd PLACE": Your answer is invalid, you can't have Nextel block SMS, I asked already.
"Finally" - Your answer is invalid, because you are contractually bound.
Your point is that the user is "in control". That is completely false.
Give me your BB phone number, I'll text message you all day, and then you will realize that there is not a darn thing you can do about it. Go ahead, let me have your phone number and you will see what I mean. I guess it is a mistake to print your phone number on your business cards because "Spammers" will get it, and start sending you text messages all day long about Vi&A*GRI@.

Last edited by kmb1966; 12-17-2005 at 11:45 AM..
Old 12-18-2005, 03:39 PM   #25
smketer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default program

could someone make a program that could run, that would allow the nextel people to be able to send, and get SMS and know who its from?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:23 PM   #26
southwestcomm

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

No.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #27
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
"1ST PLACE": Your answer is invalid, you can't respond to SMS on the BB. I have never sent a SMS message to anyone. What are you talking about??
"2nd PLACE": Your answer is invalid, you can't have Nextel block SMS, I asked already.
"Finally" - Your answer is invalid, because you are contractually bound.
Your point is that the user is "in control". That is completely false.
Give me your BB phone number, I'll text message you all day, and then you will realize that there is not a darn thing you can do about it. Go ahead, let me have your phone number and you will see what I mean. I guess it is a mistake to print your phone number on your business cards because "Spammers" will get it, and start sending you text messages all day long about Vi&A*GRI@.
My answers may all be invalid as you say, fine, in the time I have owned my BB I have never gotten one SMS message. Hmmmm, I guess I am not in control and I am invalid after all.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #28
LilMikey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Telus

I Have A BB With The Mike Network From Telus, I Was Gonna Eventually Even Get Rid Of My Rogers Cell Phone Account And Just Have One Device Being The BB. But My Friends And Family Contact Me With SMS From Time To Time. Now That I Know SMS Cannot Be Used I'll Just Have To Keep My Account With Rogers Just Becasue Of This Issue. Small Issue I Know, But Regardless Rogers Still Has My Account Becasue Of This Small Issue With SMS On My BB
Old 12-18-2005, 09:48 PM   #29
leeobee

Default 7520 and 2002 BMW X5 does it work

I have a 2002 BMW X5. I heard that I can link my blackberry to the radio.
Howw do I do this?

Is it done by the dealer or a phone company?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:21 AM   #30
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wrong thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeobee
I have a 2002 BMW X5. I heard that I can link my blackberry to the radio.
Howw do I do this?

Is it done by the dealer or a phone company?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #31
decadude
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: telus

Well here in Canada, thru Telus.. here's what I do..

I send an email to my daughter at [email address] it converts to SMS goes to her phone. She REPLIES TO THE SMS and it flips back to email and I get it. I have the header telling me who it's from.

I guess the point here is to utilize the full power of the push email of the Blackberry to your advantage.

My SMS are sent to the message icon whereas my emails go into my email icon... so I can get a whack of useless SMS they don't bother me.. the ones I want to hear from will flip their SMS to email..
Old 04-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #32
msingewald
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

I think it is silly that Nextel hasn't fixed this yet. Please don't excuse Nextel for ignoring this because it can be worked around by utilizing email instead of SMS. People using standard cellphones can send SMS easier than email, in most cases. It has also become a bit of a standard to send a message from one phone to another by just entering a phone number rather than an email address.

I switched from the 7520 on Nextel to a 7730 on Verizon and SMS messaging works great. It threads the messages together so that when you read one, all the prior messages still in the phone from that person display together on he screen like an AIM screen. Very nice.

SMS seems to have always been weak on Nextel. I wonder if they have fixed the lag times on delivery of messages?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #33
Kyos
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

This has been fixed for some time now on Nextel. Its sucks they took forever to get it to work. Just get the latest OS version.