BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Should I go for the bold or not?
Sell iPhone and go for the Bold 68 68.00%
Keep the iPhone for the moment 13 13.00%
Keep both! (even though I'd have no money) 19 19.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Iphone or BB Bold? Never been asked (yeah right)

Please Login to Remove!

Lol, OK everyone! Hi! I've had for the moment all 8XXX devices, and I love the curve and pearl, but I changed to the iphone for a quick change. I miss BB messaging, I miss instant emails. I love the iPhones beautiful display, and it's interface. But mostly ... I love the music player. Videos are wonderful... and having 100% screen is useful, but also a bit slower than the real keyboard...

So yeah, I'm not sure... How's the media player on the bold? Any better? What i'm thinking of just doing is selling off my iphone and using my old blackberries until I can get a bold for a decent price ... Since iphones are selling at a great price, but honestly, the media player is really important to me (and battery life) and from what i've heard battery life is really good now!

So how's the media player? Any good? Battery life is still good? Should I sell off my iPhone now this month and keep the 450 euros i'd get for it and save it for a bold? I'd only consider it if the media player is decent now and battery (even in GPRS mode) lasts a full heavy heavy day

Ideas?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
akim911
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

The media player is really good. No problems with it and i enjoy it. However the iphone is a lot more fun searching for songs :P but that's what it is an mp3 player the bold is a phone.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by akim911 View Post
The media player is really good. No problems with it and i enjoy it. However the iphone is a lot more fun searching for songs :P but that's what it is an mp3 player the bold is a phone.
Also remember that the iphone is the only legal way to go if you want to listen to music bought on itunes.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Also remember that the iphone is the only legal way to go if you want to listen to music bought on itunes.
I have my way around that. I'd burn the music that I bought off itunes to a CD and then just import them again, unchecking the "sync" box to my ipod (preiphone days), and then I could do whatever I pleased with it Buying music sometimes just makes you feel .... special and honest! hehe. I especially support small music groups.

Anyways, back to the debate... is the Bold's music player better than the previous models? I mean, I don't need cover flow or anything like that, I just want to be able to browse my music, put it into play lists, rearrange it, and especially (especialllyyy!!!) while listening get notifications through the headphones super important for me! hehe.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeypants View Post
Sell the iPhone, buy the Bold and ask for an iPod touch for your birthday or Christmas.
lol, I have 2 ipods already, but I don't need another ipod. What I want is to only carry one device. Have everything centralized.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I got an iPhone after using the BB for several years. Just couldn't put up with the draining battery, mail issues, and calendar issues.

Took 45 min and half the battery life in the mornings to connect to email (5 accounts). Calendar deleted on laptop, 2 PCs and the MAC for no reason and then was corrupted and doubled on the iPhone. Thanks to the BB, I was able to recover.

I really tried to like it. I wanted to like it. But alas, it went back. Waiting for the bold now. Wonder if I will have to give that back too?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A

I've had the Curve for a while and just sold it on eBay planning to get a Bold. With all the delay for Bold I got a iPhone. Nothing touches a BB for email . But anything else, the iPhone beats it up. If you have no use for web browsing don't bother with the iPhone get the Bold. If email is #1 get the Bold. If you want lots of apps (lots of junk right now) but you can be sure over the next 3-6 months it will get better. iPhone will be like the PC as it will have 90% of all apps written for it because that is where the market is. Almost 2 million phones sold in 2 weeks. Think about that for 1 single device (not even counting the original iPhone). Where will all the software developers go? BB, no, that is MOSTLY a buiness device, iphone .. that is an appliance and more "kiddes" will have one of those then any other phone. That is where all the 3rd party software development will go. For those who don't want that sort of stuff .... that's another story.

I have absolutely no problem with battery life. After a full day of Wi-Fi, 3G & GPS I still have well over 25% battery. When I get home it goes in the cradle and I'm set for the next day.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
KeyLoveMobile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by akim911 View Post
In my opinion, the terms 'mp3 player', 'phone' and 'PDA' should no longer exist separately. Walkmen, Newtons and cellphones have been around for 15 years already, they should be converged by now. I want to carry one device that does everything. So I would make my comparison on all three functions.

All that said, somebody mentioned the full-size screen in the iPhone, I really like the idea of that for browsing. I don't give two hoots about video, but browsing I do a lot of. I wonder if the Bold's +50% resolution over the Curve would be enough improvement to narrow the browsing gap experience.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
KeyLoveMobile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
Almost 2 million phones sold in 2 weeks. Think about that for 1 single device (not even counting the original iPhone). Where will all the software developers go? BB, no, that is MOSTLY a buiness device, iphone .. that is an appliance and more "kiddes" will have one of those then any other phone. That is where all the 3rd party software development will go.
Amen. BB will suffer in the consumer space until it manages to build out its developer community. Symbian has more devices out there, iPhone has the cool factor, and Windows Mobile has the familiar platform behind it. Heck, even Palm is still hanging around because it has so many useful apps that their unsexy handsets are still highly effective.

BB has Java, which people seem to hate. If it weren't for midp support that comes with Java, allowing us to use apps (usually first) written for Symbian, the BB would have a pathetic amount of apps. Half the apps on my BB are midp apps.

Hand-in-hand with a consumer-space push must come an app push. I hope RIM has a strategy for that.

At least the iPhone will distract CEOs from buying Windows Mobile devices and swapping out their BES infrastructure for WM.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #10
decon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I've been debating which to get also.

What will be the cost of the Bold?

If it is going to be $399, I'd rather save $200 and get the $199 iPhone 3G 8g and apply that towards my monthly.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 AM   #11
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

I'd go for the Bold.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:38 AM   #12
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

I think I will, too. I'm on a phone company where we don't have the iPhone naturally, and therefore no data (for cheap) where as the blackberry plan is wonderfully priced for unlimited data. I also used to use Jivetalk A LOT. Now... :-\ I can't! I need to be in a wifi zone to get data connection (which is, in all sincerity) where I don't need it! I need it when I'm commuting to school, work, at parties, at night in clubs... I know, right? Lol.

So yeah, I don't know ... :-\... Well, I was thinking about just going back to my 8300 or 8100 for the time being, sell off my iphone and make 130 euros (about 200 dollars) profit worst case scenario I could sell it, take those 200 dollars and put it towards the NEW Iphone if I realize I can't live without it. Now that i know what i'm looking for again, I'm going to switch to the blackberry temporarily and check it and test it out. I'm sure the bold is much better, but for the time being it's either the BB or iphone. BB phone quality (call quality) is much higher, that's also what's making me want to switch. Iphones a great ipod, but the speaker I think is a little busted, but i'm not sure.

Kent.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
djransom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Personally I prefer the BB over the iPhone. I'm actually selling my iPhone today to get a Curve to hold me over until the Bold drops. The iPhone is an incredible media device, but lacks some features that I feel should be basic with cell phones such as SMS forwarding, MMS, and unfortunately the lack of flash on the iPhone can suck at times.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
Grafixx01
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30B5F65E
Carrier: Verizon

I just don't get good vibes from Apple products. I had 15 iPods that broke before I just said, "F-it! I'm going to get a Creative ZEN." I've dropped the Creative doing 60+mph on my motorcycle, turned around, picked it up and it still worked! I did that with the iPod and it almost shattered.

So I feel the same way about their phones...
Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
Xion901
No longer Registered.

Model: XXXXi
Carrier: A Good One

Defentely the bold
Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #16
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Actually I am going to pass on the Bold. It won't work on T-Mobile's 3G network, and I am not switching BB providers for that. I'll wait for T-Mobile's next offering.

Of course, when they come in they will see me using an iPhone. Well, not really, but I will taunt them.

For play it's the iPhone.
For work, it's the BB.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #17
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

mines up on ebay Spain
Old 08-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #18
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

The 14 day return period is up on my iPhone on Wednesday. I am in the process of switching back to my Curve so that I can return the iPhone.

The iPhone is a truly amazing device, but I think they are still 6 - 12 months away from it being practical for me. The email is just not there yet. It takes me way to long to check and send emails, and there is no LED indicator to let me know I have a new email. I have really struggled with the typing. It reminds me of when I had the Pearl and I would have to go back and correct everything I wrote after the fact. It's OK for typing general sentences, but if you have to type in proper names, slang, or website or email addresses, it is very difficult and frustrating.

The app store is great, but if you look through it, almost all of the applications are games or information. There are very few business applications or productivity applications. I'm sure these will come soon, but they just aren't there yet. On the other hand, simple apps like Apple's native weather and stock apps, and app store apps like Shazaam, Pandora, AOL radio, Sports Tap and Yelp are so easy, beautifully rendered and intuitive, you wonder why RIM (or third-party developers) can't develop these things as well for the BB.

Two major and deal-breaking problems I'm having with the iPhone are battery life and the inability of the iPhone to hand off calls from 3G to EDGE when I'm driving.

Battery life: If I have 3G on, I can't make it past 5pm or 6pm in battery life. If I turn 3G off, I can make it through a day, no problem. The problem is that to turn 3G off (which you really don't need for email and phone calls), you have to go to Settings-General-Network-3G off. That's four taps to turn it off, and then four taps to turn it on again. They need a 3G management program so that you can set 3G to turn off and on depending which app you are using For example, standby, 3G would be off. A phone call, it would stay off. Launch the browser, it would turn on - but only if you are not on WiFi. Etc., etc. These controls should be user-defined. There should also be an easy 3G on/off icon on the home screen.

Dropped calls: I have had numerous dropped calls when 3G in enabled, and this is simply unacceptable. The iPhone may be amazing, but it is a PHONE first and foremost. If I can't rely on it to hold on to a signal from start to finish on a call, then it is useless to me. When I'm driving and I go through certain areas of Los Angeles where the 3G signal is weak or non-existent, it drops the call instead of handing it off smoothly to EDGE. I have been on very important calls and the iPhone has dropped the call. This never happened to me on my BB (granted it is not a 3G device, so I don't know how the Bold will perform in this regard). The problem is that I may have 3G enabled when a call comes through, so I am driving around praying that the call won't drop (or I have to pull off to the side of the road).

Another thing: I travel internationally, and the iPhone is not practical. The data roaming charges are insane with AT&T (even if you get their international data roaming package). Whereas the BB downloads a small message and provides the option of downloading the whole thing, the iPhone automatically downloads the whole thing and there is no way to download only headers or non HTML emails. If I am in Europe and a friend sends me an email with 15 pictures attached (like my friend did with his newborn son on Friday), it cost me about $10 for that email alone. Someone called the iPhone the HUMMER of data usage, whereas the BB is the PRIUS. If you look at the tips on data roaming with the iPhone on the AT&T website, their solution is to turn off email. That is just stupid.

Finally, this seems silly, but it isn't. As a business person, the phone you use makes a statement about your professionalism. Every serious business person in my business uses a BB. If you are walking through an airport and you see somebody on an iPhone, you assume they are playing a game, listening to music, or browsing the internet. If you see somebody on a BB, you assume they are conducting business or at least emailing somebody. The BB person could actually be playing solitaire and the iPhone person could be sending an email, but the perception is the opposite. Therefore, to be taken seriously, I actually HAVE to use a BB. I feel silly and unprofessional carrying around an iPhone.

IMHO, the iPhone OS and UI are superior to BB (with the exception of messaging apps), and the idea of a handheld computer that merges a phone, internet and entertainment is the wave of the future. Eventually Apple will get their device right, and competitors will come along to give Apple and RIM a run for their money.

In the meantime, I will be going back to my Curve, and trying out the Bold when it is released.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #19
sjohns2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A

Well, I guess I'll chime in now. I use both the Blackberry 8820 and the iPhone 3G and with the exception of email, the iPhone for my usage is superior to the BB. I do agree with the post above that states the perceptions of iPhone users vs. BB users. When I see a person using a BB I mostly think business user, and when I see someone using an iPhone, I think they're playing games or surfing the internet for fun.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #20
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohns2 View Post
When I see a person using a BB I mostly think business user, and when I see someone using an iPhone, I think they're playing games or surfing the internet for fun.
Until the battery runs out on the iPhone...
Then they will be using their BlackBery for both
Closed Thread