BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Flagstaff434
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Where do I start with Blackberry?

Please Login to Remove!

I am a Mac user, Missing Sync user, Palm 700P user and a devotee of internet access and email access. If I want to switch to Blackberry, which model most replicates the 700P with internet, email, photo and document access? And, will this work with Verizon. In other words, where do I start to look and ask questions? Thanks......I do not have a Blackberry, nor have I ever had one.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

This is good place to find info. Of course search on ypur question key words, see the FAQs, etc Then ask away.

BTW welcome to the group.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Flagstaff434

I must confess great disappointment. If I had asked this question on a Treo site, Treo maniacs would have jumped on it with enthusiasm. Having found none of the enthusiasm from Blackberry users I am less than likely to search something I know nothing about........
Old 05-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
xxaarraa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

flag, welcome to the forums. Unfortunately for us, there are too many junkies who prefer to spend keystrokes pointing to faq/search than replying to the question. Fear not, you are at the right place.

First of all, if you like your Treo, you will LOVE your blackberry. You have to consider one question: do you need a full qwerty keyboard or can you do suretype (qwerty layout, but with two characters per key and predictive text. think T9 on steroids). That will drive what kind of BB you want. Full keyboard BBs are 8800 (latest), 8700 (workhorse, rock solid), 7290 (old school) and the like. Suretype BBs are 8100/Pearl (smallest, sleekest smart phone money can buy), 7100 (old school) and the like. Only the pearl has a camera.

Keep in mind, regardless of which BB you get, you get rock solid email performance that never quits. Eons ahead of anything else on the market. The devices themselves are well made and stand up to abuse pretty well and you can forget power cycling/restarting/freezing crap that tends to be associated with other smart devices on the market. If you get any device starting with an 8, it can play mp3s, view pictures and do most of the multimedia activities that modern phones can.

If you browsed other sections of the forum, you will notice people dropping their pants for the newly anticipated yet to be released BB 8300. Its supposed to be a hybrid between suretype and full qwerty, as in it has the camera and smaller form factor but also sports a full qwerty keyboard. Just launched in Europe, will hit Cingular pretty soon, no one knows when.

Lastly, think twice before getting a BB as you can never go back. I say this in all seriousness, its more addicting than crack and there are now 12 step programs for rehab. I have made several attempts to break away over the past few years only to come running back for my BB.

Welcome.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I think the short answer is what do you want the most -
8300- qwerty, camera, no gps, no wifi,
8100 - suretype, camera, no gps, no wifi
88xx - qwerty, no camera, gps (except verizon charges), no wifi

Its all about what you value, according to most the 8100/8300 are more aimed at the consumer buyer rather than the corporate.
The 8800 are without cameras and thus more accepted in the corporate world. Also I like the gps, its a great addition and free to use.

So again, choose the carrier first then look to see what phone suits your needs (size, keyboard, evryday use), but they all do email better than any other phone. Browsing is not the strongest point but its much better than the older models. The phones all work very well as phones with strong signal and good volume.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
iHemiola

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaff434 View Post
And, will this work with Verizon.
Then you need to review what VZW offers for the BB if you intend on staying with them. Your decision may be dependent upon your locality. Which models do they offer in your area? Or will you be switching carriers?

But, aren't you tired of the Palm OS? Tired of waiting for their next OS whatever it's called now? I'm was a Palm user since the PalmPilot and finally gave them up after they dumped us LifeDrive users; so to speak.

However, the sync issues may be more important than which phone should you choose. Review the other posts in this forum for the sync-joy which will await you if you decide on the BB
Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Flagstaff434

I have been gone for a week (hence the lack of response on my part). Thank you so much for your enthusiastic responses to my question. Now I believe BB is worth pursuing. For a while there I thought there were no supporters, but now I know better. Thanks again......
Old 06-22-2007, 03:34 PM   #8
shoshumi

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaff434 View Post
I am a Mac user, Missing Sync user, Palm 700P user and a devotee of internet access and email access. If I want to switch to Blackberry, which model most replicates the 700P with internet, email, photo and document access? And, will this work with Verizon. In other words, where do I start to look and ask questions? Thanks......I do not have a Blackberry, nor have I ever had one.
If you have a MAC and you've used a Treo - stick with Palm. Having used Palm Treo's for a number of years I tried an BB 8800. I think it is useless piece of junk, not to mention the nightmare of numerous syncing problems with mac.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
J.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoshumi View Post
If you have a MAC and you've used a Treo - stick with Palm. Having used Palm Treo's for a number of years I tried an BB 8800. I think it is useless piece of junk, not to mention the nightmare of numerous syncing problems with mac.
I don't agree with this post at all. I recently made the switch to a BB 8830 through VZW, and I have to day, I love it.

Missing Sync is a must have for us Mac Users. It allows me to sync my Calendar and Address Book flawlessly. I'm having a few problems with the notes but I will soon figure that one out. The BB email server works wonderfully fast, and I'm able to upload music and pictures.

In summary, after purchasing a BB, I will look to no other device for my organizational needs.

JJ
Old 07-09-2007, 01:56 AM   #10
Newby77

Default Me too...

I'm curious to know what you ended up doing. I just swapped my Verizon 700p for a 8300 BB and am just getting to know it. I didn't really have a problem with the Treo but I've heard that the BB is a superior machine. However it does seem to be more PC oriented. If you did end up getting the BB I was wondering how that worked out for you.

-Nadia
Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #11
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I agree with them the BB is very PC oriented and not very friendly with my mac. Its not a deal breaker but i hate going to my pc to do what i need to do.