Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
daytonkruit

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Koodo
Default Wifi by Default?

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry if this has been talked about many times but I couldn't find it anywhere and I'm trying to find it out.

I am just wondering it my Blackberry Curve 8530 is set to use wifi by default when it is available?

I only have a Social plan and when I click on links form twitter and such things I don't want to be charged the data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time
Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Moved to a more appropriate section.

Please use our SEARCH feature and read the FAQ for info about WiFi.

You will need to check with your carrier to see if WiFi is allowed without a BB dataplan. Some carriers, particularly in the US require it even to use WiFi. I am not familiar with Koodo as a carrier so you will probably need to check.

It isn't configured out of the box for WiFi. You will need to read your user guide and our FAQ to help you get it set. One problem you might encounter since you do not seem to have a BB data plan, you might not be able to get the proper service books pushed to the device. And keep in mind there are many apps that require a B data plan to work, even on WiFi: BBM, email, Facebook, the BB versions of Twitter, etc.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
VicMatson

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Moved to a more appropriate section.

Please use our SEARCH feature and read the FAQ for info about WiFi.

You will need to check with your carrier to see if WiFi is allowed without a BB dataplan. Some carriers, particularly in the US require it even to use WiFi. I am not familiar with Koodo as a carrier so you will probably need to check.

It isn't configured out of the box for WiFi. You will need to read your user guide and our FAQ to help you get it set. One problem you might encounter since you do not seem to have a BB data plan, you might not be able to get the proper service books pushed to the device. And keep in mind there are many apps that require a B data plan to work, even on WiFi: BBM, email, Facebook, the BB versions of Twitter, etc.
It looks like he does have a BB data plan, he just wants to know if his BB can be setup to use WIFI when available. So would I, it seems to be faster? But I really want to know how having both turned on affects the battery. For example, using Android you will find if WIFI is enabled it will put carrier data to sleep, be faster, and save quite a bit of battery.
Closed Thread