BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
ruechel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Thumbs down MISSING SYNC wants more of your $$$ Are these people high?

Please Login to Remove!

The lovely folks from Missing Sync want another $29.95 even though they haven't updated the app in years. Here is what they say on the website:

"If you purchased The Missing Sync for BlackBerry between Nov.1, 2008 and Feb.9, 2009, you qualify for a free upgrade to Version 2.0."

I purchased mine in July of 2007 and I am now expected to shell out another 30 bucks? What are these people smoking??????? I think this is plain RUDE.

Anyone (besides people working for the company) want to weigh in on this? I am about to write a nasty complaint letter.

Nick
Old 02-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

rants and raves?

i think its kinda lame too. you did buy it and all. is there that much of a difference between the two?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

This thread is Mac related and will be staying put.

As for your issue/rant ruechel, I am in the same boat, and less that happy about it.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
jdoom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

count me in. i have a support ticket with them stating this. pay $40 for something that hardly worked (countless hours rebuilding contact/calendar databases) and then they say they have something that actually works and they want another $20. poor marketing. unfortunately since RIM doesn't care about mac users we are "up a creek"
Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
ruechel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-MOBILE

yeah well they (RIM) need to get with it because we are a very fast-growing number of users. Although MARK/SPACE isn't owned by RIM, is it? Anyway, I am furious about it and I flaty refuse to pay $80 buncks in less than two years for a software that doesn't even archive your sent messages, i.e., the ones composed from the device. Even the crappy POCKET MAC software does this. I suggested that MARK/SPACE years ago and they haven't incorporated this super simple feature into their app. Pathetic, isn't it? I will probably be wasting my time wrting to customer service about all of this but if enough users express their outrage maybe something will happen...

Nick
Old 02-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
cdoggLBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

It is ridiculous. I emailed them explaining how it never worked for me and I refuse to pay to upgrade something that never worked in the first place. The basically told me to shove it and that they wouldn't be comping me an upgrade or refunding me for the 1.0.3 version.

Not that I would ever do such a thing, but there is code out there to "modifiy' the reg system of MissingSync for Win Mobile that will also work on MissingSync Blackberry. You could then use 2.0, which still has it's bugs, but doesn't go out and destroy your data without permission like 1.0.3. Seems to me that 2.0 is more of a bug fix then a true version change, so I would be pretty comfortable with that decision morally and legally (maybe someone needs to sue Mark/Space for malicious data destruction) IF I were ever to do it.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

I guess my question is, does 2.0 work well. If it works like its suppose to, I'll pay the $30.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

I have gotten a copy of 2.0, and had initial issue with iCallManager and BBAlerts interfering with the functions, but now it works very well on my Bold. I proximity Sync every 2 hours without issue, running all the plugins.

I will be posting a complete review on BlackBerry News.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
ian13550
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATTWS
Thumbs down

I got "lucky" and was grandfathered in since I purchased my v1.x copy in Dec 2008 -- however -- IMHO it's crap to ask this much $$ for something that "mostly" works.

I proximity sync with my BB Bold and while it does work, the client side app is pretty shaky and has required me to restart it a number of times. It's a pretty clunky solution to Sync from Entourage to iCal to my BB but it does mostly work. The sync BACK the other way (BB --> iCal --> Entourage) is pretty much facked.

I would say that it's not worth the upgrade for the Bluetooth sync until at least a 2.x hotfix/SP (or 2) comes out.

Ian
Old 02-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
hookbill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VERIZON

I was disappointed that it couldn't handle iTunes!

Blackberry Media Manager: Free
Blackberry Desktop Manager: Free (for those of us with Pentium chips)
Sync Google email: Free
Google Sync: Free

I was stupid and bought Missing Sync as well. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, I'm not calling anybody stupid, I'm just saying I was.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

I totally agree with you hookbill, except for one item that I have really started to take for granted, and that is the ProximitySync+FolderSync. To keep files up to date between the devices has become invaluable, and worth the premium.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
jdoom
Thumbs Must Hurt

i got another message from markspace stating that i must pay $25 (it was $20) for a crossgrade. this time i asked to speak with sales management because i never got ver 1.0.3 to work, well it did after it erased all my old notes and duplicated pretty much all contacts/events. it cost me hours and hours of my time to recover the mess it caused and i feel that my $40 was wasted and deserve a product that works. proximity sync sounds neat but let's get the contact/event/email syncing done first. their customer service does not realize that the initial product was a waste of money and that they are angering their customers.
Don't say pocketmac! that doesn't work either
Old 02-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
David.Burke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

Maybe this is a last chance cash-grab for them before RIM releases DM for the mac?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #14
jdoom
Thumbs Must Hurt

oh don't even joke. from what i read in this forum, don't hold your breath waiting for rim.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
hookbill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VERIZON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoom View Post
oh don't even joke. from what i read in this forum, don't hold your breath waiting for rim.
It's my experience that you really can't believe everything you read in forums, i.e. RIM hates MAC. Sure they are competing I guess but that doesn't mean they won't work with Mac. Mac and Windows both offer compatible programs and they certainly are competitive.

I don't know how long RIM has been promising a Desktop Software, or for that matter if they ever did but it certainly would be to their benefit not to ignore Mac users.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #16
The Sage

Model: 8900
PIN: BIC
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoom View Post
i got another message from markspace stating that i must pay $25 (it was $20) for a crossgrade. this time i asked to speak with sales management because i never got ver 1.0.3 to work, well it did after it erased all my old notes and duplicated pretty much all contacts/events. it cost me hours and hours of my time to recover the mess it caused and i feel that my $40 was wasted and deserve a product that works. proximity sync sounds neat but let's get the contact/event/email syncing done first. their customer service does not realize that the initial product was a waste of money and that they are angering their customers.
Don't say pocketmac! that doesn't work either
After several months of frustration and error messages, I dumped my Missing Sync. $40 down the drain. My complaints to Missing Sync got me to a $15 upgrade price, which is still $15 too much.

I installed Pocket Mac from the Blackberry and to my surprise, it worked perfectly the first time I used it. Best of all it was free.

My advice to all, don't waste your money on Missing Sync, it's a total rip off.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #17
hey

Model: 9000

I predict that Mark/Space will be out of business before the end of 2009. They make software that does not work, have a no-refund policy, take a week to respond to support tickets, and ignore customers. This is not a sustainable business model especially with a market that needs support very quickly.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #18
sesme
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

There is a valid reason for this. They are going through a corporate name change. This takes money. The name will now be Missing/Data. Or is that Pocketmac?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #19
Dabin Oakes

Model: BOLD
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruechel View Post
The lovely folks from Missing Sync want another $29.95 even though they haven't updated the app in years. Here is what they say on the website:

"If you purchased The Missing Sync for BlackBerry between Nov.1, 2008 and Feb.9, 2009, you qualify for a free upgrade to Version 2.0."

I purchased mine in July of 2007 and I am now expected to shell out another 30 bucks? What are these people smoking??????? I think this is plain RUDE.

Anyone (besides people working for the company) want to weigh in on this? I am about to write a nasty complaint letter.
Well well - I am just unhappy that i did not think to come to the Blackberry Forum earlier instead of fuming to myself about MISSING SYNCH - so well named - yes I am missing sync since I downloaded version 2 and paid $29 for it - thinking that it would solve my continuing problems with version 1. But of course I was mistaken - in fact it wiped all my contacts from the blackberry - many where unique because Missing Synch could never manage to get any unique contacts on my blackberry and paste them over to the Mac - it was always a one way affair. And then getting a response from them well that took over a week and it was then that they suggested i should download missing sync 2.0.1 ummm so there was a F ... up and they were not big enough to admit it - and in so many of the replies they just pretended the new problems with my blackberry which happened to coincide with the arrival of their software where not in my emails. Well i perservered with the new version but no contacts would come across from the MAC then I noticed error messages on my blackberry!! After about three exchanges with Support I gave up and went to Vodafone Blackberry Support they are very good - so wonderful to be able to talk to someone and have them take you through it - of course they knew nothing about Missing Sync so I have reverted back to Pocket MAC ... oh and of course I had to download a new operating system for the Blackberry because Missing Sync had managed to corrupt it!!!

Thanks Missing Sync I will be after my missing $29 but i don't think there is much hope - May Missing Sync go missing along with it!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #20
Dabin Oakes

Model: BOLD
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Version 2 - beware it corrupted my Blackberry software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I guess my question is, does 2.0 work well. If it works like its suppose to, I'll pay the $30.
No it does not!! It wiped my contacts and corrupted my blackberry software - not that Missing Sync cared or helped or even fessed up to what their poorly tested software did
Closed Thread