BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
buckZor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Pls explain Bluetooth headset w/7100t why?

Please Login to Remove!

I am not bluetooth savvy. Can someone explain to me in pure kings english what the benefit would be of shelling down $100 for one of these cordless sci-fi looking headsets for my 7100t? Oh, and all the users I support are asking as well, and I don't have a clue.

Advice/info appreciated.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

Not to be a smartass but the obvious benefit is the lack of wires connecting the headset to the blackberry.

There are other functional benefits like answering and ending calls without having to touch the phone itself.

One down side is recharging the headset.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 10-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
buckZor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, the cordless part is self explanatory. You touched on what I am wondering about.. Are they somehow capable of ending/generating calls ? If so, how does that work with the 7100t in particular? I've seen some threads saying the Bluetooth functionality on the 7100 leaves alot to be desired.. just looking for details, $100 is alot of money for me to swallow would just appreciate more info to help me gauge the decision.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

The other threads are likely refering to the 7100 not having Bluetooth sync or serial capability. RIM did not include this for security reasons.

The 7100 supports Headset and Handsfree profiles.

Back to the BT headsets themselves... not having a wire attached is worth 100 itself if your a phone power user. Convenience.

And BTW you can get into a top quality BT headset for way less than 100....

http://store.bizshopr.com/moths810.html

http://store.bizshopr.com/moths820.html

are two very popular examples that sound great on the 7100.

Check this thread too

http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1016

Old 10-08-2004, 06:53 PM   #5
buckZor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Voice Dialing? Voice Tags? Does the 7100t support any of this? If it doesn't I dont' see how you could do anything other than answer a call handsfree. You couldn't originate without keypressing..
Old 10-08-2004, 06:55 PM   #6
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckZor
Voice Dialing? Voice Tags? Does the 7100t support any of this? If it doesn't I dont' see how you could do anything other than answer a call handsfree. You couldn't originate without keypressing..
That is correct. But nevertheless, it's extremely handy when on the road, or in the car. Most of these headsets are extremely light, and IMHO a much better solution than a wired headset.

Plus, there are Bluetooth carkits on the market as well...
Old 10-08-2004, 07:01 PM   #7
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

Keep in mind, if this is a work device (especially if you are in a govt/security clearance type situation where you might divulge potentially confidential info over the phone), then BT is horribly insecure. If this is a home device though, you probably wouldn't be terribly concerned about it.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:04 PM   #8
buckZor
Thumbs Must Hurt

So there is definitively no support for any type of dialing origination with a Bluetooth headset on the 7100t correct?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:08 PM   #9
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckZor
So there is definitively no support for any type of dialing origination with a Bluetooth headset on the 7100t correct?
That would be correct.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:08 PM   #10
ursacat

Model: 8800
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Voice dialing (and other) capability in the future?

Just picked up the 7100t and I'm new to Bluetooth.

Yes, the ability to answer and end calls is a plus (in the car and elsewhere) w/o wires, BUT why would an "advanced road warrior machine" like the BB not include Voice Dialing...?

Is this a capability that could be added later w/ a software upgrade?

Does the capability exist w/ a Bluetooth headset (like the Motorola) to scroll to a Contact or a specific phone number in a Contact and use the headset to initiate the call?

I'm also finding the scrollwheel on the 7100t much less "sure" that my 7230. It feels much "cheaper"

Thanks,

Lou
Old 10-09-2004, 11:33 PM   #11
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Default Re: Voice dialing (and other) capability in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursacat
Just picked up the 7100t and I'm new to Bluetooth.

Is this a capability that could be added later w/ a software upgrade?

Does the capability exist w/ a Bluetooth headset (like the Motorola) to scroll to a Contact or a specific phone number in a Contact and use the headset to initiate the call?
Could be a software upgrade for voicedial.. it's possible. The BT headsets are only capable of doing what the phone can already do in terms of voice dial.

Scrolling your contact list and dialing.... No. The headset in question would have to have specific programming for the handset and then the handset would have to support the feature. Again possible with software but the no headset I'm aware of has the nomanclature to accomplish the task.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:55 PM   #12
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

Not true, rcg.

Any handset that supports the Bluetooth Handsfree profile, for example, can be dialed using the LCD and menu on the Sony Ericsson HBH-200.

EDIT FOR CLARITY: The "call log" feature on the HBH-200, that is. There are some headsets from Jabra that will pull your contacts via Bluetooth Handsfree IIRC.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:12 AM   #13
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

sempai you said what I said in a different way.

I'm fully aware of BT devices that can do exactly what was mentioned... My answer was in context to the BlackBerry....

I can scroll my Nokia dial, send and end from my PC over bluetooth™ because the Nokia supports it and I have software to do it. Not all Handsfree profiles are implemented the same so you cannot make an assumption that if it has HF profile it could... my other Nokia (symbian 60) won't.

The call logging feature of the HBH 200 requires the handset to do it.... again not all HF profiles are created equal.

I'm not aware of a current jabra that can do that.... we do sell them.

Old 10-10-2004, 10:04 AM   #14
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

I'm curious on the headsets. It seems from the posts here that people like the Motorola 810 & 820. The CNET review complained about the 810 having static. Some have noise cancelling microphones and some don't.

My question is as follows: With the 7100t to be used in noisy (airports and airplanes), sometimes windy outdoors (on the streets) environments, as well as indoors.
1. Which headset best meets those requirements to produce loud volume, static free, for both the user and produces a clear voice signal for the listener at the other end?
2. Does one need to sacrafice size, weight, comfort or battery life to get this?

I tried the Jabra 200 with the Sony Ericsson P900 a while back and it was useless in such environments. I finally gave up and took it back.

I'm using the phone in my Lexus with its system and I hear the other party clearly and well, but they sometimes complain that they can't hear me. Other times they say they can't tell I am operating hands free it is so clear.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 10-10-2004, 10:37 AM   #15
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg
sempai you said what I said in a different way.

I'm fully aware of BT devices that can do exactly what was mentioned... My answer was in context to the BlackBerry....

I can scroll my Nokia dial, send and end from my PC over bluetooth™ because the Nokia supports it and I have software to do it. Not all Handsfree profiles are implemented the same so you cannot make an assumption that if it has HF profile it could... my other Nokia (symbian 60) won't.

The call logging feature of the HBH 200 requires the handset to do it.... again not all HF profiles are created equal.

I'm not aware of a current jabra that can do that.... we do sell them.

No, you're not catching the context. I just woke up, so I'm cranky, sorry if this comes off as scolding -

There is a big difference between:

Bluetooth Headset

and

Bluetooth Handsfree

They are two different audio profiles that are implemented by whatever device you're working with.

Nokia Series 60 devices use Bluetooth Handsfree. The Sony Ericsson T68i uses Bluetooth Headset. The Sony Ericsson P900? It uses Bluetooth Headset.

So I CAN make the assumption, because if a device supports Bluetooth Handsfree, it means it has a feature set that all Bluetooth Handsfree devices have. If a device has Bluetooth Headset, than that means I can assume things about the functionality of THAT device too.

Jabra's new headsets ring. Loudly, when you get a call. They are doing it to make Bluetooth Handsfree devices more useful to more people, and with jog-wheels, LCD displays and such ON the headset, it's almost like you don't need to deal with the handset anymore to make a call.

I love it!
Old 10-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #16
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

First - I'm aware of the difference in Handsfree and headset profiles.

You can assume whatever you want about the capability of the device but your talking about specification versus implementation.

Quote:
with jog-wheels, LCD displays and such ON the headset, it's almost like you don't need to deal with the handset anymore to make a call.
Which headset has these things?

Old 10-10-2004, 03:25 PM   #17
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
My question is as follows: With the 7100t to be used in noisy (airports and airplanes), sometimes windy outdoors (on the streets) environments, as well as indoors.
1. Which headset best meets those requirements to produce loud volume, static free, for both the user and produces a clear voice signal for the listener at the other end?
2. Does one need to sacrafice size, weight, comfort or battery life to get this?
The Motorola's are popular for several reasons, the 810 in particular because of it's NC mic for louder environs. The 820 is the newer model, less expensive, longer battery life and smaller BUT not quite as good as the 810 in audio performance.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:50 PM   #18
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg
First - I'm aware of the difference in Handsfree and headset profiles.

You can assume whatever you want about the capability of the device but your(sic) talking about specification versus implementation.

Quote:
with jog-wheels, LCD displays and such ON the headset, it's almost like you don't need to deal with the handset anymore to make a call.
Which headset has these things?
rcg -

It either does Bluetooth Headset, or Bluetooth Handsfree. Pick one. Every device has features in common depending on which profile they use. I'm not talking about spec vs implementation.

Quote:
No, the Nokia supports it because the Nokia supports Bluetooth Blah and not Bluetooth Blah. It has nothing to do with Nokia enabling or disabling things, it has everything to do with which audio service Nokia used.

And some handsets do both.

Jabra's super-cool Bluetooth headsets are the BT500 and BT800. (But even the HBH200 shows you Caller ID and lets you call people back)

The BT800 even has a vibrate feature. :D

You should check them out if you like their other headsets. They're pretty cool. I don't know when they're going to be available but you can see them at any given trade show, or if you're on Jabra's good side.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #19
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

BT500 and 800?! Holy crap I feel outdated with my 200 and 250 *cries and runs off to find a new one*

I live, and swear by Jabra bluetooth for a few reasons.
1) Battery life is longer then most others
2) More comfortable (at least for me) then every other one
3) Price, you get what you pay for

I've owned moto's and even generics and Nokia's, the only two that hold regard is the Jabra and sony's HBH series (though form factor I dislike, feels like I'm wearing an earbud again).

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 10-10-2004, 03:59 PM   #20
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

I have an HBH-20 that I like. The HBH-60 is an over-the-ear style, only the HBH-20 and HBH-200 are earbud style.

The worst headset I own is a Nokia HDW-2.

It feels like I'm trying meld plastic to my head. Unsuccessfully.