Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
MikeK2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular
Question edge vs. EDGE?

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, when I activated my 8700 last week they told me to make sure it always said 'EDGE' instead of 'edge'. That hasn't been a problem until today.

On at least two occasions today, while in my office, I received emails on my computer that never hit the 8700. In both instances I checked my 8700 to see that it said 'edge'. Recycling the wireless worked the first time, but the second time I had to do it three times to get 'EDGE' back.

What the heck does all that mean? I was planning to call Cingular tomorrow about it, but I figure someone here will probably have a much quicker answer.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
tfaz1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think edge means it's in the process of connecting to the EDGE network. It's signing on to the network when turning on the device or coming out of a dead area.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

It means that the handheld has lost the connection with the RIM Servers. There are at least a couple of threads on this. I would try a search, and read them, try searching for "EDGE Problems" without the quotes.

Hope this Helps.
Rcbjr
Old 01-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
MikeK2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr
It means that the handheld has lost the connection with the RIM Servers. There are at least a couple of threads on this. I would try a search, and read them, try searching for "EDGE Problems" without the quotes.

Hope this Helps.
Rcbjr
I actually did try a nsearch just like that, but it returned two pages of threads that didn't address this topic as a primary. I don't ahve time to read through two pages of search results, so I thought I'd ask the specific question to help me and anyone else that has this question later on.

I agree that it's definitely a connection related thing, but what makes it do it? When I see that does that mean my phone suddenly lost coverage for an indeterminent amount of time? That would be bad, and strikes me as odd since I typically have been getting full, or close to it, signal strength throughout my office.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
rcbjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaz1
I think edge means it's in the process of connecting to the EDGE network. It's signing on to the network when turning on the device or coming out of a dead area.
Actually, I think it means that it has connected to the Cell Tower using "edge" but has not connected to the Blackberry service yet.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
MikeK2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr
Actually, I think it means that it has connected to the Cell Tower using "edge" but has not connected to the Blackberry service yet.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr.
I'm not sure it's quite that simple though because I tried calling Cingular after it happend the second time, before I got 'EDGE' back, and the call wouldn't go through.

Whatever it is, I hope it's not a normal thing.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
rcbjr

I think this is one of the threads about it

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...roblem+battery

and this one

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...roblem+battery

There are times when the RIM network hickups or that the Cellular edge service dies for a while. It may even occur during a handoff between towers or during high traffic times. I don't know all about it but I notice from time to time a loss of EDGE, and even total loss of signal for several seconds.

Hope this Helps.
Rcbjr.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:05 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

My guess is that it is a Cingular/TMO sign on issue rather than a BB issue. EDGE is the high speed mobile GSM network. I have seen it as edge then going to EDGE as i sign on to the network.

I would call your service provider and ask the question of them.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
barjohn

Carrier: AT&T

Bear in mind that Cingular is going through major upgrade to HSDPA in their network throughout the country and it is causing temporary disruptions. I was down for 2 days at my home.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
MikeK2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
Bear in mind that Cingular is going through major upgrade to HSDPA in their network throughout the country and it is causing temporary disruptions. I was down for 2 days at my home.
Wow, I didn't realize HSPDA was coming on that quickly.

I knew it was unveiled and in a few markets, but I didn't think they were going national so soon.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
Scotty_T
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T, Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK2
Wow, I didn't realize HSPDA was coming on that quickly.

I knew it was unveiled and in a few markets, but I didn't think they were going national so soon.
They aren't.

Here are the cities covered:
http://www.cingular.com/business/3G_cov_maps_pop

Also this is a seperate technology from EDGE so that really shouldn't be a concern. Must be some temporary data issues. Try pulling out the battery if you cannot maintain an uppercase EDGE. If the issue persists, give tech support a call. The loss of data coverage happens from time to time with Blackberry devices.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
tmass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW
Default "Was" thinking of getting 8700..stick w/ 7100g

Thanks for the info guys. I have a 7100g and contrary to alot of posts mine has been reliable with a good loud phone. I've never had messages interupted since I've had it (that I know of). I went and looked at an 8700 today and i'll give the screen about a 20% brighter....it was nice. I was also thinking how nice a faster data connection would be as well. But On and off again data connection requiring a manual reset...sounds frustrating.

So even if you lose edge the unit can't just switch to a gprs automatically? Sounds like a flaw in the unit..even if their working on the tower surley they keep the gprs up and running and the unit should be able to keep data flowing over that. I know don't call me Shirly.

I think I'll stick with my 7100 fro now until i hear better reliability. i think it would be most frustrating to keep cheking the unit to see if it's doing its job.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #13
dbetman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

tmass - You might be over-reacting to one users problem or perception of one. I have never had a connection issue that I know of. It switches to GPRS seamlessly and I have never noticed edge in place of EDGE except in startup. Love it, the best I have had! Go for it!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #14
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default Overreaction

You can't even compare the two and most of us have had EDGE since day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmass
Thanks for the info guys. I have a 7100g and contrary to alot of posts mine has been reliable with a good loud phone. I've never had messages interupted since I've had it (that I know of). I went and looked at an 8700 today and i'll give the screen about a 20% brighter....it was nice. I was also thinking how nice a faster data connection would be as well. But On and off again data connection requiring a manual reset...sounds frustrating.

So even if you lose edge the unit can't just switch to a gprs automatically? Sounds like a flaw in the unit..even if their working on the tower surley they keep the gprs up and running and the unit should be able to keep data flowing over that. I know don't call me Shirly.

I think I'll stick with my 7100 fro now until i hear better reliability. i think it would be most frustrating to keep cheking the unit to see if it's doing its job.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 01-07-2006 at 10:13 AM..
Old 01-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
tmass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW
Default Ok...the 8700

Ok Stinsonddog after reading your tips and review you've got me sold. So edge is really a lot faster or some faster? I'll probably just have to judge for myself.

I guess i'll go to buy.com and get the 8700 for free with a 6 month contract...hope they will just let me continue my existing cingular account since i'm not under contract to them at this time. All they can say is no. Anyone else have a great way to get one cheap??
Old 01-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #16
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmass
Ok Stinsonddog after reading your tips and review you've got me sold. So edge is really a lot faster or some faster? I'll probably just have to judge for myself.
A LOT FASTER. It is no longer painfull to browse the web. WAP sites load instantly, full HTML sites load-up prety fast, fast enough to actually do light full web browsing. It is not as nice as EVDO and the built in BBrowser really needs an update, but overall very nice. I hope opera develops a browser for the BB, I really miss MobileOpera on my SE P900, it is a fantastic browser that would be killer with EDGE!
Closed Thread