Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMobile
Thumbs up Free talking phrasebook for a lucky 7100 or 7105 owner

Please Login to Remove!

Put shortly, we just updated the distributives of our talking phrase books for BlackBerry to incorporate MP3 encoded audio as it was only ADPCM in the past. Unfortunately, we have recently gotten so totally over the 8700 and 8100 models we haven't left a single 7100 unit in the house for testing!

So, the first to download, install and confirm to us that a Windows installation of a talking phrase book downloaded from the BlackBerry section of the BEIKS website does indeed produce sound on an ADPCM enabled device like the 7100, will get an activation code for the phrase book in return.

OK, make that the first two or three. We don't want anyone to call just because they thought they were late.

---
8 Oct 2006 - thanks for the help guys! We now know the distributives are all, the codes are already available (see below) and there's one weird situation to troubleshoot (again, see below).
"A pocket full of knowledge"

Last edited by kolev; 10-08-2006 at 07:21 PM..
Old 10-04-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Great work guys! awesome contest as well.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
Ideasmiths
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100v
Carrier: None

Downloaded the English to French version on Singapore time 1949 hours. Installed the mp3 version. Tested on my Blackberry 7100v. It does NOT work! I always wanted to learn to speak a bit of french...lol

Updated 5 October 2035 hours
Downloaded the English to Chinese verison, installed the ADPCM version?...could not work as well.

Must be something wrong with my 7100v.

Updated 6 October 1343 hours.
Uninstalled everything. Reinstall just the English to Chinese ADPCM version...it speaks! (ie works).....

When I install the English to Chinese MP3 version. It does not work anymore. But when click to 'pronounce'...there is a click click click sound....

Last edited by Ideasmiths; 10-06-2006 at 12:56 AM..
Old 10-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

I have a 8703 if you want me to test. But, it looks like you only need 7100. Let me know if you need help. Thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130E
Carrier: Sprint

It probably doesn't help you much since I got a 7130e, but I actually tried your English to Russian phrase book downloaded from your website about a week or so ago. The MP3 part was not working, but your tech support guy (George Z) sent me an OTA link to a .jad file. After I downloaded that, the audio works.

I just downloaded the English to Spanish version and it works with selecting the MP3 audio files during installation. I went back to check the English to Russian phrase book, and it looks like you guys fixed it. The new download has the MP3 files.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideasmiths
Downloaded the English to French version on Singapore time 1949 hours. Installed the mp3 version. Tested on my Blackberry 7100v. It does NOT work! I always wanted to learn to speak a bit of french...lol

Updated 1035 hours
Downloaded the English to Chinese verison, installed the ADPCM version?...could not work as well.

Must be something wrong with my 7100.
That's the type of feedback I am looking for. Since we have lots of 8700 and 8100 devices around, we have obviously tested the MP3 support already...and that was the sole purpose of this update.
Until yesterday, MP3 encoded files were only available, as someone had mentioned, via our over-the-air site mobile.beiks.com (one good thing about having an over-the-air site is you have instant access to whatever phrasebook or dictionary or game you may need; one drawback is that some carriers seem to limit the file size you can install over-the-air).

What I wanted (and still want) to find out is if by adding the MP3 files to the installer we haven't broken the installation of the ADPCM files somehow.

For your case: 7100v plays ADPCM and NOT mp3 files.

However, installing ADPCM over MP3 may confuse the program. What needs to be done is uninstall BOTH, then manually go to settings/applications/modules on the device and make sure there are no leftovers.

Then install back, with ADPCM only.

Let us know what happens!
Old 10-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
bad99boy

Model: 7100t
Carrier: t-Mobile
Default ADPCM Download link

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolev
Put shortly, we just updated the distributives of our talking phrase books for BlackBerry to incorporate MP3 encoded audio as it was only ADPCM in the past. Unfortunately, we have recently gotten so totally over the 8700 and 8100 models we haven't left a single 7100 unit in the house for testing!

So, the first to download, install and confirm to us that a Windows installation of a talking phrase book downloaded from the BlackBerry section of the BEIKS website does indeed produce sound on an ADPCM enabled device like the 7100, will get an activation code for the phrase book in return.

OK, make that the first two or three. We don't want anyone to call just because they thought they were late.

And I'll edit this post as soon as we have what we're looking for.

This is absolutely a request for help and will be treated accordingly.
Ok. I found it on mobile.beiks.com.

Ok, so I download the application and installed it. Then I downloaded the language pack. When it completed, I opened the BEIKS Phrase Book application and noticed that no language packs were listed. I clicked on the track wheel and received this message: "Uncaught exception: -1<0"

I then looked at the APPLICATIONS installed on my Blackberry and here is what is listed:
BEIKS phrase book viewer 5.9
BEIKS phrase book: voices for French (SND) 5.9
Blackberry 4.1 Core Applications 4.1
Blackberry 4.1 System Software 4.1

When I view the properties for BEIKS phrase book: voices for French (SND), here is what is listed:
Description:
Version: 5.9
Vendor: BEIKS LLC
Copyright:
Modules:
BPB_Fre2_SND
BPB_Fre1_SND-14
BPB_Fre0_SND-6
BPB_Fre0_SND-7
BPB_Fre2_SND-3
BPB_Fre0_SND
BPB_Fre0_SND-1
BPB_Fre0_SND-2
BPB_Fre0_SND-3
BPB_Fre0_SND-4
BPB_Fre0_SND-5
BPB_Fre2_SND-1
BPB_Fre0_SND-8
BPB_Fre0_SND-9
BPB_Fre1_SND-15
BPB_Fre0_SND-10
BPB_Fre0_SND-11
BPB_Fre1_SND-1
BPB_Fre1_SND-2
BPB_Fre1_SND-3
BPB_Fre1_SND-4
BPB_Fre1_SND-5
BPB_Fre1_SND-6
BPB_Fre1_SND-7
BPB_Fre1_SND-8
BPB_Fre1_SND-9
BPB_Fre1_SND-10
BPB_Fre1_SND-11
BPB_Fre1_SND-12
BPB_Fre1_SND-13
BPB_Fre2_SND-6
BPB_Fre2_SND-2
BPB_Fre2_SND-4
BPB_Fre2_SND-5

When I view the properties for BEIKS phrase book viewer, here is what is listed:

Description:
Version: 5.9
Vendor: BEIKS LLC
Copyright:
Modules:
Phrasebooks
PhProxy

I hope this helps!
Thanks
badboy

Last edited by bad99boy; 10-05-2006 at 04:11 PM..
Old 10-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wow, that's a lot of overlapping. It's one thing BlackBerries are not good at - if you download the same module via desktop manager and via direct over-the-air download, it won't just overwrite itself as you would normally expect, it would create a duplicate (as in your case)!

So one thing that would be good to start with in your case is just delete *all* of the listed modules. Just so that you know you start from clean.

Further, I had specifically requested that the install is made via the Windows installer.

We know the mobile.beiks.com files work just as they should because they've been there for a while now and hadn't been changed.

On the countrary, the Windows distributives *had* changed - just yesterday - and although we are expecting them to work all right on 7100 and 7105, we just wanted to make sure before a customer hits us with report for a problem.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
bad99boy

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of overlapping. It's one thing BlackBerries are not good at - if you download the same module via desktop manager and via direct over-the-air download, it won't just overwrite itself as you would normally expect, it would create a duplicate (as in your case)!

So one thing that would be good to start with in your case is just delete *all* of the listed modules. Just so that you know you start from clean.

Further, I had specifically requested that the install is made via the Windows installer.

We know the mobile.beiks.com files work just as they should because they've been there for a while now and hadn't been changed.

On the countrary, the Windows distributives *had* changed - just yesterday - and although we are expecting them to work all right on 7100 and 7105, we just wanted to make sure before a customer hits us with report for a problem.
Ok, I will try and find it on the beiks.com website (which I couldn't before). I never did the Windows install, only the OTA install (which didn't work). BTW, I'm running a 7100t.

Regards,
badboy
Old 10-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
bad99boy

Default Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad99boy
Ok, I will try and find it on the beiks.com website (which I couldn't before). I never did the Windows install, only the OTA install (which didn't work). BTW, I'm running a 7100t.

Regards,
badboy
I was able to install the application via Desktop Manager and Application Loader. I then selected the English-French Talking Phrasebook. I selected several of the phrases and all pronounced clearly and with good volume. I really liked the categories.

Regards,
Mike Lee
aka badboy
Old 10-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
bad99boy

Oh, I did just find one that would not pronounce. In the #Leisure category:
Is there a football game anywhere?
Y aura-t-il un match de football quelque part samedi?

Regards,
badboy
Old 10-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #12
StoPPeR

Model: 7100e

Attempt to install Windows English-Hebrew Talking Phrasebook 5.9 for Blackberry handhelds:

Device: Blackberry 7130e (Alltel)

Select Audio MP3 format.
Select default install path.
Click Install.
Get Completing installation/congratulations.
Launch Application Loader.
Check each BEIKS phrase book app.
Next.
Finish.
Uncheck Data Preservation.
Radio button Do not back up.
Completing screen.
Finish.
Success.
Reboot.

Application and Audio work on Blackberry.

You might want to look into the Dynoplex's free eFile API. It might solve you file issue. it seems to me it may.

StoPPeR
Old 10-05-2006, 08:48 PM   #13
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoPPeR
Device: Blackberry 7130e (Alltel)
Request was for 7100/7105 owners not 7130e.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #14
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

7100t - OS 4.1.0.466 (Package) - BDM 4.2.0.10

Applications to be installed or updated:
BEIKS phrase book viewer
BEIKS phrase book: ADPCM voices for French
BEIKS phrase book: English-French

Bobby, everything plays fine, although it's a bit quiet (like REALLY quiet, and I'm in a quiet room with no noise right now other than my laptop's internal fan). Also, it seems VERY rushed (short audible noise) for some. I suppose this is normal, as the words are fairly short, but I'd suggest a bit more length/silence to the playback.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:42 AM   #15
Ideasmiths
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100v
Carrier: None

Quote:
That's the type of feedback I am looking for. What I wanted (and still want) to find out is if by adding the MP3 files to the installer we haven't broken the installation of the ADPCM files somehow.

For your case: 7100v plays ADPCM and NOT mp3 files.

However, installing ADPCM over MP3 may confuse the program. What needs to be done is uninstall BOTH, then manually go to settings/applications/modules on the device and make sure there are no leftovers.

Then install back, with ADPCM only.

Let us know what happens!
I uninstalled everything and then reinstalled ADPCM English to Chinese version. It works, played the sound. I am going to try to install MP3 English to French to see if it corrupts the thing.

I don't have any OTA capability as I don't have a data plan and is in Singapore Lol so guess I can't test that ...yet.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:09 AM   #16
momchi

Model: 7105t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Kolev,

I have installed English-Hebrew phrase book v.5.9 (BlackBerry OS 4.1 7105t device) with ADPCM option and it did NOT work at all? ....Let me know if I can be of further use to you.
E, dano da ti e polezna tazi informacia
Old 10-06-2006, 04:11 AM   #17
momchi

Model: 7105t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Sorry this was a redundant post... and I removed it.

Last edited by momchi; 10-06-2006 at 04:15 AM..
Old 10-06-2006, 06:52 AM   #18
bad99boy

Bobby, I downloaded and installed the Spanish language pack via Desktop Manager after having already installed the French version. During the insallation via Application Loader it removed the French voice modules, even though the French voice modules were still selected in the Application Loader window. I took screen shots of each if you would like to see them.

Regards,
Mike Lee
Old 10-06-2006, 10:19 AM   #19
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default prize time yet tests continue

bad99boy, jibi, Ideasmiths - please post the PIN numbers of your devices either here or directly to the BEIKS support email; please also include the language of your choice as they have different unlocking codes.

Re sound level: I believe this needs to be adjusted by the device's profile sound level in order to work well. We always try to max it out.

bad99boy, installation of another language should not affect other modules and in reality would be hard to achieve.
How do you conclude the French modules were uninstalled? Did DM warn you it will uninstall them or has French just stopped showing as an available option? Can you see French modules in Settings/Applicatons/Modules?
I'd like to hear if others have seeb the same effect.

Momchi, for fear of you being from a competitor trying to pull me off I'd have to ignore your feedback. Sorry if it sounds paranoid, but I better be paranoid a little than wasting time
If you really need this working, uninstall it and download from the OTA website.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #20
bad99boy

Quote:
bad99boy, jibi, Ideasmiths - please post the PIN numbers of your devices either here or directly to the BEIKS support email; please also include the language of your choice as they have different unlocking codes.
23D2268A French & Spanish
Quote:
bad99boy, installation of another language should not affect other modules and in reality would be hard to achieve.
How do you conclude the French modules were uninstalled? Did DM warn you it will uninstall them or has French just stopped showing as an available option? Can you see French modules in Settings/Applicatons/Modules?
I'd like to hear if others have seeb the same effect.
It told me when I went to install the Spanish modules using DM. DM notified me that it would uninstall the 3 French modules.

I then uninstalled all via XP Control Panel and reinstalled both. French still did not pronounce.

Here's what is now listed in Applications:
BEIKS phrase book viewer 5.9
BEIKS phrase book: ADPCM voices for Spanish 5.9
(modules)
BPB_Spa0_SND
BPB_Spa1_SND
BPB_Spa2_SND
BEIKS phrase book: English-French 5.9
(modules)
BPB_En2Fre
BEIKS phrase book: English-Spanish 5.9
(modules)
BpB_En2Spa

BTW, I'm in Dallas, TX as well. I can email you my screen shots if needed.

Regards,
Mike
Closed Thread