Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
cody
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint
Default local news - what do you use?

Please Login to Remove!

What do you guys use to get local news on your blackberry? I have tried a few different web sites and just can't find what I want. I searched a little a found some stuff about RSS . I don't know.

Blackberry today and blackberry weather are two great programs. I would like to see something like this for local news.

By the way
, I live in Kansas city Missouri where we just had our 180th murder. It's not like I live in. a small town with local news.

Thanks for any replys , Cody
Old 12-04-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

180 murders? Holy crap. I live not too far from Toronto, which is up in the 70's for murders....not bad for a city of about 2.4 million.

Back to your question: RSS is likely the best way to go. You could try to find a wap site with local news, but I think the RSS solution would offer better results. Unfortunately I cannot recommend a particular product, but there is plenty of info out there on RSS feeds.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

For local news you might want to see if one of your local news stations has an rss feed and get one of the many rss news readers available for the bb. I recommend Pocketday, I've been using it since it was released and they make it better every couple of months. The pro version includes a newsreader. Also try a site like mobile.msn.com I think they have a local news page.

I remember when NYC was dangerous ;) I think we're running in the 260s for the first half of the year with a population of about 7-8m. Rudy did good job cleaning things up.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
dranger
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t

Check your local newspaper's website and locate its RSS feed. Then, use a mobile RSS reader. There are a bunch of them out there, the free ones aren't very good, in general because they use a constant data connection. Try NewsClip or FreeNews.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
tbell13

Model: 7520

not to offend, but didthat guy just try to brag about the size of his city based on how many people have been murdered there?

Tim
Old 12-11-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
cody
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell13
not to offend, but didthat guy just try to brag about the size of his city based on how many people have been murdered there?

Tim
Bragging about kc? Think not. Who would want to live here? I'm from Colorado which was a place to brag about but do to marriage I now live here. My point was there is plenty of news here in a town that for example has a bunch of murders. I am new to this rss thing but want to learn. By default the links on Newsclip for example has nothing on kc local news. I realize they can't include all cities. I'm learning though.

My new question is ... I found a rss feed from a local news paper. I entered the URL into Newsclip and all is good. My problem is the headlines are only on news clips but when I want to read the whole article it goes to the news papers web site. What is the difference in me using the rss or just going to the news papers web site in the first place? Thanks, Cody
Old 12-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #7
cody
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
My new question is ... I found a rss feed from a local news paper. I entered the URL into Newsclip and all is good. My problem is the headlines are only on news clips but when I want to read the whole article it goes to the news papers web site. What is the difference in me using the rss or just going to the news papers web site in the first place? Thanks, Cody
Anyone?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:32 PM   #8
SmurfBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Not sure what you want dude. But I use BB News and use some of the basic offered feeds like USA Today, WSJ, NY Times, Washington Post and Fox News. I then went and researched the addressed to other feeds I wanted and added them manually and it is really sweet.

Just a thought. BBNews. It is free. Do a search for it in the forum.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I have a good idea of what he is talking about because I hae the same issue with the RSS readers I have used.

Most RSS feeds are not meant for mobile devices. hence although you get a nice brief description through the RSS reader, when you want the whole tory you have to click on a link which usually takes you to a graphic-rich news site which is not optimal on a rim device.

I think he is asking about text only feeds which provide full story via the RSS and not through an external web link.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:44 PM   #10
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Regarding BBNews, i can't seem to be able to add any new feeds. When i try to enter a feed from the CBC or globe and mail, I get request error: code 7. Any ideas?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:51 PM   #11
cody
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto
I have a good idea of what he is talking about because I hae the same issue with the RSS readers I have used.

Most RSS feeds are not meant for mobile devices. hence although you get a nice brief description through the RSS reader, when you want the whole tory you have to click on a link which usually takes you to a graphic-rich news site which is not optimal on a rim device.

I think he is asking about text only feeds which provide full story via the RSS and not through an external web link.
exactly.

by the way, is bbnews really free. it doesn't quite look that way? when i first loaded it on my bb it has a lot of "end user agreement " stuft that is confusing.i don't know . i just don't want to be charged for something.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #12
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Regarding BBNews, i can't seem to be able to add any new feeds. When i try to enter a feed from the CBC or globe and mail, I get request error: code 7. Any ideas?
Write to their tech support they are good and are extremely fast and helpful they have helped me over other issues. Of all the News Readers I have tried BBNews is by far the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
exactly.

by the way, is bbnews really free. it doesn't quite look that way? when i first loaded it on my bb it has a lot of "end user agreement " stuft that is confusing.i don't know . i just don't want to be charged for something.
Cody I believe it is and that all that end user agreement is standard legalizee for CYA. Maybe we can get barjohn to interpret for us, just kidding barjohn .

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-14-2005, 08:28 PM   #13
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

kontiki- good idea. I'm going to email support.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:48 PM   #14
yann

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Write to their tech support they are good and are extremely fast and helpful they have helped me over other issues. Of all the News Readers I have tried BBNews is by far the best.
I noticed yesterday that a new release of BBNews is available. The name of the software changed: it's called Piconews now. See http://www.piconews.com .
Old 12-21-2005, 08:46 PM   #15
cody
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yann
I noticed yesterday that a new release of BBNews is available. The name of the software changed: it's called Piconews now. See http://www.piconews.com .
bbnews told me last week that thy were comming out with a new app with new name and new site. good find yann.

i download the zip and it didn't work. did the over the air and same thing... i get the " uncaught exception: java.lang.ClassCassException" .

anyone know how to get this to work?

Last edited by cody; 12-21-2005 at 08:53 PM..
Old 12-21-2005, 08:57 PM   #16
KonTiki

I just tried it and got an error about an uncaught java errro. I wrote tot heir tech support and will see what they have to aay, otherwise I am still using BBNews and it is still working as good as ever.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-22-2005, 04:57 AM   #17
yann

Model: 7290

A friend of mine had the same problem because he hadn't uninstalled bbnews before. Try to uninstall bbnews, if you've the same problem as my friend, Piconews should work then!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #18
KonTiki

Yes I got an email back from their tech support they are great and fast btw, and i suggested just that to unistall bbnews reinstall and it is working fine. Thanks yann.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #19
dranger

Model: 7100t

Quote:

In the end, my preferred mobile reader IS meant for the mobile device cuz it doesn't redirect, it downloads the text. Quite the opposite of slow
Old 12-23-2005, 03:01 PM   #20
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

FreeNews does this quite well. Hit the spacebar and you get the complete text only article.