BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #41
Windy

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Is my Cingular-branded 7290 unlocked?

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timshau
I have found both Cingular and T-Mobile willing to unlock the SIM as long as you have had the phone for a while. The reason I gave, truthfuly, is that I travel internationally and want to use a pre-paid SIM with a local number rather than pay expensive international roaming rates. There is a unique unlock code for each phone based on the IMEI number. T-Mobile says they get this code from the manufacturer once requested by the customer.

Below are the instructions from T-Mobile for the 7100 - just so everyone knows what the process is. Note that you only get 10 attempts to unlock before the SIM is permanently locked, so be careful - stop before step 5 unless you have an unlock code.

This posting does not include the unlock code - you will have to contact your carrier for this and they will send you the information or help you do this over the air. Note that both Cingular and T-mobile wanted to do this from a land line with your mobile available.

You can follow steps 1-4 without any danger to find out if your SIM is locked or not. If unlocked for T-Mobile, the Network is "inactive" rather than "active" in step 4.

----

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Below you will see the Instructions for unlocking your Blackberry 7000 Series.

NOTE: If you receive an error message while performing the instructions below, stop. Please be aware that if an excessive amount of incorrect attempts are made, the phone will be permanently locked. Verify the IMEI by pressing *#06# and submit a new request. You have 10 attempts to enter the correct code.

To Unlock:
1. On the Home screen, click the Tools icon. The Options screen appears.

2. In the tools screen, select the Settings icon.

3. Scroll to SIM Card and select it. You should see the phone number and the SIM ID number.

4. Type 'mepd' to display the first five levels of SIM locking. T-Mobile uses network locking so the Network should display Active. All other states should display Disabled

Please note: For the Blackberry 7100t you will hit the "P" twice when entering the 'mepd' and 'mep2' for steps 4 & 5.

5. Type 'mep2' to display the dialog box asking for the unlock code (Press the Alt + 2 key to get the number 2)

6. Input the SIM Unlock code (it will be 16 digits long)

7. Press ENTER and reboot handheld.

I followed these steps on my Cingular-branded 7290, and here's what I got:

SIM: Disabled
Network: Disabled
Network Subset: Disabled
Service Provider: Disabled
Corporate: Disabled

Does this mean my BB is unlocked?

Thanks,

Windy
Old 08-30-2005, 12:51 PM   #42
sn00py

Model: 7230
Default careful with unlocking

make sure that your new provider uses the same band as your blackberry.

I tried unlocking a tmobile BB when my company switched to Cingular, and a tech guy I know in Cingular told me that the phone would not work anyway. it would be a total waste or make an expensive paper weight.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #43
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

sn00py - that is a load of crap. T-Mobile BlackBerrys work fine on Cingular and vice versa. The "tech guy" you spoke too is 100% incorrect.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:40 PM   #44
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Here's the way I see it... There are only 3 ways to get a blackberry unlocked.

1. From you carrier. Some do it, some don't. Some charge, some don't. Either way, the carrier can send you a code, based on your IMEI number that will unlock the device.

2. From someone who works for a carrier or knows someone who works for a carrier. These people do the exact same thing as option 1, but without the knowledge of the carrier. These people apparently don't mind risking their jobs for a few hundred extra bucks.

3. Bongo Wireless. Kevin has an interface cable (for lack of better term) that will read/calculate the unlock code from the device's ROM. For him to do this, he needs the actual unit.

My take on the whole thing is that if your carrier will give you the code, cool... get it. If not and there is a crooked carrier employer who hasn't gotten caught yet, what the heck, the worst they are going to do is steal your 50 bucks. Once you have exhausted all options and are ready to deal with the only 3rd party who can reliably unlock your blackberry, you are going to call Bongo.

People complain that $100USD is too much, well look at your alternatives... there are no other reliable alternatives if your carrier won't do it. $100 is more than reasonable if you ask me, considering nobody else can actually unlock a blackberry regardless of the carrier. Rogers charges $250 to unlock a blackberry, and I am not even under contract... I own all my blackberries outright, that's something that is unreasonable. I guess my demo voice and data lines kinda make up for it though.

cd.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #45
kartooz

Model: 7100r
Thumbs up ALL BLACKBERRY UNLOCKING UNLOCK service IS AVAILABLE NOW

the wait is over. ofcourse somebody not going to like this. (There is time to make good money and time is up.......) BLACKBERRY unlocking CLIP is OUT. now i will only disclose this . this clip's founder is in canada more presicely in TORONTO. STAND ALONE CLIPS and only availble to dealer's. at this moment no REMOTEUNLOCKING service is available only POSTAL or WALKIN. I HAVE ONLY POSTED this info on 2 fourms. GSM-FOURM and on this blackberry fourm.com...... SEPT 12 is the RELEASE DATE so sit tight. KEEP you guys POSTED>>>>>>
Old 09-02-2005, 12:08 PM   #46
kartooz

Default Blackberry Unlocking Solution Is Out Now Is The Time

BLACKBERYY UNLOCKING SOLUTION DATE IS SEPT 12 .... more info will be posted on sept 12......2005....
Old 09-02-2005, 06:44 PM   #47
LovaDaBB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

unlocking clip?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #48
idle0095
No longer Registered.

Model: 7730

can this even be done?
Old 09-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #49
GadgetJunkie

Model: 7280

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartooz
the wait is over. ofcourse somebody not going to like this. (There is time to make good money and time is up.......) BLACKBERRY unlocking CLIP is OUT. now i will only disclose this . this clip's founder is in canada more presicely in TORONTO. STAND ALONE CLIPS and only availble to dealer's. at this moment no REMOTEUNLOCKING service is available only POSTAL or WALKIN. I HAVE ONLY POSTED this info on 2 fourms. GSM-FOURM and on this blackberry fourm.com...... SEPT 12 is the RELEASE DATE so sit tight. KEEP you guys POSTED>>>>>>

When you say "... only to dealers..." do you mean Cingular, or Momma Mildred's Mobile Madhouse? What level dealer? Cingular? Circuit City? HUH?
Old 09-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #50
vnick76

Model: 9000
PIN: 20DA2E7E
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhudgins
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7100t Enhanced: BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I have 4 valid unlock codes for 4 blackberries PM me and I'll send em to you
The offer is still available ?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #51
vnick76

Who know to explain exactly the pricedure to insert the unlocking code on the BBERRY device.
I tryed this; but was function only "mepd" and got the status of the sim card, never get the dialog box for unlock code.

To Unlock:

3. Scroll to SIM Card and select it. You should see the phone number and the SIM ID number.

4. Type 'mepd' to display the first five levels of SIM locking. T-Mobile uses network locking so the Network should display Active. All other states should display Disabled

Please note: For the Blackberry 7100t you will hit the "P" twice when entering the 'mepd' and 'mep2' for steps 4 & 5.

5. Type 'mep2' to display the dialog box asking for the unlock code (Press the Alt + 2 key to get the number 2)

Thank's alot.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #52
kartooz

Default Blackbery Rim Unlocking In Toronto Canada In Now Avialable

from SEPT 12 2005 ANY BLACKBERRY CAN BE UNLOCK UNDER 50 USD....... wait for more info.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:34 AM   #53
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartooz
from SEPT 12 2005 ANY BLACKBERRY CAN BE UNLOCK UNDER 50 USD....... wait for more info.
what a load. do we kick yer bum bum now, or on SEPT 13 2005 D00D?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #54
BongoWireless

Model: 8300

It's true, but it's no big secret...Griffin Team has made a clip that will unlock all Blackberry's. Soon to be released.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:28 AM   #55
vnick76

That's a realy good news !!!
I am eager to unlock my Berry...
I will wait details about this starting on 12 September.
Thank's ALOT !!!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #56
LovaDaBB

Model: 7290

It's Sept 12'th.....any more info?
Old 09-13-2005, 05:22 AM   #57
hadji
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Orange Romania

we are now the 13 september...any news??
Old 09-29-2005, 03:01 PM   #58
CatScan29

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Default Instead of

Instead of just sitting here complaining / inquiring about it has anyone thought that maybe it is time to start a class action suit against these companies.
We have paid for a device and expect to be able to use it. I know I was not informed that the device would be locked to a single network and now through no fault of my own I can no longer use this device due to the merger and the lock that is placed on the device. It's time for us consumers to stand up for our rights. We hold the almighty dollar, without our money these companies wouldnt survive. The only way they are going to listen is if we hit them and their shareholders where it hurts, the pocketbook.
I have already drafted a letter to AT&T / Cingular and forwarded to my lawyer so they can put in on their letterhead and make any reasonable changes.
Let me know if you are interested. If there is enough interest then it's time to take action.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:26 PM   #59
crashnburn

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by timshau
I have found both Cingular and T-Mobile willing to unlock the SIM as long as you have had the phone for a while. The reason I gave, truthfuly, is that I travel internationally and want to use a pre-paid SIM with a local number rather than pay expensive international roaming rates. There is a unique unlock code for each phone based on the IMEI number. T-Mobile says they get this code from the manufacturer once requested by the customer.

Below are the instructions from T-Mobile for the 7100 - just so everyone knows what the process is. Note that you only get 10 attempts to unlock before the SIM is permanently locked, so be careful - stop before step 5 unless you have an unlock code.

This posting does not include the unlock code - you will have to contact your carrier for this and they will send you the information or help you do this over the air. Note that both Cingular and T-mobile wanted to do this from a land line with your mobile available.

You can follow steps 1-4 without any danger to find out if your SIM is locked or not. If unlocked for T-Mobile, the Network is "inactive" rather than "active" in step 4.

----

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Below you will see the Instructions for unlocking your Blackberry 7000 Series.

NOTE: If you receive an error message while performing the instructions below, stop. Please be aware that if an excessive amount of incorrect attempts are made, the phone will be permanently locked. Verify the IMEI by pressing *#06# and submit a new request. You have 10 attempts to enter the correct code.

To Unlock:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...d=1#post111657

I used the procedure here which is different from the one here and I dont see anything so far. Please do let me know.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:45 PM   #60
crashnburn

Model: 7100T

Ok an update I just put in a Telefort (Europe - NL) prepaid card in and it did not say anything to the tune of SIM related issue. When I got into the SIM section it shows:

SIM Card: Security Disabled
ID 2939283928932893829832? (some long number with ? at the end).

Can someone verify if their unlocked phones would show the same with other SIMs?
Closed Thread