BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
black betty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: PRICK
Carrier: TMO/AT&T
Default Issues relating to BBF Buy/Sell Transaction Re: Fake Transactions.

Please Login to Remove!

To many people are getting scamed here by thieves posing as members of our community. I ask that forum Mods establish a policy for Members to be able to sell and trade here, BBF members that want to conduct bussiness here should be well established and known to the community. This imo will help to keep this community safe. Common sense should be the norm when you buy or trade here, But i think we can use a liitle help.

Last edited by Tom; 06-12-2008 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: inappropriate title..
Old 06-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by black betty View Post
To many people are getting scamed here by thieves posing as members of our community. I ask that forum Mods establish a policy for Members to be able to sell and trade here, BBF members that want to conduct bussiness here should be well established and known to the community. This imo will help to keep this community safe. Common sense should be the norm when you buy or trade here, But i think we can use a liitle help.
well, making BBF the intermediary in the financial transaction would solve all of those problems. the BBF could either have a paypal or its own financial system, and the money would be transferred to it and held until the buyer receives the item and it is confirmed that it activates and "is as advertised." then, once that has been confirmed by the buyer, the money would be transferred to the seller. if the blackberry the buyer purchased arrives broken, the money would still be held by BBF until the seller receives the blackberry back, then the money would be transferred back to the buyer. insurance should be mandatory on all shipments and the shipment should be premium shipping service only to avoid in-transit damage (such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL). the USPS has a nasty way of throwing all of their boxes all over the place......

does this sound like a good first attempt at a "trade-buy-sell" system on BBF?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
black betty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: PRICK
Carrier: TMO/AT&T
Default Good

IMO i think we should all bounce some ideas here on how to protect our community and its members.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Too many people? How do you figure that?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
sh0n
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

lol dont trust a person that has "catch me if you can" in their name?? That would of been my first hint

Just make a stickey that says the Mods do not suggest purchasing items from other members unless they have XXX amount of posts.

Honestly it seems to be asking alot of the mods here to worry about who you give your money to. To many liability and legality's.

Seeing you used pay pal, they GIVE YOU A GUARANTEE for a few extra bucks..Pay Pal has offered this protection. If you elect not to use it, well... live and learn.

Last edited by sh0n; 06-12-2008 at 12:42 AM..
Old 06-12-2008, 12:43 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

We already have policies and rules for the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. We can't vouch for everyone posting here. People should pay attention to the number of posts, any feedback, ebay feedback if available.

And, for the record, we have VERY few people complaining of being misled or scammed. It's bound to happen every now and then but I think your post is a bit over the top.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
well, making BBF the intermediary in the financial transaction would solve all of those problems. the BBF could either have a paypal or its own financial system, and the money would be transferred to it and held until the buyer receives the item and it is confirmed that it activates and "is as advertised." then, once that has been confirmed by the buyer, the money would be transferred to the seller. if the blackberry the buyer purchased arrives broken, the money would still be held by BBF until the seller receives the blackberry back, then the money would be transferred back to the buyer. insurance should be mandatory on all shipments and the shipment should be premium shipping service only to avoid in-transit damage (such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL). the USPS has a nasty way of throwing all of their boxes all over the place......

does anyone else have anything to improve or add (or remove) to my above idea? does that sound like it could work?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
We already have policies and rules for the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. We can't vouch for everyone posting here. People should pay attention to the number of posts, any feedback, ebay feedback if available.

And, for the record, we have VERY few people complaining of being misled or scammed. It's bound to happen every now and then but I think your post is a bit over the top.
I agree. It's bad when anyone gets scammed, but I can't see BBF taking the responsibility for buying/selling on the forum. There is a thread about what to consider when buying a used Blackberry.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/buy-...lackberry.html
Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #9
sh0n
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
does anyone else have anything to improve or add (or remove) to my above idea? does that sound like it could work?

IF BBF had anything to do with the verification process they should charge 15% of the total sale to pay for BABYSITTING and using common sense FOR YOU.

IMO

way over the top man, its a forum, not an Escrow service.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #10
daphne

Quote:
I don't think so. If I were the owner of this forum, I would not take that on. That's not what this forum is about, or for.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

BBF is not going to get involved in the private transactions of others.

FWIW, the transaction in question isn't even proven to be a scam. The device may still show up. It was an international transaction and those can take some time. it hasn't even been two weeks yet.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
To many people are getting scamed here by thieves posing as members of our community.
Please post links to the "too many people" getting scammed here. Besides the one in question from tonight, link me to all the other ones, please.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #13
sh0n
Thumbs Must Hurt

2 weeks? lol.. My sister was stationed in Cuba, and it took over a month for packages to reach stateside. Patience...
Old 06-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I've had it take that long just from Canada. Remember that all this stuff has to clear customs, etc.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #15
John Clark
BBF Moderator

** Moved to Site Suggestions, News & Problems **
Old 06-12-2008, 01:31 AM   #16
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I don't think so. If I were the owner of this forum, I would not take that on. That's not what this forum is about, or for.
true, i was just trying to think of ideas
Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #17
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:

Sorry, simply not going to happen. The time, costs of operation, costs of transaction, simply just would never pan out for a FREE site. Being on BBF is like getting invited to WES for free, but now your asking that your flight be paid for too?

BlackBerryForums takes NO responsibility of what goes on in the Buy Sell Trade forum, it is the buyer and the sellers responsibility to assure both have a safe transaction, and there are several tips posted on how this can be assured.

The true stories of people getting scammed that I heard so far, showed absolutely NO common sense from the buyer.

Last edited by Tom; 06-12-2008 at 03:13 AM..
Old 06-12-2008, 03:18 AM   #18
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
Sorry, simply not going to happen. The time, costs of operation, costs of transaction, simply just would never pan out for a FREE site. Being on BBF is like getting invited to WES for free, but now your asking that your flight be paid for too?

BlackBerryForums takes NO responsibility of what goes on in the Buy Sell Trade forum, it is the buyer and the sellers responsibility to assure both have a safe transaction, and there are several tips posted on how this can be assured.

The true stories of people getting scammed that I heard so far, showed absolutely NO common sense from the buyer.
just simply trying to be creative to go along with the thread topic .

never said it was do-able (at least for free that is). you can't deny what a good idea it would be for a website to be solely dedicated to the resale of used cell phones, not saying it has to be related to BBF, but a site that would protect both the buyer and seller in a more reliable fashion than on ebay. it's a big chore to file a report on there, but a site like the one i described could be proactive to make sure the sale goes according to plan. there are already dozens and dozens of "sell your old cell phone" sites, but i don't believe there is a site that acts as a portal and intermediary specifically for cell phones, etc.

Last edited by JGBerry; 06-12-2008 at 03:22 AM..
Old 06-12-2008, 03:43 AM   #19
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:

never said it was do-able (at least for free that is). you can't deny what a good idea it would be for a website to be solely dedicated to the resale of used cell phones, not saying it has to be related to BBF, but a site that would protect both the buyer and seller in a more reliable fashion than on ebay. it's a big chore to file a report on there, but a site like the one i described could be proactive to make sure the sale goes according to plan. there are already dozens and dozens of "sell your old cell phone" sites, but i don't believe there is a site that acts as a portal and intermediary specifically for cell phones, etc.
If your ever worried about any transaction.. just simply use http://www.escrow.com it does exactly what you describe.. except with everything, not just cell phones.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 AM   #20
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
Quote:

If your ever worried about any transaction.. just simply use http://www.escrow.com it does exactly what you describe.. except with everything, not just cell phones.
Sweet, I'll have to check it out
Closed Thread