BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
Nickster248
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus
Unhappy Telus Due for a Blackberry Upgade !!

Please Login to Remove!

Aside from the 7130e, Telus has not offered a new(er) version of the Blackberry for quite some time. What about the 8707v I've been reading about, or the 8702 for that matter. Aside from the 8702, have they not been out for a while now?

The Canadian carriers have a very poor selection of Blackberry's compared to the US carriers. I want to see an expanded selection of Blackberry's and would like Telus to come out with a new 8700 at the very least. Anyone else deal with Telus and would like to see a newer version of the Blackberry being offered?

Nick

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Old 06-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
DanMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
PIN: 3015cb8b
Carrier: Telus Mobility

Nickster
I tend to agree. The 7520 is an extremely useful tool for my work as I use the 2-way a lot but I don't think they can squeeze the MIKE into an 8700. I'm not a huge fan of the 71xx series with the Smart type. As you're in BC Telus is big there and out here in the East coast they need to expand their coverage more than their BB line of products.
Telus Mobility
BB 8703e
Old 06-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Nickster - you may be a bit confused. The 8707v just came out, is UMTS and will not work in North America. Much less on CDMA that Telus uses.

I've never heard of an 8702.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

tHE 8702 IS THE cdma version of the 8700 that Sprint is testing.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Oh - that rumor! Has anyone actually seen one?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
xxhiyanxx

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

ahhh another variation of the sprint/verison/nextel 8700 thread.... i THOUGHT things were slowing down
Old 06-23-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
purephase

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster248
Aside from the 7130e, Telus has not offered a new(er) version of the Blackberry for quite some time. What about the 8707v I've been reading about, or the 8702 for that matter. Aside from the 8702, have they not been out for a while now?

The Canadian carriers have a very poor selection of Blackberry's compared to the US carriers. I want to see an expanded selection of Blackberry's and would like Telus to come out with a new 8700 at the very least. Anyone else deal with Telus and would like to see a newer version of the Blackberry being offered?

Nick
Telus currently offers the latest BB versions that are available for North America on the CDMA and iDEN networks. Don't expect to see any new BB's until at least Q4 and I wouldn't even hold my breath for that timeline.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Every BB offered in the US is available here...

Quote:
The Canadian carriers have a very poor selection of Blackberry's compared to the US carriers.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
mcjeffree

Model: 7250

According to my Telus rep, the 8700 should be available within a couple months...The fact that Telus is so far behing Rogers in Canada pisses me off...The new Pearl...which I would not get simpply because of the keyboard, is going to Rogers exclusively for 1 year in Canada...so it should be available through Telus in Sep/Oct 2007...

My cousin who has worked at Rim for several years, always has the latest b4 they come out...he has had the Pearl for 6 months...So I always get to see what is coming before it comes...The 8700, I saw for the first time, Summer 2005...so the fact that I have to wait so long for Telus to catch up is maddening...Oh well, it will be here soon!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
purephase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjeffree
According to my Telus rep, the 8700 should be available within a couple months...The fact that Telus is so far behing Rogers in Canada pisses me off...The new Pearl...which I would not get simpply because of the keyboard, is going to Rogers exclusively for 1 year in Canada...so it should be available through Telus in Sep/Oct 2007...

My cousin who has worked at Rim for several years, always has the latest b4 they come out...he has had the Pearl for 6 months...So I always get to see what is coming before it comes...The 8700, I saw for the first time, Summer 2005...so the fact that I have to wait so long for Telus to catch up is maddening...Oh well, it will be here soon!
I'm not exactly a Telus fan-boy, but let's be reasonable here. GSM carriers will always get devices in their hands and out the door long before CDMA carriers. The licensing and production costs are considerably higher for CDMA (and it's controlled stringently) which results in the delay in release from Roger's to Telus/Bell (and likewise, Cingular to Verizon/T-Mobile).

You should only complain when Verizon/T-Mobile release devices that are not available through Telus which, to be fair, rarely happens. Now, iDEN-enabled BB's on Mike? That's a whole different story. The lag between Nextel and Telus is considerable and one that always pisses me off.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #11
ant architect
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase
I'm not exactly a Telus fan-boy, but let's be reasonable here. GSM carriers will always get devices in their hands and out the door long before CDMA carriers. The licensing and production costs are considerably higher for CDMA (and it's controlled stringently) which results in the delay in release from Roger's to Telus/Bell (and likewise, Cingular to Verizon/T-Mobile).

You should only complain when Verizon/T-Mobile release devices that are not available through Telus which, to be fair, rarely happens. Now, iDEN-enabled BB's on Mike? That's a whole different story. The lag between Nextel and Telus is considerable and one that always pisses me off.
T-Mobile is GSM, like Cingular. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers in the US.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
purephase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant architect
T-Mobile is GSM, like Cingular. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers in the US.
Oh? Wow. T-Mo takes a long time to release devices. I just always assumed it was because they were a CDMA provider. Good to know.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

"The Canadian carriers have a very poor selection of Blackberry's compared to the US carriers"-nickster

I dont really agree. Rogers will always get the current models of bb around the same time as us carriers. we tend to get them right after the 1st US carrier (within weeks, just depends on how the want to roll out the devices) and MUCH MUCh before the 2nd or 3rd carrier picks up the device in the states becuase the 1st company usually as an exclusive on it.

Rim has always had a solid relationship with Rogers, heck they were one of the 1st to pick up the the blackberry concept. and Rim has been very loyal to Rogers
Old 09-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #14
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.

BINGO and BINGO was his name OH...

Its not that Canadian providers have less of a selection, its due to your provider being cdma. Few and far between manufactures, providers want to have anything to do with qualcomm and cdma. cdma always has, and always will have less of a device selection.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #15
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Yep.. and telus will be bought by Bell..
Old 09-29-2006, 10:09 PM   #16
Nickster248

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtailgrep
Yep.. and telus will be bought by Bell..
Well, you may be right. I see that Bell now offers the 8703e, so I wrote Telus asking when they expect the 8703e will be available to their subscribers. I also said that I would change Carriers if they had no date in mind. I haven't heard back from them as yet , but in a week or so I will do just that...change to Bell Canada if Telus cannot come out with the hardware.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #17
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Unhappy

subsitute one poor alternative for another.... tisk tisk.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #18
adamfnet

Model: 0000

Quote:
Well, you may be right. I see that Bell now offers the 8703e, so I wrote Telus asking when they expect the 8703e will be available to their subscribers. I also said that I would change Carriers if they had no date in mind. I haven't heard back from them as yet , but in a week or so I will do just that...change to Bell Canada if Telus cannot come out with the hardware.
I asked this before, but didn't get an answer. Is there a Telus insider here that can give us a date when the 8703e is coming to Telus? I mean, Bell has it now, so it can't be a technical issue. Anyone have some more details?
Old 10-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #19
Nickster248

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimpson
subsitute one poor alternative for another.... tisk tisk.
That only leaves me with Roger's and I've already tried them...with the 8700r, but the coverage where I live is very poor with Rogers. Bell uses the Telus towers, so their coverage (better than Roger's) is the same as Telus. I am caught between a rock and hard place unfortunately.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #20
Nickster248

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfnet
I asked this before, but didn't get an answer. Is there a Telus insider here that can give us a date when the 8703e is coming to Telus? I mean, Bell has it now, so it can't be a technical issue. Anyone have some more details?
I wrote Telus asking them that very question, and here is what they had to say:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding TELUS new hardware launches inquiry.
In regards to your inquiry, please note that TELUS is continually working with manufacturers to introduce the best new wireless handsets and products. Due to the competitive nature of the wireless industry, we do not discuss future hardware launch plans with the general public. We do test products to satisfy different market segments, but we do not release details about any potential products until their commercial launch."

Closed Thread