Old 03-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
berrydeezz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default 8530 without data plan (sprint)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade my parents to the new curve since sprint has a buy one get one free deal. Now the issue is they have a shared plan that they pay only 40 bucks for that works great for them. Now some will say it cannot be done but I know it can because it was done for my dad's 8830.

The goal is to have a phone under their same plan and just use the wifi when it's available.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

When was the 8830 purchased? At least a year or longer ago?

Sorry, but the carriers have all recently instituted adding the proper data plan when you purchase a device that generally requires one. They are going so far as to scanning the network to find devices without data plans and adding it. ATT does this ad I think Verizon does also. Not sure about Sprint, TMO and others. But my guess is if they don't, they soon will.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
RUFFSTUFF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: SPRINT

I'm pretty sure the BOGO deal is for new customers, not upgrades for existing...

A 8530 without data? What's the point?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
berrydeezz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
I'm pretty sure the BOGO deal is for new customers, not upgrades for existing...

A 8530 without data? What's the point?
Um no it's not it's for existing also sprint give me 150 off every year to get a new phone. And my parents don't need data all the time and why pay for it anyway. If they are paying 20 dollars a phone for 1000 minutes why would you want to mess that up.

I don't even know why I'm explaining this but the main issue is this they pay 40 bucks for two phones, if they get data then they have to pay 120 a month so having a phone with wifi makes sense. There is freakin free wifi everywhere these days, it's way faster than any 3g bull
Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
RUFFSTUFF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrydeezz View Post
Um no it's not it's for existing also sprint give me 150 off every year to get a new phone. And my parents don't need data all the time and why pay for it anyway. If they are paying 20 dollars a phone for 1000 minutes why would you want to mess that up.

I don't even know why I'm explaining this but the main issue is this they pay 40 bucks for two phones, if they get data then they have to pay 120 a month so having a phone with wifi makes sense. There is freakin free wifi everywhere these days, it's way faster than any 3g bull
Then why don't they just keep what they have? Nothing is truly free, the reason why the phones are so cheap is because the carriers get their profit from the plans...

Good hunting!
Old 03-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

berrydeezz, what kind of help do you want, or do you want help? Other's are only giving you their opinion and the facts as they believe them to be. But you say you know it can be done. So, go do it.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
RUFFSTUFF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
berrydeezz, what kind of help do you want, or do you want help? Other's are only giving you their opinion and the facts as they believe them to be. But you say you know it can be done. So, go do it.
+1

Times change, plans and policies change. When I was looking at carriers last month because my contract was up, everyone required a data plan for their BlackBerries. Sprint was the only one of the big 3 (Sprint, Verizon, At&T) to not also charge extra just for the phone. Get them a netbook and call it a day.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
i-Dak

It just doesn't make sense to get a blackberry when they arent going to use the features!
Closed Thread