BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Will you keep your current BB or go for the 8800 or iPhone when they come out?
Sticking with my current BlackBerry 72 18.65%
Waiting for 8800/8900 148 38.34%
Waiting for iPhone 90 23.32%
Waiting for both!!! 76 19.69%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:31 AM   #161
themostversatile

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mo

Please Login to Remove!

Bottom line, the iPhone isn't really catering towards a traditional BB user. It does WAY more than a BB ever will. RIM sticks to what it knows-phone, great email, useful internet, functional document handling. Hell, the only reason I believe we got the Pearl and upcoming 8800 series is that it was becoming ridicoulous that BB's had virtually no multimedia capabilities in what is now a multimedia-centric market.

As far as iPhone specs, PLEASE believe the specs will change leading up to it's June release. I suspect the iPhone will have 3G capability(if not by June, definitely before holiday '07, maybe v2.0). GPS would be nice but for all of you BB users that have GPS-enabled models, you already know what that does for your battery life... I'd rather use a BT GPS dongle.

The BB is a GREAT device. The iPhone can't and won't change that fact. However, it WILL rule the "smartphone" market. Windows Mobile 5.0 can be highly unstable depending on which phone it's installed on. (just like any version of Windows on random PC's.) Palm OS is just...well...behind, and both of those platforms lack the key component in Apple design approach... Proprietary hardware + proprietary software = STABILITY. On an OS level, this same approach has directly contributed to RIM's success over the years.

All this to say, if you like your BB (especially pre-Pearl) and don't care about cutting-edge, skip the iPhone or at least wait a year or two. If you're a geekazoid tech-freak (like me ) or have been looking for the ultimate "SmartCommunicatorMedia" device, well perhaps your solution gets here in June!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #162
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by themostversatile
Proprietary hardware + proprietary software = STABILITY.
Assuming that decent QA is in place. There are certainly plenty of unstable proprietary devices out there...
Old 01-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #163
griffin

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsic
Oops, your right. According to the keynote, and forbes, 1% = 10Million units. How much profit they make from each unit is up for debate, but analysts are saying 6.5Billion. Not 10Billion, but still "massive" in my very humble opinion.
The 6.5b was a REVENUE estimate. Jesus, where do you find these ppl? Bsic needs remedial econ 099.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #164
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by themostversatile
However, it WILL rule the "smartphone" market.
Well, that's a pretty bold statement, I'd say. I'm sure it will have an impact, but I believe even Steve Jobs himself doesn't think it will "rule the smartphone market" as his projections are to grab a 1% marketshare within a year or so. And some financial analysts are saying even THAT goal is unlikely to be met. Do you consider 1% marketshare to be "ruling the smartphone market?"
Old 01-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #165
DanUC6
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

So 8800 only edge and no wifi?? If this news is true this is sad. Even if the iphone did not show up I probably would have to pass on this guy!!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #166
Spectre.hsm

Model: Curve
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Apple could be in trouble. Anyone seen the new LG phone.

engadget mobile.com/2006/12/15/the-lg-ke850-touchable-chocolate/

Looks like the Iphone is not as special as people seem to think!

Oh, I had to put the space in the link because I am new to the forum
Old 01-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #167
archer6

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre.hsm
Apple could be in trouble.

Looks like the Iphone is not as special as people seem to think!
Spectre, Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the link!~

One word of caution, prior to the iPhone announcement, this used to be an open forum in which people respected each others thoughts, experiences and opinions. Sharing & differing opinions was encouraged and it was very useful and beneficial. In the way that all open forums operate.

I have made similar posts to yours (in the positive spirit of sharing information) and become the target of flamers here. These are the Apple fanatics that believe in magic and anything out of Steve Jobs mouth. Some of which instantly, after _just one presentation at MacWorld_, proclaimed how much they hated their BlackBerry's and how outdated they were.

These people take great delight in personalizing their attack. They will twist your words, or put words into your mouth, just for their own instant gratification. They have no respect for anyone, much less themselves.

I suspect that once the "smoke has blown over and the iPhone is being produced and sold, these people will be too busy with their iPhones to focus their time on diluting this great forum with their negative energy and personal attacks.

That said, the overall majority of the people here are truly outstanding individuals. The very backbone of this great forum. People who share intelligently without emotion and using just the facts. I enjoy this forum a great deal and have learned a lot here. My intention is simply to give back by helping others now that I have the experience and knowledge to share.

Again, Welcome and Thanks for your post!

Cheers....
Old 01-15-2007, 09:19 PM   #168
Spectre.hsm

Model: Curve
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Spectre, Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the link!~

One word of caution, prior to the iPhone announcement, this used to be an open forum in which people respected each others thoughts, experiences and opinions. Sharing & differing opinions was encouraged and it was very useful and beneficial. In the way that all open forums operate.

I have made similar posts to yours (in the positive spirit of sharing information) and become the target of flamers here. These are the Apple fanatics that believe in magic and anything out of Steve Jobs mouth. Some of which instantly, after _just one presentation at MacWorld_, proclaimed how much they hated their BlackBerry's and how outdated they were.

These people take great delight in personalizing their attack. They will twist your words, or put words into your mouth, just for their own instant gratification. They have no respect for anyone, much less themselves.

I suspect that once the "smoke has blown over and the iPhone is being produced and sold, these people will be too busy with their iPhones to focus their time on diluting this great forum with their negative energy and personal attacks.

That said, the overall majority of the people here are truly outstanding individuals. The very backbone of this great forum. People who share intelligently without emotion and using just the facts. I enjoy this forum a great deal and have learned a lot here. My intention is simply to give back by helping others now that I have the experience and knowledge to share.

Again, Welcome and Thanks for your post!

Cheers....
I know all about that type of stuff as I am a moderator on another forum "see the link in my sig." Try dealing with people when it comes to investing money. But thanks for the welcome!

What it really comes down to is this. Everyone is waiting for BB to make that special device like that Iphone looks. The do it all super phone. The Iphone is a little glimpse of that, but it is not it. Its more of a cool hipster gadget. Not the same as the tool our BB's are. That being said, for those of us that are not in the military or lawyers and what not, want BB to make that super multimedia super smart phone. The 8800 is a step in that direction, but its not their yet. Still not as sexy as we want it to be. Some people see how sexy the Iphone is and want it. Heck, I want it just to replace my Nano. But at the end of the day, the BB is still the standard for smart phones. We just want RIM to catch up and add some cool and sexy to the BB!!

-Spec
Old 01-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #169
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Quote:
Oops, your right. According to the keynote, and forbes, 1% = 10Million units. How much profit they make from each unit is up for debate, but analysts are saying 6.5Billion. Not 10Billion, but still "massive" in my very humble opinion.

link:
Financial Times Business News: Apple unlikely to steal plum position - MSN Money
In the interest of being a little more fair, I went back and looked at that article. Your interpretation of it is most interesting, to say the least!

It seems from the article that Steve Jobs himself is just about the only one throwing around the kind of numbers you're talking about. But don't take my word for it, here's a DIRECT QUOTE from the article YOU linked to! The most important parts will stand right out at you. Please read it THOROUGHLY this time, as I'm guessing you just skimmed through it originally:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Times Business News
Apple unlikely to steal plum position

As the initial glow around Apple's iPhone fades, some analysts are questioning whether the new fangled mobile phone, music player and web-browsing device represents a truly existential threat to smart-phonemakers.

Shares in companies such as Research in Motion, maker of the BlackBerry, and Palm, maker of the Treo smart-phone, plunged after the iPhone launch, signalling that many investors believe such devices will have a hard time competing with Apple's sleek new gadget.

But Richard Windsor, who analyses the smart-phone market for Nomura Securities in London, takes a more sanguine view of the established players' prospects.

"We don't think it's going to touch BlackBerry from Research in Motion," he says, noting that the iPhone's price tag probably includes a subsidy from Cingular, the mobile operator that has teamed up with Apple on the device.

"At $499 including subsidy, the iPhone is only going to affect the very top of the smart-phone market," Mr Windsor says. "From an American consumer's perspective, if a guy goes into a mobile phone shop and signs up for a two year contract, he expects the mobile phone for free."

Vivek Arya, an analyst at Merrill Lynch, agrees that the sell-off in RIM shares was overdone. "The iPhone has a strong multimedia suite that will appeal to consumers, but we believe RIM's BlackBerry smart-phones with hardware keyboards have superior messaging features targeted at [business]."

Mr Arya says the iPhone's multimedia capabilities could be a bigger threat to Palm, which could come under pressure to develop new features that match the iPhone's ease of use.

Stuart Jeffrey at Lehman Brothers agrees. "Palm's traditional strengths in the smart-phone market have been the company's ability to design innovative, user-friendly devices," he says. With Apple's iPhone setting a new standard for style, user interface and the ability to play music, Palm could be exposed, he says.

One potential hurdle to the iPhone achieving blockbuster status is that many of its most innovative features - such as its unique touch-screen controls - rely on the fact that it can run fully fledged Apple software. That means it could be difficult to develop cheaper, stripped-down models that would be within reach of a wider audience.

Early iPod models were also on the expensive side. Although early versions of the music player were popular among enthusiasts, iPod sales did not truly begin to surge until after Apple came out with a series of iPods at different prices. Today, consumers can pick up an iPod shuffle for as little as $79.

Mr Windsor says that is unlikely to happen with the iPhone. "You have to ask, what is it? Basically, it's a Macintosh," he says, adding that the unsubsidised cost of the device could be as high as $800. "If Apple wants to bring the price down, it is going to have to re-engineer the operating system," Mr Windsor says.

Other, more pedestrian concerns could limit the iPhone's appeal. Customers may not like the fact that they will be forced to regularly clean their iPhones to ensure they are free of face grease and makeup, for example.

The iPhone's touch-based interface may be an issue for some. Many customers seem to enjoy the "tactile feedback" they receive when typing on a traditional keypad. Whether the iPhone's ease of use will be enough to make up for the lack of sensation when typing on its touch-sensitive screen remains to be seen.

A lack of compatibility with Windows-based "push" e-mail services - programs that send e-mail messages from desktop computers to wireless devices - could limit the iPhone's appeal to business users. Apple's phone will feature free web-based push e-mail through Yahoo, but that is unlikely to make a big difference to potential iPhone users, says Mr Jeffrey of Lehman.

Steve Jobs, Apple's co-founder and chief executive, seems to be betting that the iPhone will transform the smart-phone market, rather than simply add to it.

He said on Tuesday Apple hoped to sell 10m iPhones by next year, the equivalent of a 1 per cent market share of the global handset market.

The potential revenue gains could be huge. Richard Farmer at Merrill Lynch estimates that for every point of market share it gains, Apple stands to take in $6.5bn in sales from the iPhone. That would translate to earnings per share of 75 cents per basis point of market share, according to his estimates.

Regardless of whether Apple's market share goals are met, the iPhone's innovative features are likely to create a stir among handheld device makers, says Paul Smith, a consultant at Bain & Co.

"The iPhone is going to create disruption in the marketplace," he says. But "my CIO isn't going to want to buy me one, certainly not at this price".

Copyright 2007 Financial Times
Bottom line, the numbers you're throwing around, bsic, are simply wishful thinking on the part of Steve Jobs and Apple. They are by NO MEANS the certainty that you seem to think they are.
Quote:
Well, sorry, just quoting from the financial websites and keynote, link was included in my post.
Well, apology accepted. But trusting the keynote was your first mistake. Companies ALWAYS put a marketing "spin" on a new product to portray it in the light they want the buying public to think of it in. But I'm a big believer in digging a little deeper to find the real truth of the matter. Instead of just blindly believing what Steve-o says, you should try finding out the truth for yourself. Or at least as much of the truth as you can dig up from publicly available sources, at any rate.
Quote:
I think they got the 6.5 billion from:

10Million units * 600 = 6B. But, i didnt come up with these, check the market projections on the link i posted, or search yourself.

Jeez guys, someone said they didnt think the iPhone wouldnt make a killing in the market, i quote a website (which many other sites concur with), and people act as if i wrote it.

Nope, never did work in retail, just designing ARM cores and microprocessor circuits. You got me.

Since basic *reading* fails you, let me reiterate i said 10million, not 1.5 million... And so did the links. The estimate is 10M units worldwide, and not just in the USA. (again, not my numbers but ones from industry pundits).

One more source with the same figures, in case you cant figure out the 1% = 10M:
Finally, Apple answers call for iPhone -MSN Tech & Gadgets - Consumer Electronics Show 2007

With companies expected to sell more than 1 billion cell phones and more than 200 million portable media players this year, Apple was wise to enter the market, according to Crotty.

10M units * $600 =.... ill let you push the calculator button.
I did the math based on the numbers in this article, again in the interest of being fair. Based on hoped for sales of 10 million units, and a projected revenue of $6.5 billion from those 10 million units, that would mean revenue from each unit would be $650. The term revenue implies PROFIT, and I have no idea how they're figuring Apple will make $650 profit from each unit. As far as I know, Apple is NOT planning on a proprietary data service for this phone, a la the BlackBerry Internet Service or the Hiptop/Sidekick data service. IF they were planning such a proprietary data service, requiring a monthly service fee, that would be a revenue stream that MIGHT lead to the kind of monetary intake the article mentions. But IF Apple is planning such a data service, it has not been announced to the public yet. So, this article has left me STILL scratching my head over how they're arriving at these figures! Something's still fishy here.

But again, I believe they are MISTAKEN in thinking the ApplePhone will gain such a large market share worldwide. I firmly believe they are greatly overestimating how it will do outside the United States. Again, as I've mentioned before, it is already known that this phone will do poorly in Asia. This is because Asian cell phones are consistantly 1-2 years ahead of U.S. models, technologically speaking. By the time the ApplePhone shows up in Asia, it will be a technological dinosaur, and will therefore be likely to just gather dust on store shelves... unless someone in Asia needs an expensive, stylish paperweight!

Europe could make use of the ApplePhone, certainly. It's a GSM unit, and GSM is the default (i.e. government mandated) cell phone standard in Europe. BUT, again, it's still uncertain how Europeans will react to the device. And another big problem is that the ApplePhone has been announced as a Cingular/"new AT&T" EXCLUSIVE. So, it will be some time before this thing can even go on sale in other markets. But Uncle Steve-o seems to have glossed that part over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Well said!

So accurate & worth a million laughs!

Thanks !
You're welcome! And I'm glad to see that at least SOMEONE in this thread has a sense of humor... other than myself, of course!

So, thank YOU!
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
The 6.5b was a REVENUE estimate. Jesus, where do you find these ppl? Bsic needs remedial econ 099.
ROTFLMAO!!!

That was one of the funniest things said in this whole thread! Thanks for the laugh, griffin!

Spectre.hsm, I'd also like to welcome you to the boards. Always good to see a fellow DC Comics fan online, and the fact that you appear to be a Hal Jordan fan as well makes you okay in my book!

And now, in the interest of moving this discussion back on track, here's some of the latest news about the ApplePhone (BTW, I'm now refusing to use Apple's preferred name for the device, except when quoting someone else, since the name is the subject of much controversy and litigation right now):There, I think that's enough links for one day. Should keep everyone out of trouble for a bit while they read through them!

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 01-16-2007, 11:35 AM   #170
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance
"At $499 including subsidy, the iPhone is only going to affect the very top of the smart-phone market," Mr Windsor says. "From an American consumer's perspective, if a guy goes into a mobile phone shop and signs up for a two year contract, he expects the mobile phone for free."
I agree with this financial analyst's assessment of how iPhone may effect the smartphone market, as well as the other referenced analyst who spoke to RIM's superiority as a business messaging provider. No one has ever denied this.

However, Mr. Windsor seems quite unfamiliar with the American market and what an American consumer receives in exchange for a 2-year contract within the smartphone segment.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #171
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Lightbulb Consolidation Wins… Period!

Why in the world am I adding to the silly banter posted on this thread? You know the old expression opinion are like a$$ wholes everyone’s got one. While we are all entitled to our personal preferences and opinions why dive on the sword to defend it? …it’s only technology. From a technologist's point of view; perception becomes reality, and reality drives tech markets.

My beliefs are simple… Tech Geeks, Gadget kings and queens, trendy fashion statement people are and will continue to be attracted to something new and shiny. The iPhone does just that. I find it extremely amusing that some of the posts bash Apple/MAC. Here are some truths and facts so swallow it…

Without posting a history lesson for all to read; Apple has done a number of creative things since the inception of the company. One large milestone for Apple was stealing the mouse design from XEROX, changing personal computing forever. This tasteless tactic is no different than Bill Gates buying DOS from his neighbor for a mere $500.00 USD. See a pattern? Both lack innovation but had the smarts to capitalize on other peoples ideas.

Does anyone really think their Windows PC is reliable? LOL! Let’s face it they send out more OS patches and security updates than the population count in China! Not that it matters as Microsoft believes its future isn’t in desktop computing anyhow. Now in all fairness to MS was any Mac prior to OSX capable machines really that reliable? They produced more PAE System crashes and halts than the Somalian Air Force!

PC’s have more programs available than Mac! Of course MS does; they made it a point to push programming SDK almost for free to PC users. Never mind creating a modular programming environment. Between MS C++, Visual Basic, C#, XML and ASP you’re bound to get people to write stuff.

Reminiscing on Palm I remember back in circa 97 the big boom of Palm OS. It was a very hip device when it arrived on the scene. Then along came the first Blackberry, remember those? RIM 857 looking more like a Pager with its pathetic “Ribbon” for navigation, virtually no third party software available for it and double AA battery. If you asked any Palm user back then if they would change platforms from Palm to Blackberry you most likely would get the emphatic “NO”. More programs were available for Palm due to their easy to acquire SDK environments and straight forward C and C++ based programming model. Blackberry took an opposite road by adopting Java for its primary language. DOOT DO DOOO! It took RIM/Blackberry over a decade to match and then beat the Palm device at its own game. Yet I can’t help to think after all the litigation RIM has been through I guess RIM is very similar to Apple; they both stole some other company’s technology to build a better widget! LOL. Oh by the way doesn’t Palm still have more apps available than Blackberry.

So what is Apple doing right? The iPOD; it is Apple’s salvation and definitely a step in the right direction in growing and rebuilding their company. Love it or hate it they have forced the music industry to begin the abolishment of CD’s. How many people really buy an artist’s album anymore? Instead people pick and choose what songs they like. I guess that’s why few arena bands exist anymore.

As far as all the PC lemmings out there; more and more power users and geeks have switched from Windows to Linux (name your favorite chaotic flavor). FACTIOD: UNIX is a more stable platform than any version of Windows/DOS or MacOS prior to OSX. Apple’s OS is a variation of unix when you strip it down to its core kernel period! No matter what the marketing literature says! Notice the word in LITER-a-ture? More proof of marketing is garbage! Apple did good by switching from PPC to Intel.

The one real thing Blackberry does very well is wireless PIM. Let’s face it; today there is no better enterprise device to integrate with Microsoft Exchange Server or IBM Lotus Notes. While running a BES can be costly there is nothing better than wireless Notepad, Tasks, Calendar and Email. Not too mention all of the advance security and policy features it has to offer; which was required by RIM to do business with US Federal Government Agencies.

Apple’s target :-: Blackberry Pearl; touted as the first real “SmartPhone” the Blackberry Pearl is just a wonderful little device! Sure there are things about it that miss the mark. For example having your video relegated to 160x240 playback space, a camera that is worth two dead flies during dim lighting (never mind trying to take a photo of an object in motion), Camera that looses the 1280x1024 resolution when you zoom, no WiFI, no GPS, Can’t interact with all files stored on the SD Media Card, no over the air Video transfers, I could go on all day. Yeah I know all you sword divers, the 8800 is coming… If I had a nickel for every time someone said the next generation device is going to address that or have that I could quit my day job!

The bottom line is, if Apple markets the iPhone the same as the iPOD they will do fairly well but never really penetrate the enterprise business markets. Apple has always had issues playing the preverbal sandbox when it comes to sharing and integrating their technology. So if they continue with the same approach and/or adopt a model similar to Windows CE is surely will be as someone said in this thread a novelty device or the forgotten toy of the month. Personally I’m not really sure if I would replace my Pearl with an iPhone. But I do know that thin kernels are what handheld devices should run not complete OS’s. I will give kudos to Apple with regards to any of my iPOD (40GB Photo iPod, iPOD Mini or my iPOD Nano) devices; they never have had really had any firmware/os kernel issues or major bugs! Not that an iPOD’s kernel features are all that advanced! But yes you can run Linux on an iPOD. Why RIM still struggles in this day and age with their off shore developed kernel is beyond me! Between the BB_OS de-swizzling its memory space and countless number of undocumented 4.2.x.x releases I’d consider and welcome another platform.

For me I am a simple man in a complex world. Give me one device to get me through the day is all I ask. One device to integrate with Exchange Server 2003 and 2007, Wireless everything, a device that plays music and video, has a digital camera that actually takes good photos, video camera that does good video would be a bonus, has enough expandable NVRAM, GPS for Mapping, WiFI, is rugged and acts like a phone when I am on the phone.

Next time someone creates a poll there should be an option for undecided at this time! But you can better your @$$ I’ll be testing an iPhone and pulling it apart to see what makes it tick.

-just my 2c

"He who has not first laid his foundations, may with great ability, lay them afterwards, but they will be laid with trouble to the architect and a danger to the building."
-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 01-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #172
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

This has got to be the most thought out post i have seen in a long time. We are all looking for the best device and like the post says why be so loyal to a brand when tech changes so often. Well put dgman

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 01-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #173
BBAdmin

Model: .
Carrier: .

Why would I buy and iPhone to replace my BB? Unless you have a yahoo address you get no decent email features other than HTML viewing. Those who would trade in their BB's for an iPhone are fickle and looking for a toy, not a work tool.

Would you have a Ferrari over a Lambo? Would you be a cop or a robber? Would you buy a house by the sea or a house in the hills? These are examples of valid questions.

Would I drink beer or drink my own p**s? Would I quit my job in the office for benefit cheque? Would I swap my wife for my grandma? Would I trade in my BB for an iPhone? These are example of dumb questions.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #174
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Then the iphone is not for you sir.. dont piss on another mans parade

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 01-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #175
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint
Default ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
I can't believe everyone is so willing to jump on this without even looking at the shortcomings, or the "kinda-sorta" misrepresentations in the announcement. This has some severe shortcomings to be the (next in a long line of) "BlackBerry killers.
  • Push email? You betcha! Oh yeah, not for any business email though, unless your company is willing to change over to yahoo.com email addresses for everyone.

• Runs OS X? Oh absolutely! That is if you believe that the Q, BlackJack and others run "Windows."

• Has anyone stopped for a moment to consider the usability of the nifty touch screen interface (and NO keyboard!) for the stuff that is the bread & butter useage - email and text messaging?

iPhone Analysis: Apple's Revolution for the Few

Nope, I refuse to join the throngs who automatically bow down and genuflect at the throne of Apple and iStuff. I think once there's been a bit of time to truly analyze this, a lot who are singing the praises of Apple iPhone will reconsider. Just my opinion, I'm staying with my BlackBerry - and likely the 8800 or 8900!

Here's my two.

I was using PCs back before windows 3.1 ! I now and have owned Macs since the mid 90's. I am still forced to use PC, on biz travels here and there in the "complementary" office suits Biz centers at hotels, etc.

I have used both. I have maintained both. I would never buy another PC. MAC's are far better, friendlier, secure, easier to maintain IT wise, etc etc.

I love the 8703e. I hate having to use Pocketmac, just to get contacts and dates sync'd. What a pain.

Will I got to the Iphone? Yes. Will I stay? Yes.

Because even though it's slower. (For now at least).
And even though it's gonna be hellish, (SMS? Gonna be like fred Flinstone's bird chiseling dictation on a rock with his beak!)

And even though it cost a lot, (shite my 8703 was almost as much, and no MP3 no camera, etc etc.

I will finally be able to do what I need to do.

Carry one device.
Sync with confidence because it's not 3rd party. Its MAC OS X!
Play music.
Take an approval pic, (for my biz need a small camera with me always).
Send a brief text.
Make calls.
Yahoo push email.

I love my 8703e on Sprint. It's just not all that it can be. If this Iphone is what they say, (and I'm sure it's gonna have its problems, too. No blind faith here, mates), Then I will put up with slower first gen beta testing for not being treated like I’m on the inferior platform when the truth of all truth is MAC is the superior platform.

Now if VISTA is not the train wreck EVERYONE says it will be. I'm opened to régime change.

Also if it does not work at least the advertised speed function form...

Then 8800, how about you and I get some coffee and talk!

jmtc
Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #176
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgman
I find it extremely amusing that some of the posts bash Apple/MAC.

Does anyone really think their Windows PC is reliable? LOL! Let’s face it they send out more OS patches and security updates than the population count in China!

As far as all the PC lemmings out there...

a camera that is worth two dead flies...
Probably not quite as amusing though, as someone who says he finds it amusing when someone bashes Apple and then proceeds to take a large part of his post bashing everything NON-Apple instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgman
If I had a nickel for every time someone said the next generation device is going to address that or have that I could quit my day job!
Similarly to if I had a nickel for every time someone says the next Apple device is going to address that or have that?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #177
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn
This has got to be the most thought out post i have seen in a long time. We are all looking for the best device and like the post says why be so loyal to a brand when tech changes so often. Well put dgman
Thanks for the feedback Teamcrn! Nice to know someone gets it.

"He who has not first laid his foundations, may with great ability, lay them afterwards, but they will be laid with trouble to the architect and a danger to the building."
-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 01-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #178
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
Probably not quite as amusing though, as someone who says he finds it amusing when someone bashes Apple and then proceeds to take a large part of his post bashing everything NON-Apple instead.

Similarly to if I had a nickel for every time someone says the next Apple device is going to address that or have that?
Dallas huh... *****s and Steers right? LOL
You might want to re-read my post. I could careless about Apple or Microsoft for that matter. I find amusement when it comes to tech religion. I'd loveto see your comment what you would think was the best device in 1997... Now that would be funny. Don't be a lemming.

l8r
-dm

-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #179
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Im an apple guy i use PC because i have to at work. but i get phones and devices all the time. i have only had 2 devices long term. My moto Timeport 2way pager and Blackberry. all i can say is the Iphone looks good. if i can get it unlocked it will be great. if not i will buy it on cingular and get data only.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 01-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #180
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5
Here's my two.

I was using PCs back before windows 3.1 ! I now and have owned Macs since the mid 90's. I am still forced to use PC, on biz travels here and there in the "complementary" office suits Biz centers at hotels, etc.

I have used both. I have maintained both. I would never buy another PC. MAC's are far better, friendlier, secure, easier to maintain IT wise, etc etc.

I love the 8703e. I hate having to use Pocketmac, just to get contacts and dates sync'd. What a pain.

Will I got to the Iphone? Yes. Will I stay? Yes.

Because even though it's slower. (For now at least).
And even though it's gonna be hellish, (SMS? Gonna be like fred Flinstone's bird chiseling dictation on a rock with his beak!)

And even though it cost a lot, (shite my 8703 was almost as much, and no MP3 no camera, etc etc.

I will finally be able to do what I need to do.

Carry one device.
Sync with confidence because it's not 3rd party. Its MAC OS X!
Play music.
Take an approval pic, (for my biz need a small camera with me always).
Send a brief text.
Make calls.
Yahoo push email.

I love my 8703e on Sprint. It's just not all that it can be. If this Iphone is what they say, (and I'm sure it's gonna have its problems, too. No blind faith here, mates), Then I will put up with slower first gen beta testing for not being treated like I’m on the inferior platform when the truth of all truth is MAC is the superior platform.

Now if VISTA is not the train wreck EVERYONE says it will be. I'm opened to régime change.

Also if it does not work at least the advertised speed function form...

Then 8800, how about you and I get some coffee and talk!

jmtc
Hey JMTC

So you currently have one. Nice... Do you have a need to integrate with a corporate email platform such as Exchange or Notes? I figured that OSX mode'd phone might be clunky vs. a thin Kernel like BB_OS.

Yet I'm still intrigued! LOL

-=* Machiavelli *=-
Closed Thread