Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
1fish
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
PIN: Ummm... No?
Carrier: AT&T
Default Errors After Exchange is Temporarily Unavailable

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone else get a boat load of 20301 error messages in the BES server's event log after rebooting their exchange server? Yesterday, I rebooted our Exchange server and received a ton of "Unable to save configuration settings or statistics" for 3 users. Today, I had to quickly disable / re-enable the NIC on the Exchange server and got a lot of the same messages - for just 1 user (different than the 3 from yesterday). Since I have the server configured to send an email to me every time an error occurs, it quickly became quite annoying... To stop the errors, I logged into the BES server, opened the Blackberry Manager and restarted the service.

After a little bit of digging, I discovered that I had two different versions of Mapi32.dll. (They are all the same now.) I obviously don't have a great desire to take the Exchange server up and down just to see if this fixed it. (I'm sure Microsoft will give me a reason to do that soon enough.) In the mean time, does anyone have any other thoughts on what might be wrong?

• BlackBerry Enterprise Server Version: 4.1.4.12
  • Exchange 2003 SP 2
  • BES Mapi32.dll 6.5.7638.1 (now)
  • BES cdo.dll 6.5.7651.61
  • Exch Mapi32.dll 6.5.7638.1
  • Exch cdo.dll 6.5.7651.61
Old 01-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Just curious about how you corrected the MAPI32.dll. Did you run a service apck install or did you copy the file and user regsrv32 to register it?

When the BES can't contact the mialbox you will get those errors. The usually keeps trying until it gets access, not sure how many times or how often but it tends to try over and over again.

It could be caused by:

1. Network issues/latency
2. Corrupt maiobox
3. Exchange server is unavailable/offline

Those are the common ones that I've seen. Seeing as you rebooted the Exchange and also disbaled/enabled the NIC it's no surprise you got those.

A common practice as well is if you reboot the Exchange to reboot the BES as well because sometimes the MAPI sessions currently running on the BES can have issues then communicating with the Exchange server. Just thought I would throw that in.

Hope that makes things clear for ya.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
1fish
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
PIN: Ummm... No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_hg View Post
Just curious about how you corrected the MAPI32.dll. Did you run a service pack install or did you copy the file and user regsrv32 to register it?
I copied the file and registered it.

Nobody here could provide a valid explanation as to how / why / when it changed. Apparently, there are gremlins afoot.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish View Post
Apparently, there are gremlins afoot.
I was told the same thing late last year, when one of my Domino mail servers' underlying Windows time rolled forward 1 month. I caught it quickly and rolled back, but even so, by then the majority of DBs had time-stamped 1 month ahead, which messed up views, replication, everything. It was a total pain, no easy way to recover apart from delete affected DBs and recreate (not great plan with the CEO's 6GB mailfile) so I ended up running updall -r every day on the damaged DBs until reality caught up with the rolled time. A month of grief.

And still nobody from the Windows team will (or can) tell me what happened, or how to stop it happening again. Just gremlins and critters at work.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

If MAPI32.dll was updated just by copying it and registering it you should quickly re-install the Exchange System Management Tools and apply the correct service pack, SP2 is the highest for Exchange 2003.

I had a high end client who did that to 2 BES and they both went down. MAPI is a set of files, not just MAPI32.dll. It may work for now but you will more than likely encounter issues with MAPI causing the BES to have to be restarted a lot.

It might sound like a bit of work but you will save yourself a big headache when all the users start complaining about messaging and wireless sync issues. Especially when you have to keep rebooting each BES, causing the mailbox rescan over and over again.

A mismatch of MAPI32.dll can happen when you upgrade the Exchange System Management tools. It usually places the file in C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin but can also place it in C:\WINNT\System32. And when you upgrade it only upgrades one copy, gotta love Microsoft.

Usually just applying the right service pack will correct that and you can also search in the MAGT log for the registered version as well. Just search for mapi32.dll starting at the top, it's not far down.
Closed Thread