Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #21
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

BTW, I dug up a "low light" picture from by 8320 - just to show that the device can, in fact, take a superb picture in the dark:

cava on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My friend's photos with a real camera didn't even turn out that good, BlackBerry for the win!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #22
TonyMobile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: ball Wizard
Carrier: AT&T

Arguably, the camera sucks. But its nice to have when you need one:

* This past weekend, I took a pic of my wife with her brother's high school friend (they have not seen each other in years) and emailed to my brother in law from the phone.

* Ten minutes ago, I took a pic of my XM radio screen and emailed it to my brother because his band was on XMU. Here's the band :p The Brixton Riot

It's not great for taking your vacation pics with, but I like having it.

EDIT: Here's the pic. It sucks more than most because I had to cover the flash in order to not have a reflection on the screen.

Try a Search or see the BB FAQ

Last edited by TonyMobile; 04-11-2008 at 01:50 PM..
Old 04-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #23
vsheetz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

I have been working with it, changing setings, differing lighting conditions, cleaning the lens, etc. Some pictures are ok, some are not. So I guess it is as good as it gets. Again, I don't expect it to be a replacement for a decent dedicated digital camera. Agreed, it's good enough and handy for many situations.

Thanks all for the great input.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #24
rick chi-town
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: pin me to the wall.
Carrier: Sprint

Hey rivviepop, can I ask EXACTLY the settings you have on your camera phone? Your pics look great for a 2megapixel camera! I would like to set mine to your exact specs and see how my pics look!
Thanks
Rick
Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #25
MaxDiggity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

Same thing here, lens is as clean as it gets and I dont rush things so it can adjust to the light/whatever and yet the quality is worse than my Sony Ericsson K750i with its 1.5 megapixel camera...

Allright, did alot of testing today, it really depends on the light and a steady hand but then it's actually pretty sweet- shouldn't be sitting in a dark room all day I guess.

Last edited by MaxDiggity; 04-13-2008 at 12:30 AM..
Old 04-12-2008, 12:09 AM   #26
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhne
PIN: point

I have taken hundreds of pictures with my Curve because I have a 6 month old son and a real camera isn't always available. Anyway, they usually turn out pretty good, and the people I email them too never seem to complain. Like has been said though, it is hugely dependent on lighting and distance, as well as the steadiness of your hand.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #27
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick chi-town View Post
Hey rivviepop, can I ask EXACTLY the settings you have on your camera phone? Your pics look great for a 2megapixel camera! I would like to set mine to your exact specs and see how my pics look!
Thanks
Rick
Just the average here (really, this camera has no settings!) - superfine, store to SD card, no flash, white balance automatic, picture size large, color/viewfinder normal. As I mentioned, I honestly just think I got the luck of the draw...

Note that I do post-process some of them in the GIMP, I was talking to JSanders about this - I like to crop them and do slight adjustments in a somewhat artistic fashion. But some are right off the camera, usually the outdoor ones like this: london calling on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #28
sheik28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Taking pictures with the curve can be very tricky. Fort those 2 shots posted, yes you need more light or you need to hold the phone completly still. The slightest motion will cause blur. The orange tint is what happens when there is not enough light, as posted already it's noise.
These pics I took with my curve:

Less light

Please keep in mind that these have been resized. If you want links to the fullsized shots (i think I only have the first photo full sized), let me know

Last edited by sheik28; 04-12-2008 at 11:42 PM..
Old 04-22-2008, 04:49 AM   #29
bbnflpn

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulukia View Post
Welcome to the forums, bbnflpn.
Must be something different with the two models because mine looks pretty good.

"I guess once you start doubting, there's no end to it."
Batou, Ghost in the Shell
thank you, sorry i dont post here that often.

i find that it has everything to do with lighting, if the lighting is good then the pic is good regardless if the flash is in use or not

now i have had a unique problem as i have been through 4 phones since january, for some reason phones dont like me, and the batteries drain or the buttons dont work right, of course att decides that its a good idea to send out referbished phones, i dont think that they clear the phones before they send them out. i just got my 4th today and i am setting it up yet again, i have yet to take pics with it to see of the quality is any differnt.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #30
bbnflpn

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMobile View Post
Arguably, the camera sucks. But its nice to have when you need one:

* This past weekend, I took a pic of my wife with her brother's high school friend (they have not seen each other in years) and emailed to my brother in law from the phone.

* Ten minutes ago, I took a pic of my XM radio screen and emailed it to my brother because his band was on XMU. Here's the band :p The Brixton Riot

It's not great for taking your vacation pics with, but I like having it.

EDIT: Here's the pic. It sucks more than most because I had to cover the flash in order to not have a reflection on the screen.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4154/img00015mm5.jpg
i agree its awsome to have the phone when you need it, i use it alot at work, i sell tires, it comes in handy when i am trying to match an unfermilure tread design, and if i need to see on the other side of the tire with out lifting the car, (ie a guy came in and wanted to know if his rim was too damaged to use, i felt around for the damage and took a pic, lucky it has a flash so we could see how much damage was done, result, yes it was too much damgage he needs a new rim, or when i have my loose rims laying in the back shop and i dont feel like carrying them to the front so the customer can see, take a pic and show them the pic. or the other day i had a guy who lost a hub cap, i took a pic of the cap so when it comes in from the shop i know if it is right or not. also pics of random damage or unique tire punctures,

as you can see the quality varies this was taken with my previous phone (the one that im sending back right now) same day same min, same lighting conditions
semi ok pic

not so good pic
Old 04-22-2008, 07:07 AM   #31
sheldonbk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Personally, I tried taking it with on a holiday and my wife's digital camera took much better pics. From this thread, it sounds like a steady hand is very important. My digital camera has that stabilization feature, which lets me take great pics, even with a little shaking. I use my BB camera only for quick work pics where I have to show someone that there was garbage somewhere, etc. Quality isn't that important, just evidence.

What I don't understand is this... When digital cameras were just coming out, 2Megs was pretty good. At one time, I remember people saying that you really don't need more than 3-5Megs unless you're going to print a picture bigger than 4x6. I took some pretty good digital pics (with an older digital camera) at 5Megs that I blew up to 8x10 and they looked very good. So, we shouldn't really need more than 2 or 3 Megs, especially for web pics. So, there has to be something to the idea that the BB camera's really touchy to things like movement, etc.

Last edited by sheldonbk; 04-22-2008 at 07:09 AM..
Closed Thread