Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
nakedbroker

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Migration to Microsoft Exchange

Please Login to Remove!

My firm does not offer BES services or supports BB in anyway...yet. Thus far remote access to work emails was enabled through the web by an IMAP account etc. The firm offered Nokia E71s as a way to access email.
Since this instrument was very unsatisfactory to me, I invested in a BB 9000 & then 9700 and managed to configure access to work email without too much bother. My productivity went up phenomenally, even if I say so.
The firm has now migrated from a Java based webmail system to Microsoft Exchange - one can only hope as a precursor to finally offering BB to its beleaguered employees. Whether this happens or not is as yet unclear. What it has done is knock me off my work email access through the BB. Is there a work around this, apart from redirecting email to an external account and keeping computers on all the time?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Do they not offer POP or IMAP access? Talk to the IT Dept and see if they would be agreeable.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

See if the IT department will provide Outlook Web Access. If so you can gain access via BIS.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
nakedbroker

Apparently, once you migrate to Microsoft Exchange, you no longer have the capability to access mail through an IMAP account (they updated Nokia firmware on the phone and presto, Nokia now has pull email capability, although its still far from a BB in its capabilities).
Talking to the IT folk, as you might have guessed, is futile. If there was any IQ resident there at all, we'd have had BES years ago...
So, any other work arounds?
Old 08-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I'm wondering what they did to the Nokia to allow it to pull email. something does not sound right. did they add some type of identification to the phone that allows access to your internal network? Or maybe use the phone's ID to allow access?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
BB_Paws

Carrier: AT&T

Your Nokia E71 is most likely using the Mail for Exchange application to access your mailbox via ActiveSync. Unless your Exchange Admin allows access via POP, IMAP or OWA you won't be able to access via BIS.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbroker View Post
Talking to the IT folk, as you might have guessed, is futile. If there was any IQ resident there at all, we'd have had BES years ago...
I'd go easy on the criticizing IT in here. Most of us answering your questions are IT folks.

Unless you had Exchange, Notes or Groupwise, you couldn't have had BES years ago. You now have Exchange. They may implement it. IT saying no does not mean there is no plan. It may means they won't or likely can't discuss it with users right now.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
nakedbroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
I'd go easy on the criticizing IT in here. Most of us answering your questions are IT folks.

Unless you had Exchange, Notes or Groupwise, you couldn't have had BES years ago. You now have Exchange. They may implement it. IT saying no does not mean there is no plan. It may means they won't or likely can't discuss it with users right now.
Thanks for that pointer and point taken.
Having said that please do concede that I might actually know what's happening within my own firm and IT initiatives, or lack of.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
nakedbroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Paws View Post
Your Nokia E71 is most likely using the Mail for Exchange application to access your mailbox via ActiveSync. Unless your Exchange Admin allows access via POP, IMAP or OWA you won't be able to access via BIS.
Thanks, thought that might be the case but was hoping otherwise.
It's clear enough now. Back to the Nokia, it is for the time being.
Closed Thread