Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Video of new BB 9900/9930 models

Please Login to Remove!

The fluid graphics and performance look very good. Enjoy.

YouTube - ‪RIM Blackberry Bold Touch 9900 / 9930 Hands-on‬‏
Old 07-04-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
BCCaper
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9790
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: Video of new BB 9900/9930 models

Not too sure why someone would want a CDMA version of this device. Its bad enough that Blackberry is behind the times as it is but to get the non-hspa version seems like an even bigger step backward. In today's mobile market I find it somewhat suprising that cellular manufacturers still produce CDMA devices.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

terrible focus on the vid
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCaper View Post
Not too sure why someone would want a CDMA version of this device. Its bad enough that Blackberry is behind the times as it is but to get the non-hspa version seems like an even bigger step backward. In today's mobile market I find it somewhat suprising that cellular manufacturers still produce CDMA devices.
One of the largest carriers in the U.S. is CDMA, as well as one of the smaller carriers. If you are a user choosing the carrier that provides the best service where you live, work, and travel, and that carrier is one of these two, then you need a CDMA device. And if you are making mobile devices for those customers, then you make CDMA devices.

Of course if someone wants to avoid CDMA on principle and pay higher price or pay for poorer service in order to do so, that's their prerogative.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
rdef
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ATT

I see RIM--in its infinite wisdom--is using the same crappy top buttons (back, phone, menu) that it used on the Torch.

It's always nice when buttons peel off. Why would they do such a cheap and idiotic thing on their flagship device?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Thiego-uk

Model: SGS2
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdef View Post
I see RIM--in its infinite wisdom--is using the same crappy top buttons (back, phone, menu) that it used on the Torch.

It's always nice when buttons peel off. Why would they do such a cheap and idiotic thing on their flagship device?
How did you make them peel off?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
jimfraser

Model: Q10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
One of the largest carriers in the U.S. is CDMA, as well as one of the smaller carriers. If you are a user choosing the carrier that provides the best service where you live, work, and travel, and that carrier is one of these two, then you need a CDMA device. And if you are making mobile devices for those customers, then you make CDMA devices.

Of course if someone wants to avoid CDMA on principle and pay higher price or pay for poorer service in order to do so, that's their prerogative.
Bell and Telus, Canada's no. 2 and 3 carriers, respectively, overlayed their entire (formerly CDMA only) networks with hspa a couple of years ago. Rogers the largest mobile operator in Canada switched from TDMA to gsm and eventually hspa years ago, about the same time as AT&T. As far as I know there are no moble networks in Canada which are CDMA only (except perhaps very local small networks).
As a sponsor of the winter Olympics in Vancouver in January 2010, Bell realized that virtually no-one outside of NA at the Olympics would be able to use its network and saw where the future was and brought its entire network up to hspa in a very short time.
It is time for Verizon to see the future.
For the time being, however, Verison is a major mobile network, if not no. 1 then no.2 in the US which cannot be ignored.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
jimfraser

Model: Q10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdef View Post

I have had my torch since launch in Canada (Sept 30 2010) and never have had a hint of an issue with the buttons or anything else with the torch, except perhaps a little play in the slide out keyboard.
In fact while on vacation in Kenya in early May, my torch was grabbed by a monkey when it was lying out on my balcony waiting for a gps fix. The back was taken off and the battery pulled out, then dropped from 3 stories up. Hotel staff retrieved the three parts. I put them together and it worked perfectly (a tooth mark on the battery and a few claw marks on the front and back though)! Try that with an iPhone.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Re the crappy top buttons observed in the video, perhaps what is in the video is not a full rate production unit? I don't know. Just asking. Curious.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
rdef

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfraser View Post
I have had my torch since launch in Canada (Sept 30 2010) and never have had a hint of an issue with the buttons or anything else with the torch, except perhaps a little play in the slide out keyboard.
In fact while on vacation in Kenya in early May, my torch was grabbed by a monkey when it was lying out on my balcony waiting for a gps fix. The back was taken off and the battery pulled out, then dropped from 3 stories up. Hotel staff retrieved the three parts. I put them together and it worked perfectly (a tooth mark on the battery and a few claw marks on the front and back though)! Try that with an iPhone.
There were quite a few posts about this early on. Here's a pic of mine:

Closed Thread