Old 02-21-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Slippery
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Default Caller ID always unknown

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all-

I have a GroupWise BES with 17 users currently activated. Anytime one of my users gets a call the number always displays 'unknown number', this even happens if the caller is in the blackberry user's address book.

This has only just started happening, I'd say, about a month ago. Is this a carrier issue, or could I have reset something on the BES inadvertantly?

Any help is humbley recieved.

Slip
Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

I'd check with the carrier to make sure that the call display feature has not been removed from the account.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
Kablooey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25ee2d53
Carrier: AT&T and Verizon 9650

If your BlackBerry is 4.0.0.XX version, you may want to try to "resort" the address book by going to Address book>Options and change the sort by option to last name or first name, dependant on the current setting. Then when it has finished sorting the name try a call and see if it works. You also may want to check if the user has content protection enabled on their device...i have found this is the root of the bug with the early 4.0 handheld software caller ID issues.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
BlackBerryLinks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone

Support - Caller name is not displayed
Last Updated: 23 February 2006
Article Number: KB-04903
Summary

This article applies to the following:

* BlackBerry® wireless device
* BlackBerry Device Software 4.0 and 4.1

Problem

You receive a phone call on your BlackBerry device, which is locked. The phone number is displayed, but not the name of the caller. The caller’s name and phone number are stored in the Address Book on your device.

However, if the device is unlocked and the same contact calls your device, both the name and phone number are displayed.
Cause

You have Content Protection enabled on the device.
Resolution

Disable Content Protection.

1. Follow the directions according to which device or device software you are using.
* If you are using a BlackBerry 7100 Series device, from the Home Screen go to Tools > Settings > Security > Content Protection.
* If you are using a BlackBerry Wireless Handheld™ running 4.0 device software, from the Home Screen go to Options > Security > Content Protection.
* If you are using a handheld running 4.1 device software, from the Home Screen go to Options > Security > General Settings > Content Protection.
2. Scroll down to Content Protection, and click the trackwheel. Select Change Option.
3. Select Disabled. Click the trackwheel again and select Save to save your changes.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Kablooey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25ee2d53
Carrier: AT&T and Verizon 9650

The problem that I am referring to is more of a bug rather that a feature. The feature you are referring to is that the user must enter his password to have access to the content protected information. What I am referring to is a bug that I was present in the 4.0.0.xx handheld software that would not display the caller information if the address database had "bad" data in it. A re-sort of the address book would correct the problem and the caller id would work...but usually this was only temporary...eventually, the issue would return. This issue was primarily noted on the 7510 and the 7520 handhelds.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
dmccann
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

I have no idea how it got enabled on mine, but I am so glad I am able to turn it off. You can't make calls from your address book with the content protection enabled and the handheld locked. You actually have to know peoples numbers.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccann
You actually have to know peoples numbers.
That causes me a lot of trouble. I have never remembered phone numbers very well myself. As an example, my wife has had the same cell phone number for over two years now. I have to look it up probably 9 out of every 10 times I call her.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-14-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

i have the same problem with my bb 7290 with cingular and i have just given up and its horrible and nothing has been done to fix it.. i called cingular to make sure call block was not on and i made sure my phone number is not set to private and stil everything incoming is Unknons Number, not even the phone number shows up
Closed Thread