Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #21
aodio

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ICE
Default Important if you have multiple users on the PC

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, in Windows 7, when you have multiple users on the PC, the file ip_modem_configuration.xml that you need to modify is located at:
c:/users/"your user name"/appdata/roaming/researchinmotion/blackberry

If you change the AT&T section as follows, the ip modem icon will appear:
<carrier uid="102" id="AT&amp;T" enabled="true">
<vendorid>102</vendorid>
<supportednetwork>GSM</supportednetwork>
<apn>wap.cingular</apn>
Old 07-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #22
traveler20
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT1950 View Post
Since I received no replies to my question, I decided to contact Verizon directly. They told me that since I would be using my blackberry as a modem, the charge would be an additional $30 per month which is above and beyond the $30 a month I am paying for an unlimited data plan. Guess I won't be using their IP Modem option in the desktop manager.
That’s not correct. I recently asked the same questions, with regard to tethering a Blackberry with an unlimited data plan, and was told it was $15/month (which is what it has been for a while), but that the tethering app has a 5 gb/month limit, anything above that would be charged an additional volume fee (similar to the aircard plans).

Better alternative would be PDANet, which doesn’t require any additional charges, except for the app itself. A competitive app would be USB Modem, however the author was not very responsive to my last serious connection problem with his product. Both apps are available for more than one platform, including Blackberry.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #23
traveler20
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpitre View Post
Ocassionally, BB Desktop Manager will reset the value to False, in the ip_modem_configuration.xml. This is happening because the wireless provider has disabled this option, so BB DM disables it. So once in a while, the ip_modem_configuration.xml file will need to be changed. I created a copy with the correct changes, then created a batch file that copies the modified file and replaces the original one. Then just, close re-open DM, and it works OK. Those wireless providers want to charge for everything, that is why the do it.

PS : On Windows 7, this file is locked, even with administrator privieleges I cannot modify this file, and many other system files. I need to find out how to work this in Windows 7. At least for Windows XP, with Administrator privileges it works OK.
Are you suggesting that the wireless carriers have a killswitch on MY desktop? Unless if I’m allowing an application package update, absolutely NOTHING should be modifying the desktop application, or for that matter, anything else on my computer.

Unless if another app on the computer has messed with it (Like Itunes and other apps, that remove other applications’ functionality in order that it is selected as defaults in place of competitors’ software product installed on your PC), nothing should change.

I found that IP Modem didn’t show up as an option unless if I was installing the desktop redirector, too. If you’re missing it with the current BB desktop manager, download the latest install package (if you don’t already have it) and re-install it on top of your current desktop manager. But at the beginning, choose the option for corporate email (rather than internet-only personal email). That should add a few options to the main menu, and you don’t have to use the redirector, but the IP Modem option should be there.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #24
danwan

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: digicel

Ip modem for windows 7
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread