Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #21
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

When you walk out of range. The connection will sever 25-30 ft range. When you walk back in range the jabone an bt will reestablish itself.

When these events occour yoi will see the folloing dialogs

Handsfree connection lost

Jawbon conection reestablished.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #22
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

update:
i got it in the mail. waited a good 6 days, but it arrived. ::HALTED:: by the unbelievably hard time i've had for about 2 hours to try and get this thing on and into the ear canal snug. i tried all 4 earloops with various combinations of eartips, even slightly bending the earloops to form around my ears correctly and prevent the silly spring loaded earloop holder from pushing the headset away from my ear.

the discovery 640 i have is no where near the build quality, and although i found the earhook attachment for it quite flimsy, when it's on my ear it fits perfect and the eartip is very comfortable. when it's on, i can sprint or turn my head quickly, it will not even budge. the jawbone on the other hand with alot less effort and not that much head movement will go flying off my ear and onto pavement.....

spoke with Aliph to make sure, they told me to go buy "jabra" eartips and pop them on. I told them to go shove it for this 120, and asked for an RMA number which they gave me, so i can send it back. and i haven't even turned it on to see how it sounds.

so my take on the jawbone - - what good is the most technologically advanced bluetooth headset in the world - - if it doesn't fit right ?

Last edited by zero7404; 07-25-2007 at 07:29 PM..
Old 07-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #23
zero7404

bump
Old 07-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #24
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Hey it woks with your 8800' voice dialing too.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #25
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
so my take on the jawbone - - what good is the most technologically advanced bluetooth headset in the world - - if it doesn't fit right ?
That applies to any bluetooth headset. It has to fit properly/comfortably as well as perform well.

Last edited by takeshi; 07-26-2007 at 06:45 AM..
Old 07-26-2007, 07:04 AM   #26
zero7404

i looked @ the box one more time last nite, decided to crack it open and give it another chance - - the verdict there: NOPE, again !

i plugged it in, the manual says ~2 hrs to full charge. 3+ hrs & going and the red LED is still lit (still charging)....

i unplug it from power, and pair it up to my pearl fine. but then i try to turn it off, guess what ? the buttons are not responsive....won't turn off. so i reset it. tried to power it up and nothing.

so i'm still sending it back with some comments/feedback for Aliph in the box (hand written, for that 'personal touch').

perhaps they might find the right balance between technology and everything else. one thing i hate with bt headsets is that you need to press and hold something in order to turn it on or off. that's not very easy to do in daylight in the car when you can't really see the LED status of the unit in bright light. better to have a physical on/off switch. you know turn it to ON for power and OFF for no power. only hs i know that does that is the motorola flip-boom type.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #27
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

yeah....i've been using my jawbone for about 3 months.....I HATE THE WAY IT FITS!!

I've tried every config imaginable...it just doesn't fit right in my ear!

OH well, at $120, i've got no choice but to keep it for awhile.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #28
zero7404

alas my fellow bluetooth druggies, do not worry as i have included a nice writeup and some diagrams in the return box.

if i really thought this hs was worth it, i would have kept it and modded it to my liking, including that stupid spring load that tends to pull the eartip AWAY from your ear canal instead of TOWARDS it.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #29
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

I'm WAY happy with mine! I have the Ear Jel mod with the longest Ear Jel. A little hard to get on but when it's there it stays put and is comfortable! The volume is great with the mod!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 07-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #30
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
I'm WAY happy with mine! I have the Ear Jel mod with the longest Ear Jel. A little hard to get on but when it's there it stays put and is comfortable! The volume is great with the mod!

E-
what kind of ear jel mod is this ? pls explain.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #31
herskovitz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I had the Jawbone for 24 hours and returned it.

I also spent hours trying every combination of earhook and earbud but no matter what after 20-30 minutes of wear my ear starts to hurt.

After researching the situation I bought the Jabra eargels and it didn't help at all.

While everyone I talked to while wearing said I sounded great; incoming sound is very tinny.

I suppose if you worked in a noisy environment this headset would be better but the uncomfortable fit was the deal-breaker for me.

Brian
Old 07-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #32
gadgetjunkies
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using

I have the Plantronics 640, 645, 655 and the Jawbone. When I was using any of the Plantronics people were complaining that I sounded like I was in a deep well when using it with either my 8100 or 8300. I could hear them fine but they could not hear me. I switched to the Jawbone and while the fit is not as comfortable as the Plantronics it works much better. Took some getting used to but is by far the best sounding in my personal opinion which to me is all that matters. The Jawbone may not be for everyone, it's a personal thing.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #33
x14

Model: 9800

I've done a couple of conference call from the bus using Jawbone and not once did I get a complaint about noise.

I also had the Platronics Voyager 510 and got complaint about noise when I was making a call outside. Had to constantly mute/unmute when on a conference call.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #34
zero7404

supposedly, the jawbone is a very good device. so i decided to try it again and get another one after i sent back the first one that also turned out to be a dud.

this time, it seems more bearable if you learn how to put it on. i also tried 2 different styles of eargels from jabra. the eargels that jabra make are similar to plantronics, they have a tacky feel and tend to hold on to skin better than the eartips that come with the jawbone.

but right now, i am using the jawbone eartip, it doesn't go right into my ear canal (which is what i want) but the volume is sufficient and the other side likes the call quality.

in the meantime i'll keep searching for eartips that might work perfect with this headset, or else i might be able to make my own....
Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #35
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to turn the jawbone on and off? I dont keep the headset on all day long so I've been using a Motorola h700 that turns on and off fast (pairs to my blackberry) with the flip of the microphone. I dont think the jawbone can do this type of use or can it??
Old 08-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #36
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I've had the jawbone for a few weeks (having also gone through a Moto HS850 and a couple of other common BT headphones).

Re: "turn on / off" - very quick and easy: press the end of the noise shield (the end toward the black plastic part of the unit) for a couple of secs, and it turns on/off - on indicated by a sustained blue flash, off by a sustained red flash). This has been quick and reliable.

Re: fit and ear gels: I was incredibly annoyed by the original fit of the unit, and considered returning it, but was truly reluctant to go through the hassle, and then have to find another unit (tired of my HS850 and its low volume and cheesy construction). Had I not discovered the jabra ear gel mod, however, I would have ditched the jawbone, as it simply didn't work for me. The jawbone "gel" (which is really a thin rubber cover over a hard plastic disk - not soft at all), would *never* stay put in my earl, and the whole thing kept falling off my ear entirely. Also, as the earpiece kept shifting even when on, volume would come and go, and the whole experience was truly disappointing.

So: I read some articles about the ear gel mod, ran out to Best Buy and picked up one of the two last sets of Jabra replacement MiniGels (not the big regular ones - definitely get the mini gels) for $6 and change. Took off the Jawbone gel (it's a twist-lock fit - comes right off). The Jabra mini gel has no twist lock disk - it's a solid molded gel made of silicone, and the opening stretches snugly over the Jawbone earpiece when you remove the Jawbone twist-off piece.

Took a bit of playing to get the angle on the elongated Jabra mini gel so that it matched the angle of my ear canal relative to the Jawbone. I also had to play with the wire ear hook a bit as well to get everything lined up right.

Overall, it's a finicky fit, and a bit more cumbersome than you'd think is really necessary. But once it's all set right like this, the sound is tremendously improved over the default Jawbone sound, and the fit is improved as well. It's far more comfortable now, and doesn't flop off my ear anymore.

I'm not totally thrilled with the Jawbone considering what it cost me and what I have to do to make it usable. But I'm ok with it for now, and will continue using it until I see something demonstrably better.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #37
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Re: "turn on / off" - very quick and easy: press the end of the noise shield (the end toward the black plastic part of the unit) for a couple of secs, and it turns on/off - on indicated by a sustained blue flash, off by a sustained red flash). This has been quick and reliable.
i don't see this happening on mine. only part of the noise shield button that is press-able is the part right up against the LED. and the only colors i saw come out of this is red/white, so blue is something new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Re: fit and ear gels: I was incredibly annoyed by the original fit of the unit, and considered returning it, but was truly reluctant to go through the hassle, and then have to find another unit (tired of my HS850 and its low volume and cheesy construction). Had I not discovered the jabra ear gel mod, however, I would have ditched the jawbone, as it simply didn't work for me. The jawbone "gel" (which is really a thin rubber cover over a hard plastic disk - not soft at all), would *never* stay put in my earl, and the whole thing kept falling off my ear entirely. Also, as the earpiece kept shifting even when on, volume would come and go, and the whole experience was truly disappointing.

So: I read some articles about the ear gel mod, ran out to Best Buy and picked up one of the two last sets of Jabra replacement MiniGels (not the big regular ones - definitely get the mini gels) for $6 and change. Took off the Jawbone gel (it's a twist-lock fit - comes right off). The Jabra mini gel has no twist lock disk - it's a solid molded gel made of silicone, and the opening stretches snugly over the Jawbone earpiece when you remove the Jawbone twist-off piece.

Took a bit of playing to get the angle on the elongated Jabra mini gel so that it matched the angle of my ear canal relative to the Jawbone. I also had to play with the wire ear hook a bit as well to get everything lined up right.

Overall, it's a finicky fit, and a bit more cumbersome than you'd think is really necessary. But once it's all set right like this, the sound is tremendously improved over the default Jawbone sound, and the fit is improved as well. It's far more comfortable now, and doesn't flop off my ear anymore.

I'm not totally thrilled with the Jawbone considering what it cost me and what I have to do to make it usable. But I'm ok with it for now, and will continue using it until I see something demonstrably better.
i agree with you. what i went and did was go to both verizon and bestbuy, at verizon i found the large ugly ones and bought them. then i went to bestbuy and found the mini ones and bought those too.

surprisingly, i found that if you picked the right eargel from the large ugly ones, and just inserted the eargel into the ear canal, it was extremely comfy and felt just right. that tab they designed into it helps push the rest of the eargel into your ear, and it hangs on real well. BUT it won't work really well with the headset because if you put it on the standard jawbone earbud you now have a huge earbud that will give you difficulty trying to get the headset on when driving or something. on the other hand if you remove the jawbone eartip and try to put the ugly jabra eargel on, it's not snug on and can fall off.

on the mini eargel side, the small ones with the short tip seemed to work ok, but the ones with the long tip work much better. i am not too happy about how they fit on the jawbone, although it's snug, it's still not holding onto much and can come off.

the earhooks are another moron-creation. they need bending to get perfect around the ear. but if you bend it a few times when on the headset, the slim prong that goes in the headset will snap off. this happened to me on the first headset. not to mention additional bending around the periphery to get it more comfy.

lastly, the part on the headset that holds the hook is spring loaded. and it's such that when using the headset with the oem eartips, it will tend to want to pull away from your ear canal. i just hate that. i'm used to using etymotic er-4's and i insert those IN my ear canal (probably the best earphone experience i've ever had, worth the money especially when you're on a flight).

all these issues with the fit on this thing and how the sensor needs to be in contact with your cheek in order for the thing to work right spells trouble. and it's happened to me a few times where i talk and the other person doesn't quite hear it. also, what happens if i don't feel like shaving....will that stupid sensor be moving around on my scruff, making my words into something different ? military-code from a military grade product !

Dear Aliph: get thing thing right, will you ?

Last edited by zero7404; 08-01-2007 at 04:51 PM..
Old 08-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #38
brandonmurdoch

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Default Love it

I have the 8830 on verizon and the black jawbone. It has been by far the best bluetooth I have ever had. I agree that it isn't the most comfortable, but I have purchased 5 or 6 other headsets over the years and never used them more than a week or so.

The noise canceling works as promised. I work around construction sites with heavy equipment as well as I have a really noisy car. When I talk in the car, most think I am at the office and when I switch to the handset they can't believe the difference it makes.

I think it's worth every penny.

Brandon M.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #39
gadgetjunkies
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilguy View Post
Can anyone tell me how easy it is to turn the jawbone on and off? I dont keep the headset on all day long so I've been using a Motorola h700 that turns on and off fast (pairs to my blackberry) with the flip of the microphone. I dont think the jawbone can do this type of use or can it??
The on/off button is on the gray "grill" part of the Jawbone. It's almost hidden. Just press and hold it until it lights up.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #40
Teledatageek
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have the Jawbone and a 8830. The quality is pretty good but I find the headset a bit of a pain to put on quickly and it's not so great with sunglasses.

Has anyone tried the Gennum nX6000? Looks pretty good. I tried one of their early versions and it wasn't so great from a build quality standpoint, but hopefully that's improved. I queried the folks at Blueheadset.com about using with BB and they said the only BT headset they recommend for the BB is the RIM/Blackberry HS655. That seems odd to me as I have had a couple of Plantronic headsets in the same family (not specifically the BB models) and while they have been OK, they pick up noise like crazy and were virtually unusable in an airport.

Any input would be appreciated. Also wondered about the iPhone headset.....

Thanks!
Closed Thread